howdy/no arm darce

elbigsam

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Anyone catching guys with this?
Any one tried forcing the top arm across with your legs as you apply the tech? Gives a similar pressure to a darce maybe.

I keep seeing it, especially as I pass halfguard.

pic/vid...? i have no conception of how you can darce without an arm in.. :icon_conf

i saw someone trying in practice recently, don't know if I've ever seen em catch it though

Here's a pretty good article on it

Head & Arm Triangle Choke | LOCKFLOW.COM

My instructor had us drill this one in no-gi class last friday. You can get it in the transition from mount to side control if you use your leg to push his arm across. You really have to pinch his triceps between your body and your own triceps to get the choke though, otherwise he will free his arm and the choke is gone.

You can also get it from north-south in the transition to side control. These head and arm chokes are best set-up in positional transitions when you can use your body to drag his arm across his neck.

id call that a modified guillotine but whatever since its from half guard u can call it a no arm darce, or u can call it a front naked choke, lol

id call that a modified guillotine but whatever since its from half guard u can call it a no arm darce, or u can call it a front naked choke, lol

No way man, it's not a guillotine at all. It's not even a d'arce really. It's a head-and-arm choke. You're choking the guy with his own arm. It's similar to an arm triangle but your choking arm goes over his shoulder instead of under his armpit, and your body is on the other side.

edit: sorry, the video above with the japanese guys is a totally different choke than the one I was talking about. THIS is the choke that I thought we were talking about:

6194.jpg

Last edited:
The first person I saw doing this was Baret Yoshida. I hardly ever go for it, but it can be a nice choke. I really like to finish it from knee-on-belly if I'm going to go through with it.

That's not a darce at all, the hand placement is completely different. If you had to call it something it would be a "no-arm arm triangle from the wrong side".

It's low percentage imho, but Jeff Glover shows a nice back take from there.

Martin kampman does this alot i believe from standing position , i see this as an guillotine.

It's good for going to mount or even to the back. You can also set up a normal brabo/D'Arce from there. Don't particularly care for the position as a submission in itself, though.

YES! We have learned that at my academy for the past 2 years. Very hard to catch, even in drilling, because you need everything juuuust right. Plus I'm a small guy and I don't have long or powerful arms. But a couple of weeks ago I pulled it off for the first time in rolling no gi. I was very happy with myself.

It's not a D'arce, and it's not a guillotine either. There's a Japanese name for it but I don't know how to spell it....mune gatame? It's also good for a transition into an armlock on the trapped arm. Fun stuff.

Oh and for the record I'm talking about the one that Redaxe posted, although from how I've been taught, that finishing position in the pic is a bit off (too flat).

Personally, I like to set this up from side control, and there are a couple of ways you can bait it that work quite nicely. But I never really get the tap off it. It just feels too cranky, and I don't want to hurt my partners, so I use it to mount, and that's enough for me. @_@

There is a specific angle that works, but I still don't really know how to find it all the time yet. So...not for finishing for me, at the moment. ^_^

Take care,

Oli

I feel the same about the neck crank portion of the move oli, I'm playing with using my legs to force the arm across more to get the choke.

I'm not too hung up on the names of moves, I called it a no arm darce because of the identical arm positioning, this so people could have an idea what I am talking about. Arm triangle with the top arm trapped could be more accurate I suppose.

I've tried using this a few times, it's very low percentage. The only time I've used it successfully is against complete noobs to the sport. Its a good for transitional use though.

Back