How often do you guys lift weights?

phenomfan1529

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I posted this thread in this forum because I wanted to know how often you guys (strikers) lift weights. I have a real busy schedule with school, work, boxing, & bjj that its rare for me to find the time to lift weights. I usually get to lift once a week, sometimes twice.

So my questions are, how often do you guys lift? and is lifting once a week good enough? sorry if this thread has already been done, didnt use the search function.

thanks

My schedule is also busy with TJJ, BJJ and MT. I manage to get to the gym 3 times a week. Best bet it to do a minimum of 3 times a week, but only 35-45 minutes of intense training. If you work hard you can get out quickly and still get a very valuable workout. Once a week isn't going to give you much improvement.

But saying that, there's a lot of Boxers/Fighters who don't do any weight, so you don't have to!

I lift three times a week, one hour for each session focusing on one of the three powerlifting movements with assisstance work for that lift, ab and grip work.

I lift 3 times a week for half an hour. I don't do any leg stuff, since I run sprints and do cardio to kill my legs. I used to do more, but now I am focusing on my skills and doing more bag work.

I never lift. I'm 5'9" and 145 pounds and comfortable where I am.

4 days a week...Thur-Mon in the morning so it wont interfer with my BJJ or MT

i try going the gym 3 times a week Mon-Tue and Thurs.. MT on wed..
With the long hours i do at work i find i can only manage 45-1 hour hard session before i wilt!
i tend to do certain body parts i feel let me down in MT as well as trying to build the others...
But i find if i train hard days before MT it can affect that, and i dont get a good training session..

some times its hard to do both 150% ..

do u lot lift heavy to build size or lighter to gain slight size but more strength!?

MTMark said:
i try going the gym 3 times a week Mon-Tue and Thurs.. MT on wed..
With the long hours i do at work i find i can only manage 45-1 hour hard session before i wilt!
i tend to do certain body parts i feel let me down in MT as well as trying to build the others...
But i find if i train hard days before MT it can affect that, and i dont get a good training session..

some times its hard to do both 150% ..

do u lot lift heavy to build size or lighter to gain slight size but more strength!?

I lift heavy cause I do so much cardio gotta keep my size up

I do BJJ and CSW 2 times a week and Muay Thai/JKD 3 times a week & Tuesday Thursday and saturday (off days) I lift weights. And do gain size/muscle you should do around 80% of your max 3-5 reps around 7-10 sets. and also To get strength and power lift around 10-15 Reps about 3-5 Sets. Also Lifting once a week is ok, if your doing other things, but to notice a big or bigger differince should try to get around 3 full body workouts a week.

I lift 4 times a week doing exercises like power cleans, power snatches, squats, front squats, Incline Presses, Weighted Pullups, etc. If you are gonna lift once a week try to do an exercise like squats or power cleans that will work many muscles.....focusing on tricep extensions or bicep curls wouldnt be ideal since they are isolation exercises.

My workouts never last longer than 1.5 hours so I usually have time to fit them in my schedule. Then again Im only doing muay thai training once a week at the moment.

i lift about 2x a week full body... but i wouldnt say a fighter needs weights. sprints and bodyweight stuff and bagwork can suffice. but weights have their merit.

Once a week is fine, you can get strength also from bag and pad work. I lift two to three times a week and I do incline bench press and dumbbell exercises for upper body strength, which helps my clinch work. And leg extensions/curls to strengthen up my blocks and roundhouses. But generally I use the bag and pads for strength and explosive power.

MTMark said:

Ringmaster316 said:
And do gain size/muscle you should do around 80% of your max 3-5 reps around 7-10 sets. and also To get strength and power lift around 10-15 Reps about 3-5 Sets. Also Lifting once a week is ok, if your doing other things, but to notice a big or bigger differince should try to get around 3 full body workouts a week.

POWER training = 5 or less reps

STRENGTH = 5-8

Muscle Definition = 8-20

These or on a sliding scale so it depends just what you are doing, but I wanted to make it clear that to gain mass you DO NOT do less reps, you do high reps. For power, do HEAVY ass weights at low reps.

tokian said:

STRENGTH = 5-8

Muscle Definition = 8-20

These or on a sliding scale so it depends just what you are doing, but I wanted to make it clear that to gain mass you DO NOT do less reps, you do high reps. For power, do HEAVY ass weights at low reps.

Ya I did say it wrong didnt I. Thanks.

I lift every 2nd day to increase my arm strength and the days im not lifting I work on my technique and speed. I have found this is an amazing way to increase speed and technique. Try holding light dumbells in your hand as you strike the speed bag and you will see your speed increase greatly. Also wrist weights work extremely well for lifting and bag work.

Never, I just do push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, tricep dips, and some leg work (hindu squats and wall-sits)

tokian said:

STRENGTH = 5-8

Muscle Definition = 8-20

NO!! You cannot "define" muscles using weights. The only way to get ripped is to cut fat, meaning running etc. 5 reps is perfect for muscle gain though.

for good info on weight training check out www.johnberardi.com

Back