How popular was Deadpool before this movie?

mommas homeboy

Women with dicks are women too!
Reaction score
Based on the success of the movie, I'd think he were Batman, Superman, or Spider-Man.

Did most people know who the character was before this movie?

Am I the only one who hadn't really heard of him?

In the marvel world, assuming people feel Spidey, Iron Man, Thor, HULK as the prime billing characters, i would say he is on par with Punisher and Daredevil; popular antihero.

The success is because it was market well, and the movie was a welcomed change of pace from other comic movies (which all do pretty well)

Also, the movie nailed its objective 100% - it made people laugh and entertained.

Not a household name, but comics fans know the character.

To Marvel comics fans? Extremely popular. More popular than Punisher or Daredevil due to ties to the X-Men and other Mutants.

Also, think about this. We've seen Ryan Reynolds play a wisecracking hero 3 times prior in Blade, Wolverine, and Green Lantern. And each time he was panned for it. Why? With Blade and GL it didn't fit the character. And with Wolverine, it was just a very.....very bad version of Deadpool. This movie finally nails the "Merc with a Mouth".

Had a few of his trading cards as a kid, the red/black color scheme ninja suit is pretty sweet. Can't get excited for his own feature film though. I prefer Gambit and Juggernaut. Those two having movies based around em might catch my attention more than DEADPOOL.

In the marvel world, assuming people feel Spidey, Iron Man, Thor, HULK as the prime billing characters, i would say he is on par with Punisher and Daredevil; popular antihero.

The success is because it was market well, and the movie was a welcomed change of pace from other comic movies (which all do pretty well)

Also, the movie nailed its objective 100% - it made people laugh and entertained.

I don't live in North America, was there a huge marketing push for the movie....as far as cable and regular TV commercials?

To Marvel comics fans? Extremely popular. More popular than Punisher or Daredevil due to ties to the X-Men and other Mutants.

Also, think about this. We've seen Ryan Reynolds play a wisecracking hero 3 times prior in Blade, Wolverine, and Green Lantern. And each time he was panned for it. Why? With Blade and GL it didn't fit the character. And with Wolverine, it was just a very.....very bad version of Deadpool. This movie finally nails the "Merc with a Mouth".

I'm glad....R. Reynolds is a good actor and he deserves more appreciation than he's gotten.

Friday was the first time I'd heard of it/him.

Had a few of his trading cards as a kid, the red/black color scheme ninja suit is pretty sweet. Can't get excited for his own feature film though. I prefer Gambit and Juggernaut. Those two having movies based around em might catch my attention more than DEADPOOL.

I've never even heard of Gambit or Juggernaut, so I guess I'm completely out of the loop.

I knew of him before because of all the nerds I've known/know lol. I always thought he was a popular, well known character tbh.

Based on the success of the movie, I'd think he were Batman, Superman, or Spider-Man.

No one heard of Guardians Of The Galaxy either and that movie made all the money so I dont think being previously known has anything to do with success

I liked Gambit for a brief amount of time, the 80s cartoon anyways.
But then there were some creepy guy moments and I was like nahhh, I can't be having this :hmph

from my experience he was mildly to pretty popular ...nowhere near any of the people you mentioned

I think he was a character that came a little before his time....he has grown more popular as the north american attitudes have changed

I wasnt really a fan of the character when he was first brought out ((and i was a kid)) still not really a fan...but I am looking forward to the movie..

Guardians of the Galaxy showed me that even not being a fan of the comic...I can still really enjoy the movie

I liked Gambit for a brief amount of time, the 80s cartoon anyways.
But then there were some creepy guy moments and I was like nahhh, I can't be having this :hmph
could you elaborate on the creepy guy moments? lol

So is the film any good?

Deadpool was pretty popular, and it's quite impressive how popular he is considering he has only been around since 2000 or so. Most newer comicbook superheroes have trouble catching on, but for some reason people took to him. Plus, he wasn't even a serious character and wasn't even intended to stick around. Even the writers admitted as such.

i still dont have any idea what he is, and i used to read comics as a kid

Deadpool was pretty popular, and it's quite impressive how popular he is considering he has only been around since 2000 or so. Most newer comicbook superheroes have trouble catching on, but for some reason people took to him. Plus, he wasn't even a serious character and wasn't even intended to stick around. Even the writers admitted as such.
1993 dude. He's been around a while.

Back