How well would a guy like Rasheed Wallace have done in MMA

Only Fedor would have been better

I would have like to have seen how Xavier McDaniel. Loved to throw fists and elbows and had longer reach than even Bones!

Would need a one week grappling/striking course and he'd run through Verdoom and Fedor.

I would have like to have seen how Xavier McDaniel. Loved to throw fists and elbows and had longer reach than even Bones!

Those old Knicks teams had all the best NBA MMA fighters: Xavier, Anthony Mason, Charles Oakley.

You mean like Todd Duffee's UFC HW main event level punching technique? Any rational person knows life long elite trained athletes could never learn such high level UFC main event techniques. Or Matt Mitrione's top-10ish HW ground game. If elite trained athletes could learn such high level UFCing surely they'd sign up for the 10k and 2,500 in sweet Reebok money to risk brain damage for a fighter bashing bald wannabe tough guy. Amirite?

Yes the punches I saw in the Duffee vs Mir fight were way better than any fight I've seen on the various YouTube videos of basketball so called fights. Just because they are elite trained athletes at basketball doesn't mean they can fight when clearly from all the videos I've watched they can't. I have seen and been in fights with guys that aren't athletes who actually throw technical punches. Look at Kobe in the video above, looks to me like someone that clearly just can't fight yet he is an elite athlete.

He actually reminds me of Tim Sylvia.

he's a slam dunk for fight of the night.

He'd probably get destroyed.

Being a world class athlete does not guarantee success as a fighter by any stretch of the imagination.

I love basketball, and there are some fantastic athletes in the NBA, but most NBA players aren't exactly the the toughest guys around. Have you ever seen them fight? They usually fight like girls. There are a few exceptions but most are prima donnas that couldn't handle getting punched in the face.

You'd have to get inside and take him down. Don't wanna trade with a dude with that kind of reach.

Those old Knicks teams had all the best NBA MMA fighters: Xavier, Anthony Mason, Charles Oakley.

you know you're getting old when the teams you grew up watching are now being described as the "old teams". :)

Has anyone here ever seen a fight in the NBA where someone actually threw a decent punch?

kermit Washington hit Rudy Tomjanovich with 1 punch. It was more devastating than any punch I've ever seen in any fight sport.

"Tomjanovich, who crumpled to the floor, almost died that night of injuries that were akin to being thrown from a car going 50 miles per hour. His skull was dislocated and spinal fluid was leaking from his brain. He recalled being able to taste the fluid in his mouth."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=125540

He'd probably get destroyed.

Being a world class athlete does not guarantee success as a fighter by any stretch of the imagination.

I love basketball, and there are some fantastic athletes in the NBA, but most NBA players aren't exactly the the toughest guys around. Have you ever seen them fight? They usually fight like girls. There are a few exceptions but most are prima donnas that couldn't handle getting punched in the face.

This.

Speed and power do not equate to mental toughness, or a jaw. I'm sure people will say it takes mental toughness to make it in the NBA, and that's true, but its different than a fight. Overcoming the fear that normally comes with someone hurting you is not a part of an NBA players game.

kermit Washington hit Rudy Tomjanovich with 1 punch. It was more devastating than any punch I've ever seen in any fight sport.

"Tomjanovich, who crumpled to the floor, almost died that night of injuries that were akin to being thrown from a car going 50 miles per hour. His skull was dislocated and spinal fluid was leaking from his brain. He recalled being able to taste the fluid in his mouth."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=125540

Ya. Being a Laker fan I've heard of that. Of course, that was 40 years ago when basketball was a more physical game. There was a time where if you slam dunked the ball you'd of been thrown to the ground. It's a much more finesse game today with much more finesse players in general. I think a few guys would translate to MMA well but most wouldn't. I think there are a lot of great athletes who just couldn't handle getting punched in the face over and over and the physicality of combat sports. I mean, Dwayne Wade is a fantastic athlete but just hitting the ground seems to hurt him. Imagine him being in some hard takedowns.

Back