How rewarding are short notice fights actually?

You don't get anything extra for taking short notice fights. It's a lose lose.

I think it's the opposite. It's win-win. Most of the time from what I remember, if you lose when you take a short notice fight, the UFC gives you a pass and won't count it against you much. Typically, they kind of appreciate it and gives you a good winnable fight next, or a great step up fight. Think about it, if you run a business, an employee offers to come in when someone else is sick, even if they did a meh job, wouldn't you reward that employee a little because you want other employees to do the same next time you're in a bind? Or would you punish that short notice sub, and how do you think that motivates another employee to bail you out next time?

If the short notice fighter wins (we often hear about losers who fight a short notice guy giving excuses that they didn't train for the short notice guy's style), that's an additional paycheck and of course, a move up the rankings.

So, lose - usually minimal negative impact to ranking and an additional paycheck, win - quick move up in ranking and additional paycheck and win bonus.

Last edited:
I believe it doesn't count if its a loss (still paid fairly too) but counts a lot if it's a win. So good offer to accept in most cases

Their job is to fight…..declining a short notice bout will only hurt the individuals careers, imo especially if they just got signed. You’re considered a pro fighter at this point+ declining a bout because you’re out of shape just shows where your mindset is at.

It creates good will with the UFC, which can be repaid in different ways. It might help in contract renegotiations. It might help getting an opponent you asked for, over another fighter who wants the fight. I think it really depends on the situation, and I don't think they have a standard reward in place. Also, it might even get you a UFC contract if they bring you in from outside the UFC.

Reactions: Kb7
I think it's the opposite. It's win-win. Most of the time from what I remember, if you lose a when you take a short notice fight, the UFC gives you a pass and won't count it against you much. Typically, they kind of appreciate it and gives you a good winnable fight next, or a great step up fight. Think about it, if you run a business, an employee offers to come in when someone else is sick, even if they did a bad job, wouldn't you reward that employee a little because you want other employees to do the same next time you're in a bind? Or would you punish that short notice sub, and how do you think that motivates another employee to bail you out next time?

If the short notice fighter wins (we often hear about losers who fight a short notice guy giving excuses that they didn't train for the short notice guy's style), that's an additional paycheck and of course, a move up the rankings.

So, lose - usually minimal negative impact to ranking and an additional paycheck, win - quick move up in ranking and additional paycheck and win bonus.

Not if you lose badly. The other way around too.

Look at Tony Ferguson. He was training like a madman for takedowns and Khabib. Instead he got someone who has a completely opposite style in Justin Gaethje in the last minute. That ruined his career.

And usually the audience has no idea or does not care if someone took a fight on short notice. They just see that you got your ass whupped. It's only us MMA nerds that know someone fought on short notice. The casual fans have no idea.

Last edited:
It's one of the better ways you can fast track your career.

I do think UFC takes short notice into consideration if someone stepped up, fought his guts out and put on a show but loses. I think they’re giving that guy another chance. Whether it’s 2-1, or 0-3. That would be my optimistic assumption but I don’t have any examples to bring to the table.
I don't have an example either, but I do remember for a fact instances of a guy getting cut after losing a short notice fight, and not cuz they fought in some Jake Rosholt way either

We’ve all seen El Rosa Goofa very happy with guys that step in on short notice to “save” a card, but usually only the top ranked guys get the public shoutout when they do so.

So when you’re not in a top of the ranking position and you accept a short notice fight because person X needs an opponent after a pull-out for example… how much does the UFC brass actually love you? You’d probably make the same amount of money that’s in your contract, but will it give you different perks?

For example; there’s plenty of guys getting cut after 3 losses. What if you’re on 2 and you lose the 3rd fight (that you take on short notice)? Do you get like 1-2 extra credits?

I’m not that deeply initiated in the entire roster and history so I’m looking for evidence of these said perks. If there’s consistency there I’d think it could be pretty lucrative to just take a bunch of SN fights if you’re just looking for a paycheck in the UFC rather than a belt or top rank. Any examples?
To the winner goes the spoils! The loser will barely benefit outside of a payday

If you can do it it can be advantageous in the sense that it gets you through your current contract more quickly and the next contract will usually be higher. So someone like Kevin Holland was on $100k to show when people who debuted around the same time as him but didn't fight as often were on $25k. Worked out the same way for Angela Hill and Loopy Godinez.

Also seems to buy you a little bit of slack with losses as has happened with Montserrat Ruiz and Cody Brundage.

Obviously you have to be able to win at least some of them though.

Short notice fights are good for being put in positions you regularly would not(I.E: Title Shot).
I mocked the Belal situation for this. Some fighters act like taking a short notice opportunity entitles them to another opportunity. It's like, no man, that WAS the opportunity. He took the jump to fill in to fight the #3 guy, it was a no contest, and he starts going "I think I earned a big fight."

Granted, he got the matchup he wanted against Maia and won, and won every fight since, but if you're around the edge of the rankings and your next opponent is likely #9 at best, but you fill in for a top 5 fight and don't win, that doesn't make your next opponent around the top 5. You go back to where you got plucked from.

And on the flip side of that, I get kinda tired of people suggesting that after a guy beats a short notice fill in, that they get rebooked against the original opponent who didn't make it in the first place. If you were a fighter and you get booked, you're basically being told, "this is the challenge we've set in front of you based on what you've done." If they don't show up and you beat someone else and then get the same opponent, it would feel like your position hasn't changed at all, despite accepting an opponent you didn't even prepare for and beat them. You did more and got nothing for it. Frankly, that's insulting.

There's probably not a formal quid pro quo aside from extra cash, but I'm sure it puts you in the UFCs good graces, at least for awhile.

Everything is basically at Dana's whim though so there's no guarantees.

If you are in slight danger of being cut you probably aren't cutting the axe if you step in on a week's notice.

Could leapfrog you into the rankings (if your opponent is ranked and you win) it has happened multiple times before. Also puts money in their bank accounts quicker.

Sometimes it works out well and very rewarding and disappointing for others. My favorite.

Rockhold pre short notice

013_Luke_Rockhold.0.jpg

Rockhold/Bisping result after short notice

michael-bisping-luke-rockhold-ufc-199 copy.jpg

Rockhold post short notice (sad)

luke-rockhold-ufc-199-postfight copy.jpg

Bisping post shortnotice (happy)

55455146bb103256c81079b495aa97d6_crop_exact.jpg

Attachments

• luke-rockhold-ufc-199-postfight copy.jpg
    luke-rockhold-ufc-199-postfight copy.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The UFC has shown over and over if your loyal to them they are loyal to you. Dana loves guys that step up to fight, don't cause issues in public or behind the scenes, and in general just be a good soldier. Sam Alvey is a perfect example, they should've cut him 4 or 5 fights previously, easily. He went 4-10-1nc from 2017 to 2022. He lost 8 fights in a row and NC.

Reactions: Kb7
I think it's the opposite. It's win-win. Most of the time from what I remember, if you lose a when you take a short notice fight, the UFC gives you a pass and won't count it against you much. Typically, they kind of appreciate it and gives you a good winnable fight next, or a great step up fight. Think about it, if you run a business, an employee offers to come in when someone else is sick, even if they did a bad job, wouldn't you reward that employee a little because you want other employees to do the same next time you're in a bind? Or would you punish that short notice sub, and how do you think that motivates another employee to bail you out next time?

In most cases I agree with this that it is a win-win. Three fighters that benefitted from short notice fights are Angela Hill, Jorge Masvidal and Alexander Volkanovski. Angela Hill could have been cut by the UFC already especially during that streak when all she beat was Yoder but they keep her around because she might be the most active fighter in the top 15 in that division (can't remember off hand how active Loopy is). We all know how active Volk was and then there is Masvidal.

Part of the reason we had to look at Masvidal in two title fights was because the first one was short notice. A mid-tier fighter would generally never see a title shot based on the resume he had but because he took a short notice fight he got another title fight and two championship like paydays.

In most cases I agree with this that it is a win-win. Three fighters that benefitted from short notice fights are Angela Hill, Jorge Masvidal and Alexander Volkanovski. Angela Hill could have been cut by the UFC already especially during that streak when all she beat was Yoder but they keep her around because she might be the most active fighter in the top 15 in that division (can't remember off hand how active Loopy is). We all know how active Volk was and then there is Masvidal.

Part of the reason we had to look at Masvidal in two title fights was because the first one was short notice. A mid-tier fighter would generally never see a title shot based on the resume he had but because he took a short notice fight he got another title fight and two championship like paydays.
Great examples.

Pretty much anyone who is NOT a top contender close to a title shot, short notice fights are win-win. Only someone who is already close to a titleshot it would be a lose-lose. Even if you win, you still risk getting injured and you were already about to get a title shot.

Great examples.

Pretty much anyone who is NOT a top contender close to a title shot, short notice fights are win-win. Only someone who is already close to a titleshot it would be a lose-lose. Even if you win, you still risk getting injured and you were already about to get a title shot.

One more example that is often forgotten about in the history books and deservedly so is Joe Soto. The guy signed a deal with the UFC and his first fight in the UFC was a title fight against Dillashaw. Some may look at that as a lose-lose but that ended up being the biggest and highest profile fight of his career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blunttruth
Back