Hmmmm, Pre-USDA, I believe Wandy could've:
1) beaten Tito in a rematch for the UFC 205 strap
2) had a 50/50 chance versus Liddell
3) been rag dolled by Couture
4) continued his beating of Rampage from PRIDE to UFC
5) blasted both Forrest Griffin and Rashad Evans
6) been KO'd by Machida and Shogun
7) been absolutely humiliated by Bones Jones

For this to be a fair question, we have to assume Wand under USADA or that every current UFC MW and LHW can enjoy unrestriced roiding like guys did in Pride. (Roid-raging Jiri would be something.) Remember, Wand refused a drug test before leaving the UFC. Here's an early Wand fight when it was roider vs. roider.

That was cool & surprising to see back then. Wand even started punching like that & moving forward the same after that loss. He needs to thank Victor Gracie for the lesson :)

Reactions: mkt
He would do absolutely terribly with his style/skills from back then, however if he had his natural abilities and came up in this time of modern training, who knows what style he would develop and how he would do.

PRIME Wand right up until the emergence of Shogun would absolutely annihilate everyone. Eat the punches, deliver his own hellish hooks, veins bulging out the side of his temples and all. the WAND that appeared after his OWGP run was the one on the down hill. I think moving up to HW and gaining that weight was something that he never fully recuperated from.

idk man, jiri poatan and jan are all pretty tough opponents
They are but a juiced up Wanderlei was a sight to see. Now of course if we leveled the playing field and let Jiri and Jan stick needles in their butts…

Wanderlei is too small. He is under 6 feet tall. There aren’t many LHWs that short. He is even considered short for MW nowadays. He also needed Japanese ref help against fighters that can ground him.

Wanderlei is the product of his time. He was very exciting to watch but he’s not technically sound. You don’t really see that style of fighting in high level MMA anymore.

but we all know that is not the case and everyones on it
Yeah, everyone over there and over here at that period in time was on it. Wish it was still like that, makes for better fights imo.

Thank you.
He was a shell in the UFC.
Looked so scared against old Chuck.
Yeah, super exciting fighter while in Pride, however his tdd was never worth a damn even while in Pride. I can't see him doing well at all these days in the UFC.

DDP and Pereira probably beat him. He gives everyone else fits in the feet and with new age trainer like Wittman, he is basically a LHW version of Gaethje with better BJJ.

i'm biased because he's my favorite fighter of all-time, but on aggression alone he would win many fights. if he was given the training that is available today, and fought in today's time, he'd be champion. i have no doubts about that.

Wand has plenty of money to beat usada, he'd be fine.
this, it's literally just a money issue, hiring the right scientists who know the industry tests, and how to beat them. the sport is still not clean. the higher level guys have the "strength and conditioning" coaches that know how to side step these tests. the lower level guys get busted for SARMS like ostarine / mk677, etc. it's an easy test. you either have the money or you dont.

Yeah, super exciting fighter while in Pride, however his tdd was never worth a damn even while in Pride. I can't see him doing well at all these days in the UFC.
He was a drugged out freak.
Non enhanced he should have been MW.

My stab at the champ and top 3.

SEAN STRICKLAND
Win. I think this would actually be a bad match up for Sean. His chin is not iron and I see him getting caught in a blitz and not being able to get Silva to respect his power and stay off him.
1 Israel Adesanya
Loss. I just think there's a skill gap. May get KOd coming in, or if not, after gassing out.
2 Dricus Du Plessis
Brawl with wand having a 70% chance of winning. (I think he wins 7/10 times.)
3 Robert Whittaker
50/50. I can see Rob getting caught or succeeding with a wrestle heavy game plan.

I don't think a prime roided out wand would make mw tbh.

Prime Wand and Belfort could still be champion and wreck most of the top 10. Of the current era I only think Adesanya and prime Whittaker beat them.

Back