howdy/no arm darce

The no arm d'arce is also shown by Brandon Quick in the fade to black videos, he calls it the "coma choke" I think. I have tried this a few times rolling and have been unsuccessful actually "choking" my opponent with it; I always end up with a neck crank and have to let up. I'm sure there is a correct choking angle, but I have yet to find it. Also to keep in mind it is a great way to keep your opponent at bay when in a bad spot such as side control. I have used this a couple of times to stop my opponents advance from sc and to actually escape b/c it is an uncomfortable position. It seems like you would be easily armbarred by sticking your arms up while in sc, but your inside arm is coming across your chest and under opponents neck. your other arm is beside his head, so he will have to step to the other side to start to work a traditional armlock.

I don't know why you guy's have a hard time finishing this one. Normally if people like, "oh yah, that's a hard sub" on here, I tend to agree. The typical setup is that you get him in a tight side control and he might get desperate and some point and reach across himself, or be careless with his arms while rolling to turtle.

Now, getting him to make this error is hard. Finishing? Cake. More often I don't really attempt to finish from here even if i know i got the guy because although it works, it is awkward on his neck/shoulder. It's a matter of smearing, pressure with your body, your arms have almost nothing to do with it.

I guess the trouble for me stems from trying to find the sweet spot for it to choke the guy, I'm sure I could finish it as a crank, but the choking bit has been tricky so far for me.

6194.jpg

Yeah that's different. Erik Paulson has used it for years. Ideally their own arm is under their chin and you drive into it. What this does is force their jaw shut. Your own shoulder covers their mouth, so they only breathe out of their nose. So you pinch their nose to finish.

I don't think it's legal in many if any sub comps or MMA, because I don't think you can pinch the nose in any.

It's pretty easy to turn into a crank, especially if you jump over the other side and sitout like you would in kesagatame / scarf hold.

Yeah that's different. Erik Paulson has used it for years. Ideally their own arm is under their chin and you drive into it. What this does is force their jaw shut. Your own shoulder covers their mouth, so they only breathe out of their nose. So you pinch their nose to finish.

I don't think it's legal in many if any sub comps or MMA, because I don't think you can pinch the nose in any.

It's pretty easy to turn into a crank, especially if you jump over the other side and sitout like you would in kesagatame / scarf hold.

lol, that's hilarious :) but no, this is a head-and-arm blood choke with a little crank to it, similar to an arm triangle. It can definitely put you to sleep.

I like that you said "side sleeper" because I learned the choke from my no-gi instructor Cindy "Sleeper" Hales.

I don't know why you guy's have a hard time finishing this one. Normally if people like, "oh yah, that's a hard sub" on here, I tend to agree. The typical setup is that you get him in a tight side control and he might get desperate and some point and reach across himself, or be careless with his arms while rolling to turtle.

Now, getting him to make this error is hard. Finishing? Cake. More often I don't really attempt to finish from here even if i know i got the guy because although it works, it is awkward on his neck/shoulder. It's a matter of smearing, pressure with your body, your arms have almost nothing to do with it.

ditto. i got it from a Paulsen video, and started seeing the opportunity for the choke all the time. here is the clip i picked it up from, it's a nice little series:

ditto. i got it from a Paulsen video, and started seeing the opportunity for the choke all the time. here is the clip i picked it up from, it's a nice little series:

WOW, so you actually pinch the nose. Crazy stuff.

I actually hit this one time in a competition when I was trying for just a regular arm triangle and the guy slid his arm out while i was transitioning to it. I figured what the hell and just put shoulder pressure into it to see if I would get the tap and I did. Worse case scenario the have to keep turning into you and then they give up the back and you practically have the RNC already.

WOW, so you actually pinch the nose. Crazy stuff.

lol, i only pinch if i'm f'ing around, if they start to hip out and try to escape, the nose pinch is pretty effective way to shut that down. :icon_chee

I call it an "armless head and arm choke." That, and the "headless triangle" are my favs.

earlier i mentioned that i get this accidentally. that's not entirely accurate. it's mostly a submission of opportunity.

i find it comes up when the bottom guy is a bit tired and gets careless when i'm surfing counter to their escape attempts. often the arm ends up flat against them as i switch sides. it then becomes a matter of me recognizing it in time and keeping it in place to apply the right pressure. notice in the pic - the bottom foot is doing most of the work driving the bicep into the neck. if i do it right it's all choke, not crank, though it's often an air choke and not a blood choke. that's mostly my fault as my crossface is total ass.

I've also heard Erik Paulson say "Cover his eyes, on the off chance he's afraid of the dark".

:)

Back