how to defend a triangle choke for newbies?

I'm so confused by this place sometimes.

In one post, I see what sounds like a nice guy who is actually training but asking for "newbie" advice get run into the ground and made fun of.....

........then I see this post from a guy who claims he's "planning" to start training at some point yet also claims to participate in spontaneous MMA matches with his friends because they just so happen to have two pairs of gloves get actual technical answers.

Did everyone miss the part where he described his "fight"? He got a single and then proceeded to "hurt" his buddy with his ground and pound until he got caught with the triangle?

Really? :icon_neut

Trying to reason with the internets is a losing battle...

defending a triangle once it's already locked in is a little bit like defending a punch after you've been hit in the face :(

But there are a couple of "ohh shit" things you can do. The first, and most important thing is for you to posture and look at the ceiling as much as you can. This will buy you time to use some of the other defenses.

start with this and it will help with any of the escapes that people post after me :D

This, but imo people worry to much about "posturing up and looking at the ceiling" and don't worry enough about getting your ass low and your hips in. Posturing with your hips/ass up doesn't do alot.

Get your damn ass down and your hips into the guys ass as you posture and look up.

The sit and pry method has always worked wonders for me, so I have to suggest that.

Two arms in or two arms out
Posture
Sit and pry

or i quite like the one in Saulo's bjj university where you step around to the side (easier said than done depending on how tight the triangle is), putting a single knee on their stomach/chest and prying.

In fairness to the guy, he made an attempt to do a valid escape.

Yeah true, i was laughing especially about the fact that he hates Bjj and doesn't want to train it and than off all people he gets used as an example of how to do a Bjj technique. And of course it makes it extra funny that he got caught in one in his last fight.:icon_chee

Yeah true, i was laughing especially about the fact that he hates Bjj and doesn't want to train it and than off all people he gets used as an example of how to do a Bjj technique. And of course it makes it extra funny that he got caught in one in his last fight.:icon_chee

8 of his losses were subs, and many of those were triangles. He's really gotta hit the gym ;}

Triangle choke/escape in no gi is a bjj technique?? Realy?

Yeah where do you think it came from? Professional wrestling?

Do you realy want me to name you all grappling discipline who got triangle choke and triangle choke escape in their 'curiculum' ??

Not all grappling is bjj!! Spread the words! ;-)

Two arms in or two arms out. He has to isolate one of your arms before he can throw up his legs. He can't triangle you without doing this.

If he gets the triangle on, posture up immediately to try to escape. If he controls your head and you cant posture up, try to stack him or use some of the escapes listed by posters above.

Its difficult to simply be "told" how to escape a triangle. It really depends on how much personal experience you have escaping them, and how good your opponent is at finishing with it.

this is my answer.

Well it was in Catch/Judo which pre-dates BJJ.

Do we really need to go over this again??

What is Catch/Judo?

Catch wrestling? Please. The triangle choke comes from Judo (which pre-dates BJJ by a few decades), but nowadays it's really BJJ that owns that technique, by virtue of using it more often and more effectively than any other grappling style, by an order of magnitude.

Pretty much all grapplers use the triangle now, but no, for god's sake, it did not come from catch wrestling.

The Figure-Four head scissors, with an arm in or out, has been in European wrestling for centuries.

What is Catch/Judo?

Catch wrestling? Please. The triangle choke comes from Judo (which pre-dates BJJ by a few decades), but nowadays it's really BJJ that owns that technique, by virtue of using it more often and more effectively than any other grappling style, by an order of magnitude.

Pretty much all grapplers use the triangle now, but no, for god's sake, it did not come from catch wrestling.

A prime example of a BJJihadist at work.

Your ignorance of grappling is shocking...

Well i don't really care what martial art used the triangle (escape) first.

Bjj is no ancient Martial art so obviously a lot of techniques are (modified) techniques from other martial arts.

All i know is i learned and drilled the triangle and triangle escapes in my Bjj classes.

So therefore i associate it with Bjj.

Well i don't really care what martial art used the triangle (escape) first.

Bjj is no ancient Martial art so obviously a lot of techniques are (modified) techniques from other martial arts.

All i know is i learned and drilled the triangle and triangle escapes in my Bjj classes.

So therefore i associate it with Bjj.

It's ok, but it's ok to remind you that not all grappling is bjj ;-)

Back