How much does building a home gym cost?

Lucas Motta

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I'm thinking some dumbbells, squat rack, bench press, a few kettle bells. How much would that set me back?

I'm thinking some dumbbells, squat rack, bench press, a few kettle bells. How much would that set me back?
Not sure where you live I guess that would make a big difference I would look for used equipment on selling sites and be patient. That way you can save some money but it’s more difficult with lockdown etc but as things open up people could be selling hastily purchased equipment they haven’t used

Everything you said can be gotten cheap except for the squat rack which can set u back like 700 on the low end

The rest of the stuff can be gotten cheap but will cost significantly more if you want the sort of stuff used in gyms

If you got the room look for a 2nd hand power cage locally assuming you have car to transport it they normally come apart if you get a good quality large one u can use it for lots of things like a rack for all ur lifts plus

- hang a pully on it for cable work
- pull ups
- hang a bag from it etc etc

then you just need an adjustable bench again should be able to get a 2nd hand one and some weights

If you get the selectable DBs, a sport store rack with bench and just a couple kettlebells; you're gonna be at $1000.

Sign up at every equipment site you can find and get on email list. They will blow up your inbox with sales (usually on holidays) Ebay and facebook market can get some good prices. It's not cheap, but the hours and crowd can't be beat at home.

I spent right at $5,000 but had to reroof the shed, insulate it, concrete floor install, new door and window, and paint.

I’ve got a rogue folding rack, couple rogue bars, bout 750lbs of plates, and soloflex adjustable dumbbells. The dumbbells are a pita and I would not recommend them.

Also got a really nice speed bag and platform and a small double end bag.

That $5000 is everything. Little stuff like horse stall mats, collars, weight plate storage, bar holder, 5x8 mirror for one wall, and white board add up.

I spent right at $5,000 but had to reroof the shed, insulate it, concrete floor install, new door and window, and paint.

I’ve got a rogue folding rack, couple rogue bars, bout 750lbs of plates, and soloflex adjustable dumbbells. The dumbbells are a pita and I would not recommend them.

Also got a really nice speed bag and platform and a small double end bag.

That $5000 is everything. Little stuff like horse stall mats, collars, weight plate storage, bar holder, 5x8 mirror for one wall, and white board add up.
I’m in the process of converting a 2 car garage into a boxing gym. I already have 2 heavy bags, a speed bag and a double end bag. I also have an adjustable bench and dumbbells from 20#-50# in 5# increments. I’m wanting it all in one place. My initial cost estimates for shock pad matts, mirrors, polishing the concrete, adding an aqua bag and installing a vent fan is $4400. My dilemma is my wife. We park my truck and her car in the driveway. My wife is not a hoarder but she has emotional attachments to physical objects that represent snapshots in time. Example: my 21 year old son’s baby crib, board games from her childhood, etc. I want to throw that shit away......but I’d never say that out loud to her. To be fair, she despises violence and is still mad at me for my son beginning boxing when he was 9. He’s now 21 and has to cut weight to make 165. When we go to his fights she reads a novel while he’s fighting. So I have to be respectful of her shit. My son’s current college roommates are big muscle heads who lift weights, chase tail, drink beer and go to class. He was like that too until he began this fight camp. So he wants to move home till the end of summer term. He said he’d help me. There is a lot of shit out there. Did I tell you my wife likes her shit?

I’m in the process of converting a 2 car garage into a boxing gym. I already have 2 heavy bags, a speed bag and a double end bag. I also have an adjustable bench and dumbbells from 20#-50# in 5# increments. I’m wanting it all in one place. My initial cost estimates for shock pad matts, mirrors, polishing the concrete, adding an aqua bag and installing a vent fan is $4400. My dilemma is my wife. We park my truck and her car in the driveway. My wife is not a hoarder but she has emotional attachments to physical objects that represent snapshots in time. Example: my 21 year old son’s baby crib, board games from her childhood, etc. I want to throw that shit away......but I’d never say that out loud to her. To be fair, she despises violence and is still mad at me for my son beginning boxing when he was 9. He’s now 21 and has to cut weight to make 165. When we go to his fights she reads a novel while he’s fighting. So I have to be respectful of her shit. My son’s current college roommates are big muscle heads who lift weights, chase tail, drink beer and go to class. He was like that too until he began this fight camp. So he wants to move home till the end of summer term. He said he’d help me. There is a lot of shit out there. Did I tell you my wife likes her shit?

It sounds like she’s a hoarder in the making lol. That’s how my mom started and her house is now FULL of momentos. Any little connection to a fond memory is enough to hang onto an item. Some of the stuff is sitting in the same place as 10-15 years ago.

It sounds like she’s a hoarder in the making lol. That’s how my mom started and her house is now FULL of momentos. Any little connection to a fond memory is enough to hang onto an item. Some of the stuff is sitting in the same place as 10-15 years ago.
LOL. It’s just the garage man. Otherwise she is a meticulous housekeeper. She’s one of those that if you put a 1/2 full drink down she pours it out and washes the glass. She initially said she didn’t want me to convert the garage. Really against it. Said she may want to park in there if we have a hail storm. Here’s how I solved this. She is a doting mother and since my son moved out to go to Texas A&M (we live in the same town but he wanted to live in his own place) she relishes any chance she has to spoil him. If he asks for something, which is rare, it is done. Regardless of cost, she will find a way a get it for him. He doesn’t take advantage of that too often. Well, he told her he would train at home more if we convert the garage to a boxing gym. Done, my friend. Just like that. I had to sneak a look at my son and share a smile. I came up with a ballpark figure on the cost. Had my contractor neighbor come over and for 9 beers and some BBQ’d pork ribs he gave me an estimate on polishing the concrete and putting some cabinets in for me. When I told her she didn’t flinch. See, the key to getting all the gloves, headgear, shoes, foul protector, mitts, bags, and all the other things I get, is to have my son say he needs it. Works like a charm. My wife is a very smart woman so I suspect she knows we are working her.

How long is a piece of string?

You can do it on the cheap and take your time, look for deals or you can just pick any old site and order the latest and greatest

Building a home gym is the best money I ever spent. The thought of going back to a gym and dealing with all the bs seems insane. I paid $800 for this.
51pM-RvoAnL._AC_SX425_.jpg

While I wouldn't recommend it as there are much better ones for the money it has held up for 10 years with almost daily use. I have a few other pieces of equipment too but I mostly got them from my cousin who had to downgrade when he lost his house.

I would start with a simple bench and dumbbells and work from there. A few hundred should get you started.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back