How quickly would the UFC fall apart if Dana suddenly retired?

Seahawks Fan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Look, like most of you I'm not a Dana White fan. He does lie a lot and mistreats many fighters with his ruthless tactics.

But G-d damn does this man know how to run his business!

Every week it seems there's a handful of injuries that threaten to destroy a card, but here comes Dana to plug the holes and keep the ship afloat.

This man has been doing this shit for 22 years and seems like he's doing it better than ever.

Every year I hear people say "UFC dead". But nope, end of year roles around and UFC reveals that it just had a record year for profits.

You can hate Dana but you also have to admit he's a fuckin beast when it comes to running the UFC business.

I don't think people understand just how unique of a job Dana has and how hard it is to pull this off. Yeah it's a "business" and he's the CEO and president, but his employees are batshit crazy individuals who chose to get punched in the head for a living. Go manage a McDonald's for a few weeks and allow yourself to stew in the chaos, now try to imagine that instead of a 15 year old girl with pimples who pops Xanax you have to try to manage the likes of Tony Ferguson, Conor McGregor, Jon Jones, and every other sociopath that has ever fought under the UFC banner. That's why I doubt Hunter can truly replace Dana. Hunter went to business school which is useless in a business like this. Dana got a perfect education for this business on the streets of Boston.

Remember, none of this was ever supposed to work. When Dana and co. took over the helm in 2001 the UFC was banned in almost every state, the US gov wanted to ban it, and even PPV was considering cutting ties. Dana took an absolute shit hole situation and turned it into a multi billion dollar business, with only a high school diploma to his name. I hate the guy but I absolutely respect the fuck out of him. He was set up to fail basically from birth, but he just keeps winning and there's no sign it will end any time soon.
eddie-hearn-and-dana-white-64afdedf54918.jpg

Last edited:
No multi billion dollar business is dependent on one man - UFC is no exception.

Dana White would be missed nad not forgotten - but the UFC machine wouldn't slow down for one second.
Spot on, Sherbro. Sorely missed, but the UFC would not miss a beat.

I'm sure there is an army of MBAs and management professionals just behind him that run it day to day. He takes the final call.

Dana White is the driving force behind the UFC, UFC will go on but MMA as a whole will fade to an even more of a very niche sport.

Look, like most of you I'm not a Dana White fan. He does lie a lot and mistreats many fighters with his ruthless tactics.

Every week it seems there's a handful of injuries that threaten to destroy a card, but here comes Dana to plug the holes and keep the ship afloat.

This man has been doing this shit for 22 years and seems like he's doing it better than ever.

Every year I hear people say "UFC dead". But nope, end of year roles around and UFC reveals that it just had a record year for profits.

You can hate Dana but you also have to admit he's a fuckin beast when it comes to running the UFC business.

I don't think people understand just how unique of a job Dana has and how hard it is to pull this off. Yeah it's a "business" and he's the CEO and president, but his employees are batshit crazy individuals who chose to get punched in the head for a living. Go manage a McDonald's for a few weeks and allow yourself to stew in the chaos, now try to imagine that instead of a 15 year old girl with pimples who pops Xanax you have to try to manage the likes of Tony Ferguson, Conor McGregor, Jon Jones, and every other sociopath that has ever fought under the UFC banner. That's why I doubt Hunter can truly replace Dana. Hunter went to business school which is useless in a business like this. Dana got a perfect education for this business on the streets of Boston.

Remember, none of this was ever supposed to work. When Dana and co. took over the helm in 2001 the UFC was banned in almost every state, the US gov wanted to ban it, and even PPV was considering cutting ties. Dana took an absolute shit hole situation and turned it into a multi billion dollar business, with only a high school diploma to his name. I hate the guy but I absolutely respect the fuck out of him. He was set up to fail basically from birth, but he just keeps winning and there's no sign it will end any time soon.
One would simply replace him with another bald goof...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Dana is truly one of a kind. We seen Pride, bellator, hbo and showtime boxing all fold, while the mma orgs like one and pfl hemorrhage money.
UFC is the only one who has a healthy business model, and will surely tremble when Dana calls it quits.
Lots of people said their success was mostly because of the Fertittas, but they left and Dana grew the UFC even bigger. Facts.

Dana doesn't run the UFC bud

He's one small part of a giant machine.

He's the front man to a massive array of executives who collectively make decisions.

But in terms of business and promotion, Dana is pretty underrated.

Frankly, I doubt he retires. He'll be doing this until he's Arum age.

Dude loves this shit. He loves the fight game. If he retires, what does he even do?

Not really.

He has a bottomless pile of cash with which to tempt "PRIZE" fighters to step up on short notice.

It's not that hard.

Take Volk/Usman last weekend as an example

No multi billion dollar business is dependent on one man - UFC is no exception.

Dana White would be missed nad not forgotten - but the UFC machine wouldn't slow down for one second.

This. UFC is a machine that has now outgrown him. It was utterly laughable during the wife slapping incident when he said he’s not going on suspension as it would harm the fighters with him not being there.

Back