How's this (routine)

razmataz1314

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I bet there has never been one of these topics before!

I skimmed the stickies and didn't see anything specifically against this though so...

how's this for someone JUST starting out with exercise. goals fat loss and strength gain. I figured I'd go into a routine looking for general fitness before focusing on more concrete things like cutting or bulking specifically. I'm ~225, ~6ft and weak as a seagull (i.e. most of my weight is fat!).

monday/wednesday/friday:
warmup on jumprope, and for each exercise do 10-15 on a very light weight as a warmup before going to the normal reps:

squats 3x8-10
dumbell lunges 3x8-10
calf raises 3x8-10
bench 3x8-10
deadlift 3x8-10
barbell rows 3x8-10
arnold dumbell press 3x8-10
dumbell shrugs 3x8-10
barbell curls 3x8-10
dips 3x8-10
weighted situps 3x8-10
pinching weights (for grip)

tuesday/thursday:

jumprope cardio
5min warmup
20sec hard
1min average pace
20sec hard 1min average pace
....repeat for ~15mins total...
5min cooldown

Ok so that's it. too much? too little? missing something? doing somehting worthless? stupid noob for posting this topic? anything else of relevence?

Also, what is a good way to keep track of progress? I mean the obvious way would be weighing myself and by how much I'm lifting, but what differences should I look for to make sure I'm making satisfactory progress?

I'd imagine that since I'm brand new to this, my gains will probably be fast and furious for a bit until I get a decent fitness level, then gains will be harder. Is that true?

Any of the sticky links that are particularly good to look at (i don't have time for them all!)

THANK

no time to go full into this but for starters, more cardio!
longer warmups!
how is your diet?
IMO, full body workouts r not the way to go>

Benching, Squatting, and Deadlifting all in one day three times a week will put you on the fast track to no improvement. Read the stickies.

BabyPhenom, are you serious? Don't you think 33 sets of 11 different exercises (3 of which are the big three) is a bit over the top?

He's stil new so it will work for the meantime, as he progresses, that's when you start eliminating the unnecessary. If you train frequently but don't train to failure, you may make good gains.

HULKAMANIA said:
BabyPhenom, are you serious? Don't you think 33 sets of 11 different exercises (3 of which are the big three) is a bit over the top?

I could see that if he were specifically training lightly on these to induce anatomical adaptation. As far as I know, though, he's trying to push himself. I think if he broke that down he'd be making better progress and learning better habits. I don't, however, claim to have omniscience on the matter. Perhaps some other opinions would be useful.

I'm with Hulkamania on this. It looks like you're lifting 3 days a week and doing cardio on 2. Divvy up those 3 lifting days. (Same excersises re-grouped below)

Mon: Squats, lunges, calves, weighted sit-ups
Wed: Bench, Dips, Arnold Presses, shrugs
Fri: Deadlifts, barbell rows, barbell curls, grip work

I can't even imagine how long you'd be in the gym on the first lifting program. Let cardio and nutrition take care of the bodyfat. Lifting is for building muscle. Try to get it done in under an hour and get out of there to consume some protein and start recovering.

(Not that this is the best in-depth program. But a better way to take the same elements you posted and give them a bit more sense.)

Let me add to what I posted earlier:

The cardio and the diet will tke care of fat loss. The weight training is for building muscle. I can suggest you spli your routine by movements and not bodyparts.

A good list of exercises. Now go and spread them over threee days.

44 sets 3 times a week! Jesus christ, apart from being in the gym for about 4 hours at a time, you are seriously overtraining yourself. I suggest you break this routine up over three days with a pull, press, squat routine.

Its a fairly good list of excersices.. If you spread them out on 3 days as already mentioned.

I would recomend chins over barbel curls. Also think you should do some straight leged deadlifts or goodmornings on the squat day. If it gets to much ditch the calf raises..

From a bulk of the excersices you liked it would look something like this..

Squat day: Squats, lunges, stiffleg deadlift, (calf raises).

Push day: Bench, arnold press, dips, (shrugs)

Pull day: Deadlift, barbel row, chins, (shrugs), (curls)
Shrugs could go on either your push day or you pull day, I would put them on the pull day if you ditch the curls, otherwise on your push day...
You could throw in one excersice for the abs and one for the grip every workout. First rule of getting a good grip is never ever use straps!

The stickies is all good man, but you dont have to read them right now -this second-, take your time man. But if your serious about training there is no "not having time", it should be a lifelong search of geting better. My sugestion is that you focusing on everything that you can get your hands on that will better your squat, deadlift, bench or your overhead press since that is the lifts that really matter.

Getting good with rope jumping is an excellent start, but in the long run you would be better of with variyng it more..

KOU In3 said:
I'm with Hulkamania on this. It looks like you're lifting 3 days a week and doing cardio on 2. Divvy up those 3 lifting days. (Same excersises re-grouped below)

Mon: Squats, lunges, calves, weighted sit-ups
Wed: Bench, Dips, Arnold Presses, shrugs
Fri: Deadlifts, barbell rows, barbell curls, grip work

I can't even imagine how long you'd be in the gym on the first lifting program. Let cardio and nutrition take care of the bodyfat. Lifting is for building muscle. Try to get it done in under an hour and get out of there to consume some protein and start recovering.

(Not that this is the best in-depth program. But a better way to take the same elements you posted and give them a bit more sense.)

I like this split. And on tuesday thursdays do fst paced (but good form) body weight routine/ burpees/sprints.

sprints will make the weight drop. Once you build up your stamina and if you have time do them in the AM and a longer jog at night.

EDIT: and if you really want to add in all those sets (not sure its a good idea) try supersets

I think it is a great start.

Let us know how it goes. You can always split it later, or develop a more compact fully body routine by eliminating some things.

The hardest thing is learning to stick with your workouts when you are just starting out. So focus on just getting your butt to the gym (or home gym) each time.

Keep a log of your weights/reps and take notes in your log too (ie: "work on form before adding weight," "this exercise is too hard/easy" etc).

P.S. seagull's are actually freaky strong for thier weight, just like all birds that can fly! Human powered flight can't be achived without a bunch of equipment, and then, it sucks major ass, it can barely keep aloft!!

Heh thanks guys for the tips. Didn't know that was way overboard! I suppose that is the reason why I (literally) couldn't get of bed the day after I did that the first time. I think I'll go with KOU In3's method basically, splitting them up.

As for cardio, here is my situation.

The place I train doesn't have bikes or anything like that, in fact the only cardio equipment would be a single jumprope. Now you might be saying "run outside"! The problem is that outside involves temperatures never above 20 degrees and snow everywhere, and I don't want to slip and break an arm or ankle or something. So given that I'm focused on using jumprope for cardio, I would have thought that a HIIT would yield the most fat loss? Is that a myth?

no HIIT will yield superior results than distance or long term endurance training.

BTW, ditch calf raises, they do nothing.

Mythius said:
how is your diet?

Well I'm no good w/ numbers so here's an example:

throughout the day (cafeteria food by the way so hard to get good diet):

4-5 28oz bottles of water
a few almonds occasionally as snack
one general multivitimin

breakfast:
-~4 eggs scrambled with a piece of toast, yogurt with a small handful of grapenuts mixed in
-2 glasses of water
-1 glass of milk 2%
-half a glass of Sobe No Fear. I know it is sugary but I hateeeeeeeee coffee and the caffeine is nice

midmorning:
-2 bowls of whole grain total cereal w/ 2%milk
-2 glasses water
-small helping of cottage cheese

lunch:
-2 turkey sandwiches (turkey, a tiny bit of mayo, mustard, lettuce, green peppers, a bit of olive oil and vinegar on wheat bread (there are no labels on the bread packages so hard to find something whole grain)
-cottage cheese
-water

midafternoon:
-spinach salad w/ tuna mixed in and other various veggies
-water
-small glass chocolate milk

dinner:
-try to go for hot chicken if they have it but often have to resort to a couple turkey sandwiches.

the diet looks pretty good, and it is frontloaded a bit towards breakfast, so that helps.

FCFighter316 said:
i found it funny how so many people offered their advice, really only takes one person on this one

i find it funny you still post here.

Back