how toxic is vitamin c?

I bought a Universal AnimalPak multivitamin just to try it out.
Some of the percentages on it are:

Vitamin C - 1667%DV
Vitamin D - 170%
Vitamin E - 1000%
Thiamin HCI - 5067%
Riboflavin - 4471%
etc, etc...

One pack comes with eleven pills some of which are huge and it has that Multivitamin smell that you notice 20 feet away. I didn't notice any significant improvements after 2 weeks (15 packs, one per day per box), so I stopped taking the shit. Just wanted to improve my general immunity and health.

Isn't vitamin C water solluble anyways meaning if you consume too much it goes to waste anyways?

StevieSparkZ said:
Isn't vitamin C water solluble anyways meaning if you consume too much it goes to waste anyways?

EDIT: What I was taught was that you wanna avoid "ADEK" Vitamins A, D, E, and K because they are not water solluble and can become toxic if OD'd long enough, but not vitamin's b and c i was taught they were water solluble? Can anyone confirm any of this?

yeah its true, at least thats why i have been taught also, but some ppl say you can still take too much

You don't need to worry about water soluble vitamins as much since the excess is excreted in urine. Fat soluble vitamins you hold on to them, so by taking 50% extra a day may catch up to you in a few weeks and you'll have some toxicity issues.

But, you can still overdose on water soluble vitamins. By weekend warriors and other athletes taking huge megadoses of water soluble vitamins (sometimes not knowing it because its in a few different products they are taking) have had many problems.

Next time you are at borders, check out "The man who mistook his wife for a hat" by Oliver Sachs. One chapter in there is about a woman who took too much vit B and lost all proprioception. She just woke up one morning and didn't have it. She had no facial expressions, couldn't walk, sit up right or do anything. She eventually learned to deal a bit and move around some by literally looking at everything she did. The chapter is The disembodied lady. The author says that more and more cases of things like this are happening because of health nuts going overboard on vitamins.

From what I understand you need to add bioflavanoids in order for vitamin C supplements to be absorbed by the body. I do take vitamin C supplements for the past 2 years. I have to admit that I have barely been sick in these two years.

Wolverine
///

Haha, nice way to jinx it. I'd knock on wood or prepare for a crazy debut with mono, the flu or some crazy throat infection.

I *ahem* rarely get sick also, when I do its normally something huge (i've had a horrible case of mono, hand foot and mouth disease, eye infections, never a runny nose/common cold). I hate saying that to people though. *knocks on wood*

Some pills pass right through your system as well. I took a mutli-vit once with some vitamin C and checked the can after a shit and sure enough I saw the fucking caps floating next to a log. Told my doc and he said some pills are absorbed better than others. He recommended I chew my vitamins to increase absorption, it tastes like ass but what the hell, I'm the same guy who drank nothing but water/maple syrup/cayenne pepper/lemon for a week!

Back