How we ruined grappling Sports

-guerilla-

Founder of the Louisville fight club est..1993
Banned
Reaction score
I've been involved with grappling Sports since I was a child and it's endlessly frustrating that governing bodies keep fiddling with the rules.

Judo banning leg holding is a great example of the pure cluster that grappling sports are. The difference between folkstyle and Freestyle Wrestling in particular the hand clasping rule in folkstyle is tragic for our athletes and who can forget the history changing cluster that led to the destruction of Alexander Karelins near perfect record.

Will these governing bodies ever learn to leave the sports alone and quit fiddling with the rules or will they continue to toil in obscurity because no one but dedicated practitioners can keep up with the constant fiddling with the rules?

Last edited:
Not sure what this has to do with UFC.

What "ruined" grappling sports was when trailer trash discovered the UFC around the late 90s and all these strip-mall jiu jitsu schools started popping up all over the place.

UFC ruined combat sports too huh. Should still be like this... Ahh the good old days
gg.jpg

I've been involved with grappling Sports since I was a child and it's endlessly frustrating that governing bodies keep fiddling with the rules.

Judo banning leg holding is a great example of the pure cluster that grappling sports are. The difference between folkstyle and Freestyle Wrestling in particular the hand clasping rule in folkstyle is tragic for our athletes and who can forget the history changing cluster that led to the destruction of Alexander Karelins near perfect record.

Will these governing bodies ever learn to leave the sports alone and quit fiddling with the rules or will they continue to toil in obscurity because no one but dedicated practitioners can keep up with the constant fiddling with of the rules?

BJJ really needs to reform itself though. It's fading into obscurity as a martial art and becoming a TMA. Know what never changes? TMAs. And they suck. Real martial arts do need to change from time to time.

leg locks are bad for tournaments. you can't have a third place match up when the loser of the last match doesn't have a functioning knee.
judo just did what was best for the sport.

any dojo can teach leg locks as much or as little as they want. i'm personally of the mind set they should only be taught to brown or above

What "ruined" grappling sports was when trailer trash discovered the UFC around the late 90s and all these strip-mall jiu jitsu schools started popping up all over the place.
Don't do JJ personally but find it hard to believe a proliferation of schools or an expanding MMA base has anything to do with your salty attitude. Another one of those "I saw it first so I'm a better fan" stories.

we need to start deducting points in MMA for boring offensive grapplers.

Don't you think it would be a better idea for us to do Freestyle Wrestling in the usa rather than invent our own style of wrestling with our own set of rules that handicaps our athletes in their transition to the Olympics MMA or any other grappling Style?

I coached wrestling at the high school level for about 15 years and I just returned to coaching this season and I forgot how stupid the hand clasping rule was. The hand clasping rule makes it more difficult for a folkstyle wrestler to transition to Olympic wrestling and MMA

one has to wonder just how great our wrestlers would have been on the international stage if we had enough sense to join the rest of the world rather than invent our own sports

I can remember when Alexander karelin lost to rulon Gardner in that complete debacle of rule change switch-a-roo garbage

Last edited:
Don't do JJ personally but find it hard to believe a proliferation of schools or an expanding MMA base has anything to do with your salty attitude. Another one of those "I saw it first so I'm a better fan" stories.

When "everyone's doing it" it becomes useless. Kind of like taekwondo.

leg locks are bad for tournaments. you can't have a third place match up when the loser of the last match doesn't have a functioning knee.
judo just did what was best for the sport.

any dojo can teach leg locks as much or as little as they want. i'm personally of the mind set they should only be taught to brown or above

Don't you think Judo would have been better off if they added a Greco division rather than changing the entire sport? Judo athletes had a hard enough time transitioning to MMA

at this point Judo is practically worthless as a martial art, I would suggest bjj is not anything more than Judo groundwork however just with a difference in rules BJJ has taken over the world and Judo can't even fill a high school gymnasium with Spectators in the USA

we need to start deducting points in MMA for boring offensive grapplers.
That's an oxymoron. If a grappler is truly "offensive", he's at the very least constantly seeking to advance or improve position, which is in no way boring unless you're a casul.

That's an oxymoron. If a grappler is truly "offensive", he's at the very least constantly seeking to advance or improve position, which is in no way boring unless you're a casul.
Wrong.

lay n pray is offensive wrestling = boring
wall n stall is offensive wrestling = boring

you are the casual boring fight fan.

Back