Opinion How would the immigration process work if you were tasked with a redesign?

There is no need to redesign anything. Simply enforce the laws as they are on the books. The problem is not the laws, but the lack of political will to enforce them due to unchecked illegal immigration, which has now changed the American culture so drastically that it no longer has sufficient unity to support its own existence. It won't be too long before the U.S. balkanizes.

If you ask a Republican....

I'm sure Nancy Pelosi would parrot the same answer as the narrow minded Republican you have in mind.

What are the views, and would you feel comfortable expressing them in front of activists?

Based purely on economic needs with allotted visas issued based on specific sector needs that cant be met by domestic supply. Or, high status applicants with financial, and education means. No immigration based on altruism

$50,000 fine for employing an illegal worker if you made insufficient attempts to confirm proper working status. 2 illegals 2x the fine, 3 3x etc.

10% finders fee to whomever notifies authorities, still payable if an illegal.

It would work the exact way it works now but I'd actually enforce the law. All illegals would be deported and we'd go from there. A properly secured border wall would be built and local militias would patrol areas known for illegal traffic.

Those militias would be ripe for corruption.

$50,000 fine for employing an illegal worker if you made insufficient attempts to confirm proper working status. 2 illegals 2x the fine, 3 3x etc.

10% finders fee to whomever notifies authorities, still payable if an illegal.
Nice, the war on drugs strategy! What could go wrong

Obviously I am talking about a well regulated militia.

Isn't there already about 50 million of them?

I think America plays pretty fast and loose with the well regulated bit.

It would work the exact way it works now but I'd actually enforce the law. All illegals would be deported and we'd go from there. A properly secured border wall would be built and local militias would patrol areas known for illegal traffic.
Sweet...
How's life in Syria bud ?

I think the immigration process mostly works fine.

There's a thing in business called shrinkage. In short, it's the amount of loss that a business expects from theft or waste that they just can't prevent. They don't want any loss from theft but they accept that it's going to happen.

As I write this post, I'm not aware of the exact number of people who enter the country illegally or enter legally and then overstay their visas. If the number isn't that high, you just write it off as shrinkage. If it's too high then you put more money in deportation efforts.

Nothing against the border but that's a point of diminishing returns. No matter what you do, once you have a system, highly motivated parties will find a way to circumvent your system. You want to do enough to dissuade simple rule breakers.

However, you're always going to be playing catch up with the highly sophisticated rule breakers. Chasing them means spending money to close off strategies after they've already been exploited. The first time someone finds their way around your border system, you won't know. You won't know until the exploit becomes significant...at which point, all of the illegals have already entered the nation. So, enforce the border but you have to accept some shrinkage.
People getting killed/raped/robbed by illegal immigrants = it's part of the "business" let's not change anything

People getting killed/raped/robbed by illegal immigrants = it's part of the "business" let's not change anything
All types of people kill rape and murder, it is a human problem. Illegal immigrants don't kill rape and murder at a higher rate than leagal immigrants so I'm not sure I'd agree with this sentiment.
I'd feel safer sending my kid to play with illegal immigrant kids than sending them to catholic church camps.
Each their own...

I'm a liberal. I want open borders, haven't you heard? Silly question!
I'm a liberal but would like to see not just first, but also second generation immigrants kicked out for serious crimes or repeat offences.

Only quota refugees. A country prepares housing, education and location and then safely provide the transport of the refugees from UNCHR’s camps.

This would make the integration process smoother, the costs can be estimated, it would create a safe haven for elderly and women, not only able-bodies males that can afford to bribe smugglers.

Back