• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How surprised were you when Habib totally dominated D1 Gaethje on the ground?

not surprised at all,coming into the fight everyone spoke about gaethjes wrestling etc. but you've never seen it in action. so going into the fight i thought that it was just smoke and mirrors. i had a hunch that a guy is not as good as poeple portray him to be.
fight itself was a joke... and so 1sided that i lost any belief in any credentials gaethje has. somebody like oliveira would''ve field days with this guy

Not at all.
What made me surprised was how he just ate every shot Gaethje throwed at him like it was tiramisu.

Not at all.
What made me surprised was how he just ate every shot Gaethje throwed at him like it was tiramisu.

habib is tough as hell. after the 12th leg kick he started limping. Still went forward and got the takedown.

I thought Khabib might have trouble getting the fight to the ground ...wasn’t surprised at all he dominated after he got the fight to the ground

What's crazy is how Khabib dominated Gaethje like that with a broken foot and a bout of the mumps. Imagine what it would have been like if he were totally healthy.

Also, people are not giving Justin enough credit. He stuffed a bunch of Khabib's takedowns until the one at the end of round 1. Yes, Conor defended well at times but Khabib for the most part took him down easily. Where Conor excelled over Gaethje was in defending the grappling while Justin's BJJ was non-existent.

What's crazy is how Khabib dominated Gaethje like that with a broken foot and a bout of the mumps. Imagine what it would have been like if he were totally healthy.

Also, people are not giving Justin enough credit. He stuffed a bunch of Khabib's takedowns until the one at the end of round 1. Yes, Conor defended well at times but Khabib for the most part took him down easily. Where Conor excelled over Gaethje was in defending the grappling while Justin's BJJ was non-existent.

Rewatch the fight, Habib wasn't even trying to take Justin down for the first 3 minutes, but to walk him down.

Not at all.

Was surprised it lasted as long as it did honeestly.

Wasn't surprised at all. Obviously nobody thought the takedowns would be as easy as they were, but they were still expected and I don't think anyone thought Gaethje would be good off his back.

That being said, even if Gaethje stuffed all the takedowns, Khabib would have just controlled him up against the cage and won the fight there. Khabib has like 95% control in the clinch or something insane so Gaethje mostly just had a puncher's chance.

4ac.gif

RECKLESS fight by Khabib.
He's lucky he didn't walk into a KO.
JG basically retired Khabib.

Not at all. Khabib exploited a known weakness Justin had, he gets gassed quickly when he grapples. Plus there are levels to this, Khabib would be starched if he decided to stand and bang against Justin. To his credit he realized he couldn't take too many flush shots or leg kicks and he ended it quickly.

damn.....the biggest surprise wasnt the grappling difference. khabib is the greatest mma grappler of all time. he makes them all look like amateurs when it comes to grappling.

the greatest surprise was khabib running justin down......chasing him across the octagon, throwing bombs, kicks and jumping knees and tiring justin out like justin wasnt a high level athlete..

there was way more standup/striking than grappling and khabib took some damage, but he never backed down, never retreated and brought the fight to justin who started backing up/running/heavy breathing

that was the surprising part

damn.....the biggest surprise wasnt the grappling difference. khabib is the greatest mma grappler of all time. he makes them all look like amateurs when it comes to grappling.

the greatest surprise was khabib running justin down......chasing him across the octagon, throwing bombs, kicks and jumping knees and tiring justin out like justin wasnt a high level athlete..

there was way more standup/striking than grappling and khabib took some damage, but he never backed down, never retreated and brought the fight to justin who started backing up/running/heavy breathing

that was the surprising part

yes, Justing was breathing heavy after 2.5 minutes. Even Conor doesn't gas out that FAST/

Can we stop calling him a wrestler. He stands and bangs. Thats his style.

Can we stop calling him a wrestler. He stands and bangs. Thats his style.

Wrassler find it easy to stand and bang, cause they are not afraid to get taken down. Most of the time.

I was surprised Gaethje's defensive wrestling was so bad but I always knew he was done when it hit the mat, he said himself before the fight if he gets taken down it's over.

Justin was dangerous on the feet, the leg kicks caused a lot of damaged. But once Habib got a hold of him, it was all over. Habib absolutely dominated Gathje on the ground and the wrassling difference was so huge between the two, it made Gathje look like an amateur. Lets not forget Gaethje is D1 wrassler and Habib doesn't even have any wrassling credentials.

I for once for pretty surprised. I knew Gaethje was much better in the striking department, and I expected him to defend the takedowns and hold his own in the wrassling department long enough to make an impact in the standup war. There was no wrassling exchange, it was game over the moment Habib got the takedown. Complete domination from the champ. The D1 wrassler was overrun completely, this is something I did not expect to see at all. I was banking on Gaethje's D1 to neutralize the wrassling so that the fight can be only on the feet and I expected Gaethje to win. D1 was so embarrassed that night.

khabib-smash-gaethje.jpg

34991070-8892375-image-a-15_1603964175594.jpg

I think you were about the only one. Justin's wrestling has not translated very well to mma. He's been taken down several times before that, and just relied on forcing a scramble to get back up. It was widely believed that Khabib was gonna wrestle fuck him like he had everybody else.

Back