HW's 240 or less dropping to LHW?

Sickplicity

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know they're doing fine right now.

But honestly, say HW fighters who fight at 240 or less decide to drop down to LHW, what would be some interesting matches?

Examples of fighters who are 240 or less.

Cain Velasquez - 240LBS.
Junior Dos Santos - 239LBS.
Daniel Cormier - 230LBS.
Cheick Kongo - 229LBS.

& hell just for the fun of it.

Roy Nelson - 252LBS last fight, but could potentially drop down.

I'd love to see Cheick Kongo go at it w/ strikers like Cyrille Diabate.

DC vs. Rashad Evans, Chael Sonnen or Jon Jones.

Cain vs. The Same as DC.

JDS vs. Jon Jones, Shogun Rua or Alexander Gustafsson, Gustafsson vs. JDS would be a boxing war!

There will be some really angry and bitter guys in this thread.

I thought Cormier was like 248? Was he 230 for his fight against Staring?

Why would you want a HW division with like 10 fighters?

Cain and Daniel I can see making the drop if they strict out their diet since they have quite a bit of excess fat, Junior however is at the same weight and very lean. Kongo could practically cut from where he is.

I thought Cormier was like 248? Was he 230 for his fight against Staring?

Yeah he was 230 against Staring and he says he wants to fight Jones after Mir. But why should HWs drop to LHW if they are top 5/champs at HW it doesn't make sense and Kongo would have to lose some muscle to fight at 205 he has a very very low BF %

Oh, and lol at anyone who ever thought Roy could make 205.

I think your asking the wrong question. Why aren't larger LHW's skipping the whole dropping 20+ pounds and coming up to fight "the baddest fighters on the planet"?

Do it like Edgar and Cruz did, until you cant be on the very top but still top 5, then drop down and dominate the lower division.

Kongo is lean and mean at 230 he's not losing any more weight and i really don't see him attempting a 25 pound water cut lol.

Yeah he weighed in at 230 against Staring.

Yeah he was 230 against Staring and he says he wants to fight Jones after Mir. But why should HWs drop to LHW if they are top 5/champs at HW it doesn't make sense and Kongo would have to lose some muscle to fight at 205 he has a very very low BF %

Thanks guys, didn't know he was already taking the cut seriously. He still has a lot of water weight which is pretty good as far as cutting more weight goes. I hope him and Cain can eventually fight eachother one day though, personal dream match for me.

i dont think kongo could make 205 without a trip to the hospital. roy nelson definitely could make 205 though.

Back