How smart is your home?

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
My home is pretty dumb right now. I have one smart device that I pretty much use as an alarm clock and nothing else.

But I have a buddy with a smart garage door opener that's pretty cool. It sends him alerts if he forgets to close it. And he can open/close with his phone which is handy like if you want to let a neighbor in your house to check on your pets or something.

Sometimes I do think it would be cool to have voice activated lights and fans and whatnot.

Anyhoo, how smart is your home? So you love your smart devices or are they just another problem?

semi smart. Cameras, garage door, and thermostat are smart. I can turn them of and on, and see updates and alerts on my phone.

Still got an old Hue system too, so I can change the colors of the lights too.

My home is pretty dumb right now. I have one smart device that I pretty much use as an alarm clock and nothing else.

But I have a buddy with a smart garage door opener that's pretty cool. It sends him alerts if he forgets to close it. And he can open/close with his phone which is handy like if you want to let a neighbor in your house to check on your pets or something.

Sometimes I do think it would be cool to have voice activated lights and fans and whatnot.

Anyhoo, how smart is your home? So you love your smart devices or are they just another problem?
I'm not gonna have wiretaps at home to eavesdrop on me and have thermostats that can be remotely shut off to save the shitty power grid in the middle of Texas summer

Plus I already have a surveillance device called a smart phone that monitors my Sherdog activity. No need for more

EuRmEnpXcAIE-O2.jpg:large

Purposefully not smart. I'm going backwards, not forward, with "smart home" and "Internet of Things" bullshit.

For real. My fridge, washing machine, and pellet smoker do not need to connect to the goddamn wifi.

I was laughing my ass off at the memes of people trying to start up their traeger on Thanksgiving day only to find it refused to warm up because the smoker wanted to download software updates.

I try to keep my home dumb. My phone and tv are the only things with alexa there will be some dystopian future where the government can shut down your entire home and car with a button press from a computwr 3000 miles away if you do something they dont agree with.

smart doorlocks - works great, if it died, I would get another one immediately
thermostat - works great, but dont use often
sprinkler system - moved to synthetic grass a long time ago, not being used
tesla solar - love not having a bill to pay and the app and processes are pretty nifty.

that's about as "smart" as my home gets, I do have some dumb devices that work well, like a conventional POE camera system, a cloud capable NAS works fantastic for data.

I'm not gonna have wiretaps at home to eavesdrop on me and have thermostats that can be remotely shut off to save the shitty power grid in the middle of Texas summer

Plus I already have a surveillance device called a smart phone that monitors my Sherdog activity. No need for more

EuRmEnpXcAIE-O2.jpg:large

I mean.. if you’re gonna have a wiretap it might as well be able to help you with breakfast..

smart doorlocks - works great, if it died, I would get another one immediately
I kinda want a door that will detect some little keychain fob thing, and then automatically unlock when I get close.

It's always a pain in the ass to unlock my door when my hands are full.

And it doesn't feel any less secure since someone would need to steal my keys to get in, which is the same security level as a regular lock. Unless they're easily hacked of course.

Anyhoo, does your smart lock do this?

TV's, thermostat and vaccuums. Like them all don't see the need for a lot of the available things.

The vaccuums are great for keeping up with dog hair and also for not having to vaccuum like a housewife.

Back