• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Economy How the upper middle class keeps everyone else out

117k is certainly upper middle class in many rural areas. For example, the median household income is 40k in Mississippi. 117k is also above the average of every single state. The highest state is Connecticut with 88k.

Above average, but that's still blue collar income. I believe most people are going to assiciate upper-middle clasd as being plant managers, bank managers etc. - Im thinking 200k+.

You'll certainly have a hard time convincing anyone that a couple with union jobs are making decisions and affecting tax policy on any meaningful scale as the vid in the OP suggests.

They are out of touch.
They are 100% out of touch with reality and what the average person is.

LOL at having AT LEAST 2x the median household income and the result is "oh that's above average, not upper middleclass"........ (reality check, having at the bare minimum 2x the average income isn't "above average").

I've known tons of people who think like that. "Oh i'm average by my neighborhoods standards" (*lives in a neighborhood that's nicer than 80% of the USA).

Above average, but that's still blue collar income. I believe most people are going to assiciate upper-middle clasd as being plant managers, bank managers etc. - Im thinking 200k+.

You'll certainly have a hard time convincing anyone that a couple with union jobs are making decisions and affecting tax policy on any meaningful scale as the vid in the OP suggests.

Making 25% more than the median of the richest state is upper middle class. It is still middle class, but upper.

Where I'm from, $200k - $250k seems like the start of upper middle class.

I make like $90k a year and am broke with student loans.

well ya...

they are the main drivers and proponents of NIMBY, not in my backyard. Yet they still support many liberal/progressive ideals, they just aren't effected by them

That being said, they also get zero funds from FAFSA, no tax breaks barring home ownership, etc....

well ya...

they are the main drivers and proponents of NIMBY, not in my backyard. Yet they still support many liberal/progressive ideals, they just aren't effected by them

That being said, they also get zero funds from FAFSA, no tax breaks barring home ownership, etc....

Well to be fair what I've come across is the wives and children are the liberal progressive idealists that are out of touch with just how good they got it. The dads will nod there head in agreement with his wife and kids then be real with you when having a beer in the garage.

They are 100% out of touch with reality and what the average person is.

LOL at having AT LEAST 2x the median household income and the result is "oh that's above average, not upper middleclass"........ (reality check, having at the bare minimum 2x the average income isn't "above average").

I've known tons of people who think like that. "Oh i'm average by my neighborhoods standards" (*lives in a neighborhood that's nicer than 80% of the USA).

Making 25% more than the median of the richest state is upper middle class. It is still middle class, but upper.

Someone should probably post a statistic on income in the United States.

I believe if a HOUSEHOLD makes 100-150k or more that makes up only roughly 10-15% of ALL households in the nation. I could be wrong, I think the last time I checked though that's what I read. Or maybe that was individuals making 100-150k a year that was only 10-15%

Which is pretty fucking funny because I can't begin to count how many times I've seen on a dating website a woman is looking for a guy who makes 100k or above. Talk about limiting one's options. She also expects there to be enough time for "family time" and "vacations" So guys who are working 80 hour weeks, sorry that just won't cut it.

He didn't really explain why he thinks its a good idea to bring some people down and let some people up.

Actually towards the end he did acknowledge thats its mathematically impossible to have too many people in the top.

I recently watched this video and it makes some good points. It is often the upper middle class rigging things through their community. They control it so it suits the needs of themselves and their families. Real rich people like Bezos and Gates don't need to rig shit. These upper middle class people prevent upward mobility of those below them systematically. The author calls them "dream hoarders".

Cliffs plz

My sister and her hushband are around $125k combined and its a decent amount of money (they take home almost $8,000 a month).

I would consider them upper middle class. Even in the inflated housing market (they live in one of the strongest hit) and 2 kids there not even spending half of what they make even with the extras perks they partake in
I make a good bit more on my sole income, and while it's good, I ain't rigging shit with that type of money. Can't even hide much money from my wife....

Actually towards the end he did acknowledge thats its mathematically impossible to have too many people in the top.
Right, but he didn't explain why he felt some were more deserving of being included in that 20% than others.

Right, but he didn't explain why he felt some were more deserving of being included in that 20% than others.

I don't think he is trying to explain than. Just reporting "what is" he didn't mention it as problem or offer a solution. Maybe just a knowledgeable piece?

I get whst you're saying, but at what point do you leave upper-middle class and move into the lower-upper class?

There's a big difference between 117k and 250k and I dont believe anyone will argue that 250 is upper class.

I hope everyone who can’t figure out how to get a job that pays something and instead of trying a different approach just starts blaming anyone with more than them suffers

Someone should probably post a statistic on income in the United States.

I believe if a HOUSEHOLD makes 100-150k or more that makes up only roughly 10-15% of ALL households in the nation. I could be wrong, I think the last time I checked though that's what I read. Or maybe that was individuals making 100-150k a year that was only 10-15%

Which is pretty fucking funny because I can't begin to count how many times I've seen on a dating website a woman is looking for a guy who makes 100k or above. Talk about limiting one's options. She also expects there to be enough time for "family time" and "vacations" So guys who are working 80 hour weeks, sorry that just won't cut it.

I have been posting statistics. 120k is twice the median, but they think they are middle class.

Overall, American households earned a median income of $57,652 in 2017, up from $55,322 in 2016, the survey reports. That number has increased a solid 12 percent since 2009, in the midst of the financial crisis, when the median household income sat at just $51,425.

The largest cohort of American households earn between $50,000 and $74,999.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/07/median-household-income-in-every-us-state-from-the-census-bureau.html

And for people talking about California and all that. There are households living on 30k there too.

Bell is an incorporated city in Los Angeles County, California

Bell, CA has a population of 35,927 people with a median age of 30 and a median household income of $38,823. Between 2015 and 2016 the population of Bell, CA declined from 35,998 to 35,927, a 0.2% decrease and its median household income grew from $37,269 to $38,823, a 4.17% increase.

The population of Bell, CA is 92.6% Hispanic, 4.51%White, and 1.42% Black. 89.5% of the people in Bell, CA speak a non-English language, and 74.1% are U.S. citizens.

https://datausa.io/profile/geo/bell-ca/

Last edited:
I recently watched this video and it makes some good points. It is often the upper middle class rigging things through their community. They control it so it suits the needs of themselves and their families. Real rich people like Bezos and Gates don't need to rig shit. These upper middle class people prevent upward mobility of those below them systematically. The author calls them "dream hoarders".

You seem poor

"By supporting certain policies and behaviors, they protect their status and keep others out"
This is completely absurd. The middle class isn't rigging anything. They are too busy working and living a normal life.
What policies and behaviors are they talking about anyway? Getting an education? Having a solid work ethic?
More blatant propaganda and the war on the middle class continues.

economix-24percentilechart-custom1.jpg

The 80th percentile isn't doing all that much better than the 50th.
"By supporting certain policies and behaviors, they protect their status and keep others out" - This is very clearly describing the 0.1%
Absolutely sickening video and not surprising that youtube disabled the comments

Back