How To Shoot/Takedown?

Marvin Covar

Amateur Fighter
@Brown
Reaction score
Now I know that this has probably been done to death, but I guess I'm just too lazy to Google it or do a search plus I thought were else would be better to learn than from the posters in the Grappling forum? So anyway, here are my questions:

1. What is/are the differences between a shoot and a takedown? Are they even different?

2. How do you execute this move? Is there a difference in how to do it from a BJJ guy and a wrestler? How do you do both?

3. How do you defend against these? I hear about and see a lot of sprawls in MMA, but again, I'd rather take the advice of pure grapplers who've perfected technique than watch fighters who more often than not, have developped bad habits.

Thanks a bunch, guys! I'm a bit of a n00b here, and a little help would be greatly appreciated. :)

a takedown is any technique which is used to bring your opponent down to the floor, double and single leg shots are takedowns, as are throws and footsweeps... a shot is basicly the inward lunge for a takedown though the term is extended to describe the double and single leg takedowns,
assuming you are refering to a double leg shot, the major difference between wrestling and bjj is that wrestlers drop one knee to the floor to give more drive, jiu jitsu practitioners try not to do this as it can have negative implications in a self defense scenario (you dont wanna drop your knee on concrete),
Basic form for a double leg: drive your opponents's attention upward by throwing a jab or thrusting your hands out at his head level, lower your level, leading with your hands lunge forward (head up and back straight) stepping your forward leg between your opponents legs (this is called your penetration-step) as a wrestler you want to drive this knee forward to the floor, step your back-leg past your opponents legs as you wrap your hands behind his knee, your head tucks to his side at waist to rib level(on the side of your backleg). your shoulder to the front of his waist. (head and shoulder position are disputable). you now have many options to finish: drive forward for the takedown, lift and drop, lift sideways to drop him straight into side-control (avoids the guard and nullifies the guillotine), twist him down, block his foot with your own and drive him over your foot.
Rather than defend the sprawl, dont end up there, you gotta time your shot good or you'll get sprawled on and the other guy taked the advantage, you basicly have all the turtle techniques to work from under the sprawl, you wanna work to escape out the side, gain the guard, or go for a single-leg takedown, but you now gotta defend your back also.

hope theres something helfpul in there.

If you are too lazy to even use google, I suggest you not bother training at all, it's a lot more strenuous that a search engine.

Superbeast said:
If you are too lazy to even use google, I suggest you not bother training at all, it's a lot more strenuous that a search engine.

Superbeast: 1
Legshot420: 0

Superbeast said:

Very fair statement.

reddragon454 said:
Lol that was pretty harsh superbeast.

2 hours involving warming up, drills, techniques and sparring takes a lot more effort and physical exertion than typing "wrestling takedowns" in google or on this forum's search engine. Only yesterday a thread was started about wrestling resources which people contributed to so I don't see how it's unfair. Wrestling is far from an activity for lazy people to indugle in. I can't imagine Matt Hughes being too lazy to use google. Maybe that's just me.

The double leg is a hard technique that requires lots of practice. I am not sure how much google or this forum can help.

Superbeast said:
2 hours involving warming up, drills, techniques and sparring takes a lot more effort and physical exertion than typing "wrestling takedowns" in google or on this forum's search engine. Only yesterday a thread was started about wrestling resources which people contributed to so I don't see how it's unfair. Wrestling is far from an activity for lazy people to indugle in. I can't imagine Matt Hughes being too lazy to use google. Maybe that's just me.

I'm with you brotha. No reason to worry about this stuff if you're too lazy to search for it let alone do it.

After I check the boards, I got to go do some burpee conditioning in the garage. I know I'm not the fittest guy around (trying to get there and I'm better than I was) but I'm definitly not too lazy to be using the search function.

i'm too lazy to write a response.. done at least 3 or 4 takedown threads...

jesus.. the white belts get yellow belts, but are still morons as a whole.

legshot420.

First read the Upanishads. Then Rimbaud. Listen to the Sex Pistols for a week straight. Spend seven days in the desert solo.

Then return.

Bubble Boy said:
legshot420.

Spend seven days in the desert solo.

Then return.

And while you're there, tell Jim Morrison I said hi.

whoa... this is the first time i've been flamed. i've never felt so... loved. gee, thanks guys. lol

legshot420 said:
whoa... this is the first time i've been flamed. i've never felt so... loved. gee, thanks guys. lol

Not really a flame. You aren;t going to be able to learn much from the internet. You may learn the names of the moves, but you need to drill them multiple times for them to be effective. Maybe you should start training somewhere.

There's anotehr takedown thread on thsi very page. That's beyond lazy... You just tapped out to LIFE!!

Define irony:

Name of the thread starter............name of the thread

bacon said:
Define irony:

Name of the thread starter............name of the thread

420 implies that he smokes weed. Maybe he forgot.

Back