How often do you guys lift weights?

I manage to hit the gym twice a week usually. Usually once during the week and once on the weekend.

When I'm there, I concentrate on compound movements and olympic related lifts (power variations, pulls, etc). I try to work in the 3-8 rep range depending on what I am doing. I'm certainly not an expert but I've made my own program from various things I've learned on the internet and common sense. It seems to work well for me and its an enjoyable workout.

I lift weights 3 days a week, usually in the morning. Remember Me, do you do Matt Furey's stuff?

I lift a lot, right now i am still trying to mass up a bit so more often then i normaly might. On average i would say atleast 3 times a week, for around a hour and a half. I feel it is very important so i make sure that i make time for lifting.

faxon said:
NO!! You cannot "define" muscles using weights. The only way to get ripped is to cut fat, meaning running etc. 5 reps is perfect for muscle gain though.

for good info on weight training check out www.johnberardi.com

You burn fat while lifting weights, If you eat right and lift u can get ripped without running. Lifting weights burns more fat then running anyways. Because the next 24-48 hours your bodys metabolism is higher after a heavy lifting session. But having a good cardio system is a good thing to have because other then just being able to run for a long time or roll for a long time it comes with many great health benifits.

if I have weights available to lift, sure, but
in the gym, I lift my own routines which are
very unorthodox, simillar to kettlebell type
so I get weird looks,
I'd rather not lift weights in general.

You're supposed to work each major muscle group at least twice a week. The Best way to lift is 4 sets of 8 reps and do that in alternating sets. Meaning you do one set of one exercise, rest for a minute then do a different exercise. Rest for a minute then switch back to the other exercise. When you finish those two exercises switch to the next two. This is what I do mon, weds, friday and it works great. I got it from a Men's Fitness magazine.

Set for Ross said:
You're supposed to work each major muscle group at least twice a week. The Best way to lift is 4 sets of 8 reps and do that in alternating sets. Meaning you do one set of one exercise, rest for a minute then do a different exercise. Rest for a minute then switch back to the other exercise. When you finish those two exercises switch to the next two. This is what I do mon, weds, friday and it works great. I got it from a Men's Fitness magazine.

Depending on you goal, you could be setting yourself up for major over training. If you go all out every session you will be over trained in a month or two.

Set for Ross said:
I got it from a Men's Fitness magazine.
Well there's your problem, if i were you I'd stop taking advice from people who are more interested in their six-pack than their punching power.

phenomfan1529 said:
I posted this thread in this forum because I wanted to know how often you guys (strikers) lift weights. I have a real busy schedule with school, work, boxing, & bjj that its rare for me to find the time to lift weights. I usually get to lift once a week, sometimes twice.

So my questions are, how often do you guys lift? and is lifting once a week good enough? sorry if this thread has already been done, didnt use the search function.

thanks

i posted a similar thread a few weeks ago cause i was gonna need to cut back on lifting cause i was too tired since i was getting ready for a fight and now i only lift once a week and i think i look more ripped now than b4. u gotta remember that grappling and striking also work those muscles.

sometimes i lift heavy 4 days a week. sometimes i just do clap pushups, burpees, sit-ups and vertical jumps to get my muscle endurance and (if it exists) explosive power up

i can manage full body 4 times a week.
1 day for recovery
and the other days i do tabbata endurance and stability training

But i also seam to be a bit of a freak when it comes to recovery, also could be the amount of food i eat :D

i train muay thai fouur times a week and we do lots of pressups andm free squats and core work so i only do weights one day a week on my off days. don't do anything for chest and legs due to amount of work they already get. just train back shoulders biceps and traps and a bit of grip work. would overtrain if i did anymore i think

twice a week, wed and fri

Upper wed, squats and deads alternating weekly on friday.

I used to do mon, thur, sat and sunday, running twice a week and MT 2 hour session mon-thur and sparring sun. I did it for 4 months because I didn't work until the dreaded burnout hit me (when I was coincidentally 3 weeks into working)

Mon Wed Fri and sometimes Sat MT/BJJ, Tues Thurs Sun weights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back