• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Economy How the upper middle class keeps everyone else out

every ascending percentile group keeps the others down. Billionaires keep millionaires in check, millionaires keep the 6 figures earners in check and the 6 figures keep the rest in check.

By that metric, this will be my first year as upper middle class. I don't really agree with that metric, though. I've got a wife and 3 kids. It doesn't feel like what I imagine "upper middle class" to be. Anyway, I grew up bouncing back and forth between lower middle class and right around the poverty line. In my experience, the only barriers that existed for me or anyone else in the same places as me trying to work their way up were largely dependent on the person's attitude. I've been pretty good at acting enthusiastic all of the time and finding people I can get along with. That alone has opened a lot of doors.

Sure, people who are in a position to hook someone up with a job or a contract try to hook up people they know. Who wouldn't do that? I see no problem with that. That isn't a barrier for you, it's just a hook up for them.

For clarity, I did not receive any hookups from anyone I know. I certainly intend to try to hook up people I know when I can, though.

Does this system work in reverse at all? Do the poor keep richer people out of poor neighborhoods by jacking stuff?

For clarity, I did not receive any hookups from anyone I know. I certainly intend to try to hook up people I know when I can, though.
I think that's what the video is implying. Even though you grew up modestly (as did I, from a trailer to a 900 sq ft. raised ranch), we have bettered ourselves and elevated class. Now that we have elevated our class, we will do what we can to help people like us. It ends up being a bunch of class climbers like us, (through education and sacrifice) that help each other out, and not helping out lower class folks. At least that's what I get from it.

The fallacies contained in the last 45 seconds of that video were positively cringeworthy. Almost certainly deliberate too. That guy can go fuck himself.

This. The guy doesn't even really say anything to substantiate this claim beyond alluding to some vague examples.

I think that's what the video is implying. Even though you grew up modestly (as did I, from a trailer to a 900 sq ft. raised ranch), we have bettered ourselves and elevated class. Now that we have elevated our class, we will do what we can to help people like us. It ends up being a bunch of class climbers like us, (through education and sacrifice) that help each other out, and not helping out lower class folks. At least that's what I get from it.
My intention is to help lower class folks become class climbers, though. Most of my family/friends are not well off. I was a lower class folk when people welcomed me with open arms because of my positive attitude.

120k or more. Probably depends on location.

Each or household? I make 127k and I live in a townhome in a fairly ethnic neighborhood.

I think you mean more like 320k e.g., doctors, lawyers, finances, etc.

I think of upper middle north of $200k per year.

I recently watched this video and it makes some good points. It is often the upper middle class rigging things through their community. They control it so it suits the needs of themselves and their families. Real rich people like Bezos and Gates don't need to rig shit. These upper middle class people prevent upward mobility of those below them systematically. The author calls them "dream hoarders".

Yeah this video eloquently put what I've seen to be true in my lifetime from being friends with people that come from dysfunctional upbringings to knowing and having friends who have nuclear wealthy families.

I also have seen this in my field of construction and various jobs I've had.

Million dollar companies are generally 2-3 generations deep. Regulations did not affect the growth of the company in the 70's as it would for a start up in today's world. 1st generation companies that I've seen that have grown since the 90's generally came off of a farm where they had the collateral to put up and take a chance with debt. They also had family unity and support.

I've also had friends who have built residential area's referred to as "communities within communities" Its a nice term of saying its all made up of people who have a certain amount of income. The schools then also exist within these communities to keep the lower waged people out of the district.

For all those saying it's an "attitude thing" It's not. I've seen far far too many people in areas of privilege have very little gratitude for their upbringings. One has to remember babies don't ask to be born into the situations they get born into. Rarely do I come across wealthy people attributing their success to having their parents pay for their college. Having their parents know someone who got them that job. Even though I know that they did. On the flip side of that, rarely do I come across people struggling attributing it to coming from dysfunction. Or refusing to accept the fact economically and mathematically speaking they are "struggling".

One owner of a company I spoke with was trying to paint himself as just some over the top hard worker. Telling me how his dad (who owned a company) would have him work as a kid in the excavating business doing all these things. But what he doesn't see and also doesn't want to acknowledge, is many people never had a father. No one there to teach them how to change oil, how to work hard, how mechanics work, soil classes, efficiency, bidding, etc.

A lot of these companies tend to hire all their family members. Then extend that working opportunity to their close friends. Thus making it more of a network thing as opposed to the merit of work ethic or anything else. The people not within these circles are berated, talked down upon, and given the most rigorous assignments. The expectations of the outsiders is also higher. No one their to hold there hands. Tell them a more efficient way of doing something. In most cases they have to be BETTER than the circle of family and friends to earn their keep.

I've seen this happen in other fields as well. Networking is so huge and important. So environment in which one is raised in play a huge huge role. Which is probably an unseen advantage of trying your best to "keep up with Jones" if one has children and that lifestyle is keeping one near broke with debt. It may be worth all the stresses just to keep that child in an environment around "wealth" Even though technically its debt. And that probably also attributes to why the higher middle class earners also don't feel "rich"

Last edited:
His own "think tank" has said that the only things you need to do to not be permanently poor in this country are graduate HS, get a job and don't have kids before you're married, but in comes professor shitbird to tell us that it's really households that make $117k that need to be taken down a peg.

I recently watched this video and it makes some good points. It is often the upper middle class rigging things through their community. They control it so it suits the needs of themselves and their families. Real rich people like Bezos and Gates don't need to rig shit. These upper middle class people prevent upward mobility of those below them systematically. The author calls them "dream hoarders".

I dont know anyone who would define upper-middle class as 117k.

58 grand salaries for a husband and wife, especially with a few kids, is not "upper" even away from high rent cities

It’s pretty good in small town Nebraska. Omaha not by a long shot.

The salaries being thrown around in here are well above the median. See, you just prove the point of the video. You are denying your privilege. You guys are getting all defensive.

The video isnt talking about median - it said UPPER middle class. And 117k aint it, not even in tural America.

Lol at 120k household making you “upper middle class”.

It’s pretty good in small town Nebraska. Omaha not by a long shot.

Pretty good for sure. Definitely never have to worry about paying the bills or sudden major car repair.

I don't know if I'd say that's upper middle class tho. I'm in that 117k range with my wife, and we're just renting an 800 a month place while trying to pay extra on the copious student loans we have. How can I be upper middle class if I can't even afford a basic house?

I always thought of upper middle class both parents with 100k+ jobs. Or a single income father making 250k as a manager for something.

The kind of people that have a nice house that's a bit too big than necessary and go on plenty of nice vacations, but not rich and millionaires (aside from perhaps retirement savings)

Everyone looks out for themselves.

Something tells me there isnt a gathering of everyone in the upper middle class where they come up with ways to protect "the upper middle class"...

This is just more class propaganda getting the uneducated poor to hate those that have more than they do...its all their fault you know. Them. Those others. They are evil and are against you.

The video isnt talking about median - it said UPPER middle class. And 117k aint it, not even in tural America.

117k is certainly upper middle class in many rural areas. For example, the median household income is 40k in Mississippi. 117k is also above the average of every single state. The highest state is Connecticut with 88k.

He didn't really explain why he thinks its a good idea to bring some people down and let some people up.

Back