Huge asteroid due to pass into Earth's orbit

300m or 57 meters, we could destroy/split them with nukes.

Its the ones that would kill us all that are to big to destory (Mile+).
For them current theory is to launch something close to it and get that to pull it across with its own gravitational pull. And even thats a very long short.

Maybe this has been posted already, but I have a question about it. If this asteroid is passing through Earth's orbit, within the same space currently occupied by our thousands of satalites, what exactly is stopping this from being grabbed into Earth's gravitational pull? Shouldn't the asteroid be pulled toward earth if it's coming so close? I'm seriously curious about this. Maybe it's a stupid question. I only have a sci-fi fan understanding of science.

ALSO, they called it Apophis, named after the Egyptian god of death and destruction.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/celestial-flybys-set-thrill-033724637.html

How do you think our Rockets are able to leave Earth?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity

Escape_velocity

its eventually going to hit, unless another force acts upon it.

300m or 57 meters, we could destroy/split them with nukes.

Its the ones that would kill us all that are to big to destory (Mile+).
For them current theory is to launch something close to it and get that to pull it across with its own gravitational pull. And even thats a very long short.

i believe the 'oh fuck' asteroids are >2 kilometers. my personal feeling is that it would take something significantly larger than that to cause worldwide devastation, but i guess thats why they went to ivy league schools and im just another asshole posting on sherdog.

i believe the 'oh fuck' asteroids are >2 kilometers. my personal feeling is that it would take something significantly larger than that to cause worldwide devastation, but i guess thats why they went to ivy league schools and im just another asshole posting on sherdog.

I hope they didn't overlook the fact that most of it will burn up upon entry into the atmosphere. That would make ivy league look pretty ghetto

A little example.

The Barringer Crater in Arizona
-1200m in diameter
-impact meteor was 50m in diameter

800px-Meteor_Crater_-_Arizona.jpg

dsc_6276.jpg

It's not about size alone. Velocity plays a huge part here.

So interesting.

It's not about size alone. Velocity plays a huge part here.

So interesting.

not to forget the aftereffects (tsunamis,extreme cooling period which leads to the food chain breaking down)
A Asteroid/Comet doesnt have to split the planet in half to wipe us out

You've probably stumbled on to something that the scientists at NASA missed.

Also, now that I found the Wiki article might as well post the part about possible impact effects.

So California is at no risk of a direct hit. But a tsunami like this would probably be the worse option.

Won't matter then. By then all houses will be on stilts - zombie apocalypse.

Nice to see the doom sayers have a new poster boy. maybe this time we won't be left disappointed.

Somebody call Bruce Willis now

Yeah, I mean we're only 12 years away from flying cars.

And more importantly, flying skateboards.:icon_lol:

According to back to the future 2 we are 2 years away.

Back