How rewarding are short notice fights actually?

Young Calf Kick

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
We’ve all seen El Rosa Goofa very happy with guys that step in on short notice to “save” a card, but usually only the top ranked guys get the public shoutout when they do so.

So when you’re not in a top of the ranking position and you accept a short notice fight because person X needs an opponent after a pull-out for example… how much does the UFC brass actually love you? You’d probably make the same amount of money that’s in your contract, but will it give you different perks?

For example; there’s plenty of guys getting cut after 3 losses. What if you’re on 2 and you lose the 3rd fight (that you take on short notice)? Do you get like 1-2 extra credits?

I’m not that deeply initiated in the entire roster and history so I’m looking for evidence of these said perks. If there’s consistency there I’d think it could be pretty lucrative to just take a bunch of SN fights if you’re just looking for a paycheck in the UFC rather than a belt or top rank. Any examples?

I can't speak too deeply cuz I don't know enough about the subject(good question tho), but for your example I'd imagine if a lower and mid level fighter was on a two fight skid and they rejected a short notice fight the UFC would consider cutting him. Or they'd just give him a very difficult matchup for his next fight on an Apex card.

I do think UFC takes short notice into consideration if someone stepped up, fought his guts out and put on a show but loses. I think they’re giving that guy another chance. Whether it’s 2-1, or 0-3. That would be my optimistic assumption but I don’t have any examples to bring to the table.

For new guys in the UFC it probably means taking an L (most likely) in exchange of an earlier UFC contract and some exposure, see Arman Tsarukyan, iirc brought on short notice to fight Islam, Lando Vannata, same deal against Tony Ferguson and actually got real close on pulling the upset, Moutinho became a sacrificial lamb for Omalley, that probably wasnt the smartest decision on his part, got some exposure, but continued to lose more fight(s) and got cut, this happens often with mixed results for the career of the guy taking the fight on short notice, often a division above their usual weight class.

When a big name gets a short notice call they most likely negotiate a good deal, Masvidal cashed in on that fighting on fight island card, Bisping surely made the most of it when he won the belt, my best guess is they negotiate their purse from the usual number they get, if they lose at least they got paid.

Last edited:
It depends on their situation. New guy trying to break into the UFC would probably take a short notice to get in. A big name will probably take a short notice but get extra money on the side. Someone like Belal can't even get a short notice. He has to be the backup fighter.

We’ve all seen El Rosa Goofa very happy with guys that step in on short notice to “save” a card, but usually only the top ranked guys get the public shoutout when they do so.

So when you’re not in a top of the ranking position and you accept a short notice fight because person X needs an opponent after a pull-out for example… how much does the UFC brass actually love you? You’d probably make the same amount of money that’s in your contract, but will it give you different perks?

For example; there’s plenty of guys getting cut after 3 losses. What if you’re on 2 and you lose the 3rd fight (that you take on short notice)? Do you get like 1-2 extra credits?

I’m not that deeply initiated in the entire roster and history so I’m looking for evidence of these said perks. If there’s consistency there I’d think it could be pretty lucrative to just take a bunch of SN fights if you’re just looking for a paycheck in the UFC rather than a belt or top rank. Any examples?

It's like anything else in this company sir, it benefits the guys they choose it to benefit...no more no less.

I think the fighter on a two fight losing streak will get another shot if he loses the short-notice fight but gives a good effort. The managers probably push for it before accepting.

The UFC is a gigantic company or organization, but it's still people making decisions. People like favors and don't like problems. I think they're as likely to keep the fighter who stepped up as they are to cut the fighter who missed weight, assuming it works with their logistics for the division.

Some guys get their shot in the UFC due to short notice. Patrick Cote made his UFC debut taking on Tito Ortiz at LHW (Cote was a MW at the time) and impressed in losing a decision. He even dropped Tito briefly

IDK TBH, but, I would say the primary perk is that the poor fighter gets paid so they just want the money, but, being on Dana's good side too may be an added perk if you trust what he promises you for doing that like..extra fights if you lose it won't be held against you.

You don't get anything extra for taking short notice fights. It's a lose lose.
Erceg took a short notice fight to fight schnell and he's fighting for the belt this weekend.

I remember dana not liking kevin holland and not wanting to give him a chance but he took a short notice fight for him and they gave him a chance in the ufc. Royval same thing. sometimes it's how you get your foot in the door.

being on Dana's good side too may be an added perk if you trust what he promises you for doing that like..extra fights if you lose it won't be held against you.

Exactly, I expect good thing to come Volks way for taking that islam fight on short notice. They will give him a title shot if he wants it.

You'll get a variety of answers depending on the fighter. Those who stay in shape year round will stand to be in prime position to take of advantage such opportunities.
Then you have the unprofessional ones who balloon up outside of training camp. These guys are definitely missing weight so they likely don't even bother.
In general, I would say as long as they are healthy and able to make weight, an extra paycheck couldn't hurt. There's also the chance that Dana will sandbag any given person if they get on his bad side.

Back