how toxic is vitamin c?

V

vjekoboban

what is in your opinion the highest does of vitamin one could take daily without endangering his ehalth?

some guys say that the surplus of vitaminc just gets flushed with the urin but ive heard other ppl say that not everything gets pissed out and that there is a dosage at which it gets too much.

can anyone give me some info?

ive been drinking around 4g daily

vjekoboban said:
what is in your opinion the highest does of vitamin one could take daily without endangering his ehalth?

some guys say that the surplus of vitaminc just gets flushed with the urin but ive heard other ppl say that not everything gets pissed out and that there is a dosage at which it gets too much.

can anyone give me some info?

ive been drinking around 4g daily

Good God, why?

Complete saturation occurs at 1000mg daily, so stay under that (it's pointless to take more anyway):
http://www.nutramed.com/nutrients/vitaminc.htm

Ted-P said:
I knew I couldnt fucking trust those GNC supplement pills.

5000MG of Vitamin C in one pill. FUckers.

5000mg? You sure you didn't mis-read it? I've heard of 500mg but not 5000mg! That must be a huge pill. :eek:

Sonny said:
5000mg? You sure you didn't mis-read it? I've heard of 500mg but not 5000mg! That must be a huge pill. :eek:
Bwaaaaa...you're right.

It's 500MG. I misread it.

Still........833% of daily value? Fuck that.

Riboflavin 5882%
Thiamin 6667%
Vitamin B-12 2500%?

This is pure overload.

actually you'd be suprised how stupid those percentages are. Many (most) people need over 100% of the RDA's, especially athletes.

yeah as a matter of fact those RDA˙ś were established decades ago............im takeing 4 grmas a day coz im often sick and to raise my immune system...........i remember entropy saying somehwere that he takes 5 times a day a 3 grams = 15 grams in total each day..........

I forget who said it (maybe jarfi?) but synthetic vitamin C is an isomere of natural vitamin C. And Isomere is a molecule with the same ingredients, but arranged differently. In this case it's actually a mirror image of natural vitamin C and no rotation of a mirror image will make it match the original (except on the 4th dimentional axis, but that's really not relevant here). as such, your body is not set up to absorb it, and cannot absorb it.

actually i dont know if it matter but i take pure vitamin c which i buy in powder.........i then put like half of a teaspoon in a glass of water........thats like 1 gram. do that 3 times a day. and the other gram i get in my multivitamin pill and in my proteins shakes.

i buy the vitamin c in powder form since its much much less money then in tabs or pills

Urban said:
I forget who said it (maybe jarfi?) but synthetic vitamin C is an isomere of natural vitamin C. And Isomere is a molecule with the same ingredients, but arranged differently. In this case it's actually a mirror image of natural vitamin C and no rotation of a mirror image will make it match the original (except on the 4th dimentional axis, but that's really not relevant here). as such, your body is not set up to absorb it, and cannot absorb it.

so basicly the human body cannot absorb any vitamin c (does this apply to other syntetical vitamins too) other the ones it gets from food?

Sort of. I mean, Vitamin C can be extracted from food and sold as supplements I'm sure. But my understanding is that most if not all synthesised vitamin C cannot be absorbed.

ya.....id really like to see some studies on that issue, really sparked my interest

Urban said:

i do not know the exact science , im sure though that you do not absorb much with synthetic vitamins at all ... but in reference to the vitamin c thats interesting if no absorption . damn scam with the vitamin c tablets etc , does not surprise me though.

mandarins and bananas are a much nicer way :wink:

slightly related , i remember reading somewhere that newborn babies have like a supply of vitamin c .. do not recall how long it lasts for though .. if anyone knows .. i think it was a week? or longer .

I have read that you cannot absorb more than 100 or so mg at a sitting, and therefore the huge megadose pills are a waste. You are better off taking a small pill a few times a day.

Taking vit C for your immuse system is a waste of time. The largest study ever done was on vit C and the common cold and they found no relationship. Vit c does not increase immunity.

As far as the isomerism of synthetic vit C, i don't know. A stereo-isomer, is two molecules that are mirror images of each other. The example always used is your hands. Your hands are built the same way, same fingers etc, but are mirror images and no matter how you rotate them they will never have the same conformation. Many molecules/proteins have mirror images, but they cannot be used since every enzyme in your body (where the molecues fit, like a lock and key) are made for only one kind, the L isoform. Hence why everything is "l-glutamine" and "l-leucine" and whatnot. If it is the D form, don't buy it; but I have never seen a d form in a store before, so don't start checking all your supp bottles.

Since that info is common knoweldge to supp industries, I doubt they'd have a lot of the wrong isomer that cannot be used. I assume you are fine, but don't know for sure. It should be as easy to make one isomer as the other. I would think the worse case scenario you have a mixture of both and you only get half.

Oh, toxicity. It shouldn't be hard to get a straight number online if you look, but I wouldn't be that worried. Bumping up the dosage too quickly can cause diareah, but other than that I've heard of people working up to 10 grams a day. Since it is a water soluble vitamin, its hard to overdose. If you are taking more than 500 mg or one gram, IMO you are just wasting your money.

Rjkd12 said:
I have read that you cannot absorb more than 100 or so mg at a sitting, and therefore the huge megadose pills are a waste. You are better off taking a small pill a few times a day.

Taking vit C for your immuse system is a waste of time. The largest study ever done was on vit C and the common cold and they found no relationship. Vit c does not increase immunity.

As far as the isomerism of synthetic vit C, i don't know. A stereo-isomer, is two molecules that are mirror images of each other. The example always used is your hands. Your hands are built the same way, same fingers etc, but are mirror images and no matter how you rotate them they will never have the same conformation. Many molecules/proteins have mirror images, but they cannot be used since every enzyme in your body (where the molecues fit, like a lock and key) are made for only one kind, the L isoform. Hence why everything is "l-glutamine" and "l-leucine" and whatnot. If it is the D form, don't buy it; but I have never seen a d form in a store before, so don't start checking all your supp bottles.

Since that info is common knoweldge to supp industries, I doubt they'd have a lot of the wrong isomer that cannot be used. I assume you are fine, but don't know for sure. It should be as easy to make one isomer as the other. I would think the worse case scenario you have a mixture of both and you only get half.

This stuff scares the bejesus out of me ever since I learned about thalidomide.

RKJD, have you read about time-released vitamins? To me it makes sense you can absorb more of a single pill since the glue that keeps it together while in your digestive tract only allows smaller increments to be released into your system.

So I take a time-released MV. I used to take liquid. I felt better with both than the standard, but I always chalked that up to placebo, since I didn't figure the MV should make a huge immediate difference in how you feel (I could be wrong, but my mood and physical buzz fluctuates so much from day to day, I could never trust that "feeling better" before I went the gym- the one time I thought about it- was telling me anything true). .

I found that taking more than 2 grams at once gave me wicked smelling farts!

Rjkd12 said:

its not to boost your immune system, i think more to increase the well being which will i guess keep you well , most people lack having many vitamins in their diet anyway.

true they do not know the actual relation if any as of yet with the common cold . though vitamin C along with other vitamins such as E and such , work together as detox , antioxident ,antiviral, antihistamine to the body , all which benificial .. my guess is that when you are ill , essentialy you are lacking in many of the things needed.

i still say eat the foods rather than take the pills ... im sure if you do take pills like you said u gotta take alot of smaller pills as opposed to one or two large doses , coz u just waste it all away ..

interesting read on the L-isoform btw

Herculean said:
its not to boost your immune system, i think more to increase the well being which will i guess keep you well , most people lack having many vitamins in their diet anyway.

true they do not know the actual relation if any as of yet with the common cold . though vitamin C along with other vitamins such as E and such , work together as detox , antioxident ,antiviral, antihistamine to the body , all which benificial .. my guess is that when you are ill , essentialy you are lacking in many of the things needed.

i still say eat the foods rather than take the pills ... im sure if you do take pills like you said u gotta take alot of smaller pills as opposed to one or two large doses , coz u just waste it all away ..

interesting read on the L-isoform btw

Yeah, but that's not how it's been marketed. I've seen ads in the GNC and elsewhere that specifically say, "Take Vitamin C to boost your immune system."

Back