How to improve my pullups?

John Paul II

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm 1.83 m / 88 kgs. A bit overwheight...

At most, I can do 3 pullups. How can I improve?

I do it all alone, so no one to help me up.

I can do over 70 pushups, but only that small number of pullups. What should I do? Some biceps? Shoulders?

it's the freakin' POPE back from the dead!

Do something like 8 sets of 2 reps with 2-3 min. of rest between sets.

Someone also mentioned negatives.

Losing weight will do wonders for your pullups.

Aside from that just do them. You can try doing 30 a day in 10 sets of 3 and build from there.

And if you can only do only 3 pullups and 70 pushups you are either lying or not doing the pushups right.

The answer to the question you asked is there is no way to improve pullups, they are perfect already.

Unless you aren't doing them chest to bar.

Poliquin's recent article on t-nation goes over this.

Also, if you read the Q&A on elitefts by Harry Selkow, he has been helping several people with pullups recently.

And if you can only do only 3 pullups and 70 pushups you are either lying or not doing the pushups right.

I would also agree, definitely not doing the pushups right.

Two days ago a guy at the gym told me, proudly, that he was going to beat his all time record of 95 push ups. He told me after he was done that he got 97. His ROM was approximately 3 inches.

Two days ago a guy at the gym told me, proudly, that he was going to beat his all time record of 95 push ups. He told me after he was done that he got 97. His ROM was approximately 3 inches.

I saw the same shit at a gym I used to frequent recently. This stocky guy told me he was about to bench 135, 100 times. He did, but had that same ROM. I farted and walked away.

I saw the same shit at a gym I used to frequent recently. This stocky guy told me he was about to bench 135, 100 times. He did, but had that same ROM. I farted and walked away.

well played. i watched a guy search high a low for 45 lb plates the other day, must haver loadedabout 10 plates onto the leg press machine. he sat down, clicked the safety gaurds off and proceeded to bend his knees slightly, moving the load about 3 inches. i farted several times...

I hate it when people do that and really think their lifting that poundage.

Back