How to improve/make your shot faster?

Dreamcatcher10

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just looking for some tips from experienced grapplers or preferably wrestlers. Excercises? Drills?

i had some good results from using those giant bands you attach to your waist and then to the wall, then just take shots up and down the mats

Squats and lunges, and practising your shots

Practicing your shot is really the only way

Squats, and Full Cleans seem to have the best crossover affect in terms of muscle training

yeah i have always heard that doing shots WILL improve your speed/technique/strength OF YOU SHOT. so doing shots with a weighted vest on or doing them with bands attached to you will all work. But you have to be doing THEE SHOT, but adding resistance while doing it. Squatting and Lunges will help but not as much as doing the motion ITSELF with resistance.

#1) If you want to get better at push-ups, do push ups. While the bench press may help, doing pushups is the best thing. Or you can add weight to a push up if you are no longer progressing.

#2) If you want to get better at conditioning in a wrestling match do high intensity rounds of wrestling of 2 minutes at 3 rounds until you get in great condition. Also many other factors will serve as getting you in better shape such as wearing an extra weighted 20lb vest while doing those rounds. Once you take the vest off, your bodyweight will allow you to go faster and stronger and be EVEN MORE conditioined than you were with just your bodyweight. Also things like running stairs, jogging, sprints, HIIT, and other variations will help with your conditioning but doing the movement you are trying to get better at IS THE BEST POSSIBLE THING TO DO. of course thats if you want to get better at that.

Those 2 are just examples on how doing THEE movement is better than trying to obtain getting better at that certain thing rather than doing something different to that specific movement and thinking its going to help you more.

#3) We've had guys come into football who can lift more than anyone. But the real guys who come in are the guys who practice agility, and work on catching, and techniques, and fundamentals all summer. These are the guys who start. Sure strength is important, but doing what YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AT is going to help you the most. (this story was from another forum i read a long time ago. i just re-wrote it...the football story above was re-wrote)

#4) Ive strength trained impressively throughout my career. I am P4P the strongest kid in my school. Actually THEE strongest kid in my school and im going into my senior year. During wrestling season on my freshmen year, i thought i was going to be the best lifting weights half the summer and throughout football.

WELL, i was wrong. i went into wrestling open summer roll around and i got my A$$ beat on. By guys lighter and heavier than me. It felt as though i was being manhandled by them, and they almost never lifted weights. In matter of fact, i knew guys who DID lift weights and i toyed them in the weight room, BUT NO. NO. NOT THE WRESTLING ROOM.

So as you can see in those 2 examples (#3, and #4), I showed that training for a different specific thing that might HELP you in a sport is overall not going to get you BETTER for that sport. Sure their are different things to consider like cross country. If you run all summer compared to a guy not running all summer, you will do way better than him. So there are different things to go about this,, but in wrestling/MMA, technique and BEING ON THE MAT and doing the drills and drilling constantly is going to get you better at your specific sport.

SO TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION MY FRIEND....
to get better at shots, SHOOT, SHOOT, AND SHOOT!. The more i did my shots the quicker and better i became at them. Also shots aren't all about power...power comes with timing my friend. But to improve on them, practice, practice, and practice. You can add resistance to them or weighted vest to them as long as your doing THE SHOT. don't do a shot with your hand up, right? you'll never do that in a match will you?

So there's your answer dude. I hope you liked my explanation and the time it took to write this (25min.)

But its always great to answer questions as i like to review everything myself. Have you ever seen fighters say that they like teaching because it brings back fundamentals? I love that. Not only did i help you out today, but i helped myself out. thank you :)

yeah i have always heard that doing shots WILL improve your speed/technique/strength OF YOU SHOT. so doing shots with a weighted vest on or doing them with bands attached to you will all work. But you have to be doing THEE SHOT, but adding resistance while doing it. Squatting and Lunges will help but not as much as doing the motion ITSELF with resistance.

#1) If you want to get better at push-ups, do push ups. While the bench press may help, doing pushups is the best thing. Or you can add weight to a push up if you are no longer progressing.

#2) If you want to get better at conditioning in a wrestling match do high intensity rounds of wrestling of 2 minutes at 3 rounds until you get in great condition. Also many other factors will serve as getting you in better shape such as wearing an extra weighted 20lb vest while doing those rounds. Once you take the vest off, your bodyweight will allow you to go faster and stronger and be EVEN MORE conditioined than you were with just your bodyweight. Also things like running stairs, jogging, sprints, HIIT, and other variations will help with your conditioning but doing the movement you are trying to get better at IS THE BEST POSSIBLE THING TO DO. of course thats if you want to get better at that.

Those 2 are just examples on how doing THEE movement is better than trying to obtain getting better at that certain thing rather than doing something different to that specific movement and thinking its going to help you more.

#3) We've had guys come into football who can lift more than anyone. But the real guys who come in are the guys who practice agility, and work on catching, and techniques, and fundamentals all summer. These are the guys who start. Sure strength is important, but doing what YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AT is going to help you the most. (this story was from another forum i read a long time ago. i just re-wrote it...the football story above was re-wrote)

#4) Ive strength trained impressively throughout my career. I am P4P the strongest kid in my school. Actually THEE strongest kid in my school and im going into my senior year. During wrestling season on my freshmen year, i thought i was going to be the best lifting weights half the summer and throughout football.

WELL, i was wrong. i went into wrestling open summer roll around and i got my A$$ beat on. By guys lighter and heavier than me. It felt as though i was being manhandled by them, and they almost never lifted weights. In matter of fact, i knew guys who DID lift weights and i toyed them in the weight room, BUT NO. NO. NOT THE WRESTLING ROOM.

So as you can see in those 2 examples (#3, and #4), I showed that training for a different specific thing that might HELP you in a sport is overall not going to get you BETTER for that sport. Sure their are different things to consider like cross country. If you run all summer compared to a guy not running all summer, you will do way better than him. So there are different things to go about this,, but in wrestling/MMA, technique and BEING ON THE MAT and doing the drills and drilling constantly is going to get you better at your specific sport.

to get better at shots, SHOOT, SHOOT, AND SHOOT!. The more i did my shots the quicker and better i became at them. Also shots aren't all about power...power comes with timing my friend. But to improve on them, practice, practice, and practice. You can add resistance to them or weighted vest to them as long as your doing THE SHOT. don't do a shot with your hand up, right? you'll never do that in a match will you?

So there's your answer dude. I hope you liked my explanation and the time it took to write this (25min.)

But its always great to answer questions as i like to review everything myself. Have you ever seen fighters say that they like teaching because it brings back fundamentals? I love that. Not only did i help you out today, but i helped myself out. thank you :)

nice reply / answer

Thanks for taking the time to write this. i think im getting too caught up in the conditioning aspect vs technique

Definitely going to try and work shooting in with a weighted vest, also a resistance band around waist sounds good considering it's usually the hips that start to slow down and back out first.

Drill. Drilling is the most important aspect of wrestling. Speed and violence of action come from drilling and refining during live goes.

Drill, drill and drill some more.

grab a partner and go shot for shot 5 times each for a set. if your by yourself practice shots on a mat or carpet going straight. switch left and right shots and then turn around and do it again. I've been wrestling for many years and this type of drilling is really what will get our shot better by doing the basics and practicing good form. Practice doesn't make perfect, Perfect practice makes perfect.

Two factors (in order of importance)

1. Movement economy. Are you wasting time because your movements are inefficient?

2. Power output - can you apply enough force to perform the movement as quickly as you need to for your level of opponent?

Until you are quite good, technique trumps conditioning. At some point, weightlifting and plyometrics become very important. Front and back squats, trap bar deadlifts, split squats, etc will all help if you become significantly stronger with them without gaining too much bodyweight.

Joe Defranco had Dan Hardy doing jumping trap bar deadlifts with a reduced load and the weight elevated so that there was only resistance at the peak of the movement. That looked like a great exercise! Unfortunately, Dan is nowhere near the fighter GSP is lol.

the best way is to just drill it, drill it, drill it. Some things that may help out is to have someone put there hands on yur shoulders n provide resistance as u shoot. keep shooting until yur done, then let yur partner hav a go. also u coudl wear a weighted vest.

for weight lifting: deadlifts (for lifting the opponent), oly lifts such as powerclean (explosiveness), hill sprints helps yur endurance in while being explosive, n imo that will help u finish w/o tiring out. there's also a lot of pulling in certain takedowns so i'd do a lot of pull ups.

the muscles that are included in executing a shot are mainly the hamstrings, glutes, n lower back.

in addition to drilling your shots (which, as everyone has told you, is the best way to actually improve them) drill your set-ups, too. i know that i've taken some god awful shots before that would've been countered ruthlessly if my setups hadn't given me a large margin of error. good set-ups+good shots = tough neutral game.

i'm assuming you wrestle in HS/college. if so, summer (aka off-season) is a good time to get working on your heavy squats, cleans, deads before regular wrestling practice begins.

You're equating a faster shot with a more effective shot, and that may be true in some cases, but if what you're looking for it a more effective shot, then working on your set up is the quickest way to get there.

Assuming your stance is sound and your shot technique is adequate, how do you set up a shot?

- Get close. This is the biggest mistake I see mose people make. If you can't reach out and touch your opponent with a bent (at the elbow) arm, then you're too far away to shoot. Superman shots are ugly and they waste a lot of energy. Get close before you shoot.

- Circle/Create angles. If you're always shooting head-on, you're doing it wrong. Create angles by circling, and not always in the same direction.

- Change levels. If you're always at the same height as you circle, as soon as you drop to shoot, your opponent knows what's coming. Change levels so you aren't as easy to anticipate. Try faking a shot and reshooting after his initial reaction.

- Move them around. From a tie up, you can use duck unders, high-Cs, head shucks/snaps, etc... Move your opponent around to create angles from a tie up. If your opponent likes to reach out, arm drag his ass.

Lastly, if you find yourself at the bottom of a bad shot, base up, draw the leg in and finish at the ankle. Don't stay under your opponent.

Setting up shots, IMO, is THE best way to take your takedowns to the next level. Get creative. Watch tapes of top tier guys and for the love of god, tape your matches so you can see what you're doing right, but more importantly, what you're doing wrong.

Back