how to defend a triangle choke for newbies?

Jeremygp24

White Belt
Reaction score
okay i'm a pure wrestler
I am planning on taking Muy Thai and BJJ after wrestling season
and yesterday, my friends and I were bored so we decided to mess around with MMA because we had 2 pairs of mma gloves.

I sparred with my friend that take BJJ classes... our session started with him throwing a punch and I took him down with a single leg.
then i proceeded to ground and pound him in his guard and I hurt him a bit
but like I said I'm a pure wrestler and he caught me in a triangle

TLDR; how do you escape from a triangle choke when its already locked in? (except for picking them up and slamming)

you dont really want to pick him up and slam him. . . you'd be better off stacking him and stepping over to relieve the pressure and just pulling out of it.

defending a triangle once it's already locked in is a little bit like defending a punch after you've been hit in the face :(

But there are a couple of "ohh shit" things you can do. The first, and most important thing is for you to posture and look at the ceiling as much as you can. This will buy you time to use some of the other defenses.

start with this and it will help with any of the escapes that people post after me :D

do what chael sonnen attempted to do by leaning back, stepping both of ur legs into his armpits and pulling back, be careful with ur arm hanging out tho or itll get snapped off

lock your hands underneath his hips, spread your chest wide, and make sure your shoulder is away from your neck. ryan hall calls this the frameup. it's where you can chill in a triangle for a bit before you make your escape attempt. against an experience opponent you'll get submitted nonetheless.

like said earlier it's like trying to get unpunched.
frameup.jpg

if they drag your arm across your body you can pull his knees down and then the angle is impossible for the person on bottom to finish.
rogergraciedefense.jpg

do what chael sonnen attempted to do by leaning back, stepping both of ur legs into his armpits and pulling back, be careful with ur arm hanging out tho or itll get snapped off

This is the best escape from my experience, and alot of Jiujitsu Gods have advocated this escape. The best example of it was Roger Gracie escaping Xande's triangle in ADCC 2005. I am suprised this escape isn't more popular, but prehaps its better for people with longer legs.

This is the best escape from my experience, and alot of Jiujitsu Gods have advocated this escape. The best example of it was Roger Gracie escaping Xande's triangle in ADCC 2005. I am suprised this escape isn't more popular, but prehaps its better for people with longer legs.

YES. I saw that match and I was like "OH SHIT ROGER IS GONNA TAP" and then he postured up, threw the leg over, and broke the triangle open. Ho lee shit!

Two arms in or two arms out. He has to isolate one of your arms before he can throw up his legs. He can't triangle you without doing this.

If he gets the triangle on, posture up immediately to try to escape. If he controls your head and you cant posture up, try to stack him or use some of the escapes listed by posters above.

Its difficult to simply be "told" how to escape a triangle. It really depends on how much personal experience you have escaping them, and how good your opponent is at finishing with it.

I'm so confused by this place sometimes.

In one post, I see what sounds like a nice guy who is actually training but asking for "newbie" advice get run into the ground and made fun of.....

........then I see this post from a guy who claims he's "planning" to start training at some point yet also claims to participate in spontaneous MMA matches with his friends because they just so happen to have two pairs of gloves get actual technical answers.

Did everyone miss the part where he described his "fight"? He got a single and then proceeded to "hurt" his buddy with his ground and pound until he got caught with the triangle?

Really? :icon_neut

this is the above mentioned roger gracie escape. I know it's sub 101...but I never found a better video on this escape.

my go to escape is using this one after holding onto a frameup for a bit. easy to switch hands from below hips to above.

Rob lovi showed a good escape, start from the second Ryan hall pic, use the same side knee (as the trapped arm) pivot it against his hips to open the legs up. It's a good alternative to the bully escape (first pic)

Lmao ! @ bringing up Chael Sonnen, of all people , as an example for a triangle defense. :icon_chee

Back