How popular was Deadpool before this movie?

He's only recently been pushed by marvel, he really got popular by word of mouth and guest starring with other established characters.

For a while he was teamed up with Cable (basically the mutant messiah) in their own comic book and that's when I believe things really started taking off for him. Everything with mutants is super serious, and his comic relief really stole the show.

Lol just checked, and it's 1991. Dunno who i was thinking of.
You're probably remembering his first solo book, which launched around 2000. That was the beginning of him going from a niche character to a more high profile character. As mentioned his run with Cable later on really solidified his popularity, but that first solo run is really where the 4th wall breaking and wacky humor got started.

to answer the thread, prior to the movie I would place him on Marvel's second rung. Not quite as popular as Hulk, Cap, Spider-man, Wolverine, but at the very next level.

Heard it was 1993 on watchmojo earlier today, hence why they used salt n pepa in the movie.
iirc 93 was the Circle chase miniseries, which was his first time starring in anything. I think he had shown up prior as a Cable adversary, could be wrong though it's all so long ago now.

Guardians of the Galaxy was more under the radar to me than Deadpool. Same with Electra, Men in Black, Jonah Hex, and Constatine.

Yes. Awesome flick.
Yeah it was very good. Long time fans of the character should enjoy it, as well as people completely unfamiliar with him. He's a wisecracking antihero mentally disturbed ninja with healing powers. There's a lot to like.

As a fan of the character since the early 90's I was very pleased with how it turned out.

Yeah it was very good. Long time fans of the character should enjoy it, as well as people completely unfamiliar with him. He's a wisecracking antihero mentally disturbed ninja with healing powers. There's a lot to like.

As a fan of the character since the early 90's I was very pleased with how it turned out.
No joke. I didn't expect it to be terrible, but I didn't think it would end up being as good as it is.

It was really like watching an issue of the comic on a screen. I was impressed. Looking forward to a franchise.

Also, it is awesome having kept up with with the process of this film for the last 10years or more, and being paid off with not only the actor who had lobbied so hard to play the character getting the role (and also a man who everyone basically agreed was perfect for the role), but an excellent film as well.

The success of Deadpool in the mainstream right now reminds me of Iron Man's back in 08 when the movie came out. Nobody on the playground was running around saying "I'm Iron Man." It took a movie like Iron Man with a guy like RDJ to bring the character to life. Reynolds is doing it with Deadpool.

Hey Hyperglide, doesn't Deadpool have the ability to kind of nightcrawler his way around? I remember playing a video game with him and he was able to disappear and reappear with ease. Am I wrong about this? I'll be the first to admit I have little to no knowledge on Deadpool.

No joke. I didn't expect it to be terrible, but I didn't think it would end up being as good as it is.

It was really like watching an issue of the comic on a screen. I was impressed. Looking forward to a franchise.

Also, it is awesome having kept up with with the process of this film for the last 10years or more, and being paid off with not only the actor who had lobbied so hard to play the character getting the role (and also a man who everyone basically agreed was perfect for the role), but an excellent film as well.

I loved that they poked fun at that, with jokes about Reynolds playing Green lantern and the original Deadpool. It wasn't perfect, but I have to say it's probably the closest I've seen them get a movie version of a superhero to the comics version. It was a pleasant surprise.

Absolutely loved the X-men characters showing up , it really gave it a comic book feel and was a great idea. Including a crossover in the middle of an origin really stopped it from being tedious like a lot of origin stories are

Hey Hyperglide, doesn't Deadpool have the ability to kind of nightcrawler his way around? I remember playing a video game with him and he was able to disappear and reappear with ease. Am I wrong about this? I'll be the first to admit I have little to no knowledge on Deadpool.
No he can't teleport. He just has the fighting skills and the healing ability. He may have had some tech that let him teleport at one point though. I remember he had a hologram device to hide his freakish face for awhile.

No he can't teleport. He just has the fighting skills and the healing ability. He may have had some tech that let him teleport at one point though. I remember he had a hologram device to hide his freakish face for awhile.
Ah, I see. I figured there would be more of an uproar if I were right. I remember playing one of the Ultimate Alliance games and while everyone else ran around, he would *poof* his way around. Thanks homie.

Ah, I see. I figured there would be more of an uproar if I were right. I remember playing one of the Ultimate Alliance games and while everyone else ran around, he would *poof* his way around. Thanks homie.
Yeah np, they probably just gave him another power to make him more fun. Happens a lot in games.

Been a fan of the Great Lakes Avengers for a minute. Just hoping Squirrel Girl gets her spot in a sequel.

F613BP4.png

i only figured out deadpool after x-men origins and he was in that for a bit.

after that, i kept reading about him and liking him more.

always thought he was a corny try-hard ripoff of DC's Lobo.

In the comic world he is probably as popular as Ghost Rider, Punisher and Venom were in the 90s.

I will even say he is more popular than Thor in the comics but not as iconic, I still feel like there is a risk his popularity will fade same way as Ghost Riders while Thor will stay.

iirc 93 was the Circle chase miniseries, which was his first time starring in anything. I think he had shown up prior as a Cable adversary, could be wrong though it's all so long ago now.

Both were co created by Rob Liefield in new Mutants (later renamed X-force) before he jumpoed to Image comics.

always thought he was a corny try-hard ripoff of DC's Lobo.

Originally he was Deathstroke mixed with Spider-mans verbal taunts

New_Mutants_Vol_1_98_001.jpg

Back