Howcome Americans like NFL but not rugby?

So you are moving the goal posts? Now only a couple of people need to be intelligent at the highest level of football imaginable and others can walk in and be a functional part of the team within a short period of time after their first exposure to the sport?

And so you know, other sports have coaches and coordinators too. NFL has not invented old guys strategizing on how young guys play with balls. Also specialization per definition requires less intelligence from the individual. The specialization in rugby is far less prominent and every single player on the field requires the same, yet developed to different extend, skillset and understanding of the game. There are typically fewer set plays in rugby, because broken play is too unpredictable that you need to rely on situational intelligence of every individual in the field. Those set plays can develop into an endless amounts of variations on the fly. There is also a call like "simple" or "hands" where every single back is required to create an opening for the player next to him before passing or just looking for a gap while others react to the carriers actions. If you think rugby is a pile up of people and all random then you really don't understand strategy.
He only touched the ball 23 times in 16 games which is about once a game. And he fumbled 3 times. Terrible.
So how hard was it for him to learn a few plays?
He was barely on the field.

Exactly. You said it yourself, "When it's required". Would you say the 100% effort is required for all 90 minutes of soccer? Ever second of a Rugby game, every player is going all out, all of the time? I'm not knocking any other sport, but if you walk/jog/lull around in football, you will get hurt. Every second the ball is in play, it's to the max or else.

Then there's the effort that's involved. Think of the job of an offensive lineman: Stop a 275-300+ lbs, aggressive, super athlete that's more agile and quick than most think from getting around me...75 times (O-lineman generally only get subbed if injured).

D-line: Either be fast enough to get around, or strong enough to drive through a 6'2 - 6'8", 300+lbs deceptively nimble, incredibly strong, mountain of a human...50+ times.

WR: 40 - 50 all-out sprints between 10-50+ yards...while having to get past a guy that is usually faster and quicker than you, and other 230+lbs players are trying to crush you if you get the ball.

...on and on.

Football is just an extreme, war simulation, combat sport that happens to involve a ball. If another sport requires such intense, repeated effort, I'm opened to being enlightened.

...and again, this isn't a "football is better, other sports suck" kind of post.
Ehhhh what? Yes, players go all out when it is required, who is speaking about 90 or 80 minutes? Football players go all out if it is required, during plays, for about 3-5 minutes in total within a 3 hour game. While in other sports you would go out for at least a similar or longer amount of time, in a shorter time frame, yet stay active and alert when they do not go full out. While football players have extended breaks recovering.

No, football is not an extreme, war simulation, why would you even think that? What parallels do you see with war there? You are just regurgitating empty promotional slogans.

As someone who has played both football and rugby they are both very tiring, but its different types of cardio. With football you go 100% on every play. With rugby you're generally going like 75% the entire time.

Get the F outa here! So you are telling me you have played rugby and gave a 75% the entire time? I pity your team mates, I would have kicked you out for doing shite like that.

Get the F outa here! So you are telling me you have played rugby and gave a 75% the entire time? I pity your team mates, I would have kicked you out for doing shite like that.

I'm saying most of the game you aren't going 100% the entire game like you MUST in football.

He only touched the ball 23 times in 16 games which is about once a game. And he fumbled 3 times. Terrible.
So how hard was it for him to learn a few plays?
He was barely on the field.
So you say running backs do not need to be intelligent and it is enough to just learn a few plays to appear at the highest possible stage of your sport without having any prior experience?

So you say running backs do not need to be intelligent and it is enough to just learn a few plays to appear at the highest possible stage of your sport without having any prior experience?
I think they do and he proved it.
He didn't do good enough to stay in the league

I'm saying most of the game you aren't going 100% the entire game like you MUST in football.
No, this is clearly not what you said.
And, you must give 100% over the course of 3 hours? 3 hours is the entire game. What you mean is you need to give 100% whenever you are on the field which is 3-5 minutes tops. You would go for longer length of maximum effort in other sports.

No, this is clearly not what you said.
And, you must give 100% over the course of 3 hours? 3 hours is the entire game. What you mean is you need to give 100% whenever you are on the field which is 3-5 minutes tops. You would go for longer length of maximum effort in other sports.
He's saying each play they give 100%.
Obviously no one goes 100% in any sport all the time.
But what he is referring to is that there is not a part, as in soccer and other sports where you can kinda just hang around and not do anything.
Every play requires something with the exception of a few plays such as if your are running the ball to the right, the WR on the far left will probably just half ass block his guy since the play should be over in a few seconds. And doing that could backfire. Lets say the RB runs into his lineman and takes off left, now due to the WR on the left going half ass,now the CB is in the backfield and has an open shot at the RB.

He's saying each play they give 100%.
Obviously no one goes 100% in any sport all the time.
But what he is referring to is that there is not a part, as in soccer and other sports where you can kinda just hang around and not do anything.
Every play requires something with the exception of a few plays such as if your are running the ball to the right, the WR on the far left will probably just half ass block his guy since the play should be over in a few seconds. And doing that could backfire. Lets say the RB runs into his lineman and takes off left, now due to the WR on the left going half ass,now the CB is in the backfield and has an open shot at the RB.
What exactly does the offense do when the defense is on the field?

I know exactly what you are trying to say, it is only that what you are actually trying to say is utterly pointless. You don't hang around in rugby or soccer doing nothing, you must stay alert, read the space and your sided and opposition's movement, you communicate with your team mates, you adjust your positioning, you know - the intelligent stuff. You don't move at 100% pace all the time, you give 100% if required for as long as required. The occasions to give 100% in other sports is longer than in football.

So what is your point? That you literally not doing anything between plays is somehow on a higher level of 'whateverthing' than actually playing the game?

PS: do quarterbacks give 100% all the time? 100% of what?

What exactly does the offense do when the defense is on the field?

I know exactly what you are trying to say, it is only that what you are actually trying to say is utterly pointless. You don't hang around in rugby or soccer doing nothing, you must stay alert, read the space and your sided and opposition's movement, you communicate with your team mates, you adjust your positioning, you know - the intelligent stuff. You don't move at 100% pace all the time, you give 100% if required for as long as required. The occasions to give 100% in other sports is longer than in football.

So what is your point? That you literally not doing anything between plays is somehow on a higher level of 'whateverthing' than actually playing the game?

PS: do quarterbacks give 100% all the time? 100% of what?
QBs probably give more than any other player in all of sports with the exception of a Boxer, and I guess you could argue an offensive linemen.
Basketball players go pretty much nonstop but there is standing around in that sport as well, more so now then ever.
Shit in the 1980s if you were facing Magic Johnson Lakers, then yea you basically had to run non stop.
The difference is the physical toll football takes.
Getting hit by a MLB takes a hell of alot of energy out of you. If your RB carrying the ball 30 times a game, your gonna get beat up and is the exact reason they dont play too many years in the NFL, because there bodies are so shot after about 3-5 years.

It would take Peyton Manning 15 minutes to fully get all of his pads off, he was so beat up. I believe they would have someone take his shoes off for him since he was so damaged in his final year. It was his will to win one more championship that basically got him thru it. He also was hurt some games as well but you get the point.

Yeah, baseball is the most boring sport in the world. Fucking sucks. Even sucks to play. But people still watch it. I guess sports are just cultural.
Every pitch is a battle, physical and mental.. there are a lot of subtle aspects to baseball

it's going to sound crazy, but baseball is actually not boring to play. it's a lot of fun. it's one of those sports that you really have to play, or have a vested-interest in the outcome of a game, in order to enjoy it.
also, most people can’t appreciate what it is to stand in front of an unpredictable 90 mph rock and try to hit it

Oh yea. There is alot more going on with pitching than most people know.

Well I still get the technique in pitching in terms of knuckle balls, hitting the perfect spot and right speed etc. In that it's a lot like cricket. But I still find both boring as fuck to watch despite being extremely difficult to play.

I went to a yankees game a few years back, holy hell was it dull.

Do people still watch the nfl? I heard numbers were way down?

Ehhhh what? Yes, players go all out when it is required, who is speaking about 90 or 80 minutes? Football players go all out if it is required, during plays, for about 3-5 minutes in total within a 3 hour game. While in other sports you would go out for at least a similar or longer amount of time, in a shorter time frame, yet stay active and alert when they do not go full out. While football players have extended breaks recovering.

No, football is not an extreme, war simulation, why would you even think that? What parallels do you see with war there? You are just regurgitating empty promotional slogans.

I don't know why, but the idea of american football as an "extreme, war simulation" just popped into my head again out of the blue while I was watching something else. Like where did this bullshit come from because I've heard this shite before lmao {<jordan}

Last edited:
QBs probably give more than any other player in all of sports with the exception of a Boxer, and I guess you could argue an offensive linemen.
Basketball players go pretty much nonstop but there is standing around in that sport as well, more so now then ever.
Shit in the 1980s if you were facing Magic Johnson Lakers, then yea you basically had to run non stop.
The difference is the physical toll football takes.
Getting hit by a MLB takes a hell of alot of energy out of you. If your RB carrying the ball 30 times a game, your gonna get beat up and is the exact reason they dont play too many years in the NFL, because there bodies are so shot after about 3-5 years.

It would take Peyton Manning 15 minutes to fully get all of his pads off, he was so beat up. I believe they would have someone take his shoes off for him since he was so damaged in his final year. It was his will to win one more championship that basically got him thru it. He also was hurt some games as well but you get the point.

I fail to see how an offensive lineman or QB gives more than rugby forwards....

Whens the last time you saw a rugby match played on tv in the U.S.?

Theres your answer. No exposure.

Back