How much do you curl?

quantiqus

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
With barbell or dumbells... how many repetitions
Also, the bodyweight

Just curious about some measurements...

50-70lb dumbbells, usually. I keep my curls pretty strict, so it just depends on how many reps I’m aiming for.

245ishlbs here. I dislike curls and do them like once a month, but when I do do them:
88lbs barbell for the 10-15 range
132lbs barbell for the 3-8 range
52lbs kettlebells for whatever I'm able on the day

imo, chins and weighted chins all the way.

sometimes i do curl & press with two 35lbs kettlebells for 10 to 12 reps. i love the curl & press. great movement.

sometimes i do curl & press with two 35lbs kettlebells for 10 to 12 reps. i love the curl & press. great movement.
What happens when you fatigue on the curl first? I mean do you ever actually hit failure on the press?

My goal in life is to be able to curl 135x12 for a first working set. Will it ever happen who knows?

What happens when you fatigue on the curl first? I mean do you ever actually hit failure on the press?

depends on what i did prior, dips or pullups. i also do some mild cheat curls at the end of the set. since i am a shitty overhead presser and not strong in general, my press normally fails first.

Do people in this forum do curls? Why not just row, pull-up, etc.?

That said, I'd wager my curl is pretty weak. Using strict form, probably 135 1rm. If I'm allowed to turn into an Oly lift, i.e. cheat curl, probably 185.

Do people in this forum do curls? Why not just row, pull-up, etc.?

That said, I'd wager my curl is pretty weak. Using strict form, probably 135 1rm. If I'm allowed to turn into an Oly lift, i.e. cheat curl, probably 185.

because i enjoy my non-functional useless muscle contractions

because i enjoy my non-functional useless muscle contractions
Biceps arent useless. They just can be adequately stressed doing movements that are much more beneficial for full-body strength, athletic performance, aesthetics, etc, than curls.

Biceps arent useless. They just can be adequately stressed doing movements that are much more beneficial for full-body strength, athletic performance, aesthetics, etc, than curls.
Barbell curls are a great bicep mass builder.

30-35 lb for sets of x8 only to keep my biceps conditioned for mixed grip deadlifts.

Barbell curls are a great bicep mass builder.
Yeah, they're ok for that. They just don't also build lats, rhomboids, traps, core, etc and improve athletic performance the way rows and pull-ups do.

Probably not. Training curls isn’t a bad thing though. I mean I just watched the strongest lifter in the world who should know a thing or two throwing in a few sets of barbell curls. Lots of guys I look up to who are amazing lifters train curls.

Yeah, they're ok for that. They just don't also build lats, rhomboids, traps, core, etc and improve athletic performance the way rows and pull-ups do.
You remind me of the people that infested these forums back in the day.

Bicep curls have their place even for athletic performance.

You remind me of the people that infested these forums back in the day.

Bicep curls have their place even for athletic performance.
Perhaps, depending on the context. For most athletes, though, whatever time/energy they spend doing the would probably be better doing something else. To each his own, though.

Perhaps, depending on the context. For most athletes, though, whatever time/energy they spend doing the would probably be better doing something else. To each his own, though.
This is strength and conditioning.
For building your biceps
curls >everything else.

You realize people might do curls or variations thereof for reasons other than strength/looks, right?

Your posting like a guy stuck on Rippetoe’s forum in 2010.

It’s okay to do curls, man.

Back