Howcome Americans like NFL but not rugby?

I love the game, but the club side of the sport is very fragmented. NRL is the only league I could get into. The union club leagues bore the shit out of me. Even the NRL has a pretty horrible crowd atmosphere.

International Union is great though.

Slandering the #Pro14MasterRace?

Because rugby does not have so many pauses. So fat people cant go and pick a hotdog and a soda or beer every 5 minutes.

Same reason people go and see baseball live. Nobody gives a fuck about the baseball (p4p most boring and shittiest sport ever).. is all about the junk food.

Why do American footballers have to wear all that protection?

Just because I enjoy bumping this thread from time to time and educating you lot ;) Ignorance is no excuse :)

edit: @PUO3 only teasing here, but if you wanna see an in-depth look at one recent example of the sort of plays coaches call in rugby have a gander. You can see how the out-half (Sexton) organises and runs the move.

Joe Schmidt is like a rugby equivalent of Bill Bellicheck, the head coach of Ireland and a tactical mastermind.

https://www.the42.ie/analysis-schmidt-stockdale-scotland-4486169-Feb2019/

“A perfect example of one of Joe’s set-piece moves,” is how Ireland centre Chris Farrell termed Jacob Stockdale’s try in Edinburgh.

original

Murray’s movement sets O’Brien in motion, breaking out beyond the 15-metre line [red above] to accept a pass from Murray.

As Murray hits O’Brien with that pass [white below], we get a sense of how Ireland are set up off the lineout.

original

Number eight Jack Conan runs a hard line short off O’Brien [yellow], as out-half Johnny Sexton [red] bounces out behind Conan.

Conan is looking to interest Scottish defenders as O’Brien screens an accurate pass behind the number eight to Sexton.

Once the ball is in Sexton’s hands, there is clever movement from the Irish midfield.

Sexton [red below] looks to straighten up, as Bundee Aki arcs towards the right touchline [yellow], looking to drag defenders in that direction.

The powerful Chris Farrell [blue] is simultaneously accelerating into the space Aki is vacating to make a short carry off Sexton.

original

Scotland commit into a double tackle on the fast-moving Farrell, with Stuart McInally and Josh Strauss engaging him – two defenders off their feet already.

There is an immediate danger here to Ireland’s ball as Simon Berghan [white below] gets into a decent position to jackal over the ball, looking for the turnover.

original

We can see that O’Brien, Tadhg Furlong [coming from the back of the lineout] and Conan are arriving in, however, and they manage to rescue the breakdown for Ireland – O’Brien and Furlong shifting Berghan as Conan cleans tackler Strauss off the ball.

“I carried on the first phase and we tried to get quick ball, but it was actually slowed down more than I would have liked,” says Ireland centre Farrell. “But the move still somehow worked.”

Indeed it did, as Ireland struck accurately on second phase.

We know that Murray moves the ball to the right here, but as he gets set to do so, it’s crucial to note what is going on to the left of Ireland’s ruck.

original

Rory Best, having thrown into the lineout, is lined up to the left of the ruck with Ryan to his inside [circled in yellow above].

Best’s body language makes it look as if he is about to receive the ball from Murray and this is a crucial part of the set-play design from Ireland.

Note in the top left of the shot above how Scotland’s Ryan Wilson [circled in red] is pointing back to the left – he has seen this picture before, very recently.

The ref mic picks him up shouting, “Stay!” Wilson is telling Scotland loosehead Allan Dell to stay on that side of the ruck as Scotland fear an attack back to the left.

This fear is something Schmidt intelligently plays on with this particular attack.

“For Johnny to come back and strike that
side of the ruck, we thought might be an opportunity,” explains Schmidt.

“You can never say for certain that they’re going to be opportunities. Mostly, we would strike on the other side [the left] of the ruck, certainly in some of the plays that we play and they’ve played since.”

Not only is Schmidt intimating that Scotland have stolen a couple of his plays, he is underlining that Ireland’s penchant for using bounce-back attacks at the side of the ruck is a key factor in the design of this particular play.

As we’ve discussed before, Ireland use the above play – Schmidt’s Leinster doing it in 2012 – particularly effectively, hitting up from a lineout and then bouncing back against the grain to a forward positioned close to the ruck, running a dummy loop around him.

Best, in the example at hand against Scotland, is ideally positioned to be that forward and Wilson’s reaction indicates that he recognises the Ireland hooker as such.

Last weekend, we saw Ireland run a bounce-back play against England, with Conor Murray taking the loop pass from Furlong and very nearly breaking through.

Scotland would have watched this intently, as well as being intimately familiar with Schmidt’s other bounce-back attacks.

Even in yesterday’s game, Ireland’s very first attack – eight minutes before Stockdale’s score – involved a bounce-back play after two carries infield from a left-hand-side scrum.

We can see the Scots react well here after O’Mahony has carried around the corner, as Wilson [red below] and Greig Laidlaw [yellow] indicate the bounce-back, with Dell [white] staying on the left side of Ireland’s ruck.

original

Though Sexton slips after taking a pass from Conan in this instance, Schmidt has teed the Scots up for what is to come later. The trap has been laid.

As he might describe it himself, Schmidt knew that they knew and he played on the fact that they knew.

Back to the Stockdale try, where we will see how Dell again initially staying on the right affects things on the other side of the ruck soon, while the threat on the left side of the ruck was possibly also key in allowing Stockdale to finish, as we’ll get to later.

The real target of Murray’s second pass is O’Mahony [white below], who is coming around the corner after winning the lineout.

original

In this split second, O’Mahony is clapping his hands and loudly shouting, “Mur, me!”

The intention is to ensure Scotland identify O’Mahony as the ball-carrier early, attracting their attention to the Ireland back row and giving them a target.

In Ireland’s opening attacks of this game, we saw how Scotland flooded two tacklers into each collision with the Irish ball-carriers and Schmidt’s play design uses that expected aggressive intent against the Scots.

“We felt that if we got the ball into Pete’s hands, that they [Scotland] would feel we would just carry around the corner,” explains Schmidt.

Scotland are certainly attracted to O’Mahony as the probable ball-carrier but there is plenty going on around the Ireland blindside.

“There’s massive detail on the second phase,” says Farrell.

original

As O’Mahony is about to accept Murray’s pass, Aki is accelerating into a hard line to O’Mahony’s right [indicated in yellow above], further drawing the eyes of Scottish defenders there.

Keith Earls [14] and Rob Kearney [15] are holding the width, while Quinn Roux [red] is working around the corner as if to carry on the phase after O’Mahony carries.

Over on the left of the ruck, we can see that Healy [1] has held there to further interest Scotland on that side, while Stockdale [11] is tucked in behind the ruck.

But the key mover here is Sexton [blue below].

original

In this frame, it looks like Sexton could accept a pass out the back of Aki, moving the ball wide to the right.

But, as we know, Sexton instead makes a late change of direction to take a switch pass back under O’Mahony.

Just before the phase begins, we can see that Stockdale, tucked in behind the ruck [yellow below], is doing his utmost not to attract any attention at all – virtually standing still with his hands down by his sides.

original

As O’Mahony gets on the ball, we begin to get a sense of how Scotland’s defence is being manipulated.

O’Mahony runs diagonally to his right, attracting fringe defender Jamie Ritchie with him [red below] and opening up space on the right edge of the ruck.

original

Sexton [blue] is cutting back to the inside and O’Mahony is leaving up a deft switch pass for him to accept, as Stockdale [yellow] gets into motion.

Scotland’s Dell [white] is working around to cover into the space being vacated by Ritchie, although his journey has been made longer by some subtle work by Furlong.

If we rewind slightly to before Murray has passed, we can see Furlong [white below] stepping forward after being involved in the clearout on Berghan.

original

By lengthening the ruck in this manner, Furlong is also ensuring Dell has to go backwards and around the ruck as he folds over to the other side.

A small detail, but it gives Dell a second less decision-making time over on the other side of the ruck.

Furlong’s positioning is also going to help Stockdale break through the gap when he gets onto the ball.

Just before that break, Dell arrives around the corner late and sees Sexton coming at him – a chance to hammer Ireland’s key man – and doesn’t quite catch Stockdale in the corner of his eye.

original

Dell plants and fully commits into the tackle on Sexton [white above], with the Ireland out-half bravely taking the ball right up to the tackle before passing to the accelerating Stockdale [yellow], who has just managed to avoid bumping into referee Romain Poite.

“You know, the guy [Dell] maybe could have got to Jacob if he wasn’t that intent on getting at Johnny, so sometimes that works to our advantage,” says Schmidt, indicating that Scotland’s intent to hurt Sexton worked against them.

“They over-read on Johnny and he played Jacob coming through the middle,” says Farrell.

The shot above also shows us that Best [red] has worked up ahead of the ball, expecting the linebreak.

Stockdale receives the pass from Sexton and just manages to evade two despairing tackle attempts. The Ireland wing deserves credit for his acceleration and balance, but his cause is aided by the work of others....

etc.​

Right, I'm going to have to 're read that a few times to get it straight in my head....

I'll make my prop forward son read it too as he's very up on tactics . Might need to throw food at him as he reads through it though..

Thanks for taking the time for typing that reply. Should have put that in originally.

Last edited:
Right, I'm going to have to 're read that a few times to get it straight in my head....

I'll make my prop forward son read it too as he's very up on tactics . Might need to throw food at him as he reads through it though..

Look up Murray Kinsella he always does these in-depth articles for the42.ie

How old is your son? I played prop for a while in high school for a while, I did not enjoy it though lol. Quit for a year and when I came back I just told the new coach I played centre lol, then I played centre of occasionally wing (I was surprisingly fast). More of Matheiu Basteraud though haha.

Why do American footballers have to wear all that protection?

Because they can tackle in the air and the nature of the game means that players get blindside hit frequently when they can't protect themselves, e.g. trying to make a catch.

Because they can tackle in the air and the nature of the game means that players get blindside hit frequently when they can't protect themselves, e.g. trying to make a catch.

So pussies then?

Back