How Many Reps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shielja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
im wondering how many reps i should be doing for strength training.
im currently doing sets like: 20x to 12x to 8x to 6x getting the weight heavier each time. Is this more of a bodybuilding routine rather than something that could benefit my overall strength??? does anyone have any advice or links that could help me???

I reccomend reading the FAQ stickied at the top of this forum and googling Prileprin's table. The number of reps you are doing is more bodybuilding style. Hope that helps.

This isn't a frequently asked question, but I'm sure reading the FAQ will help you alot.

To answer your question, sets of 5 or fewer is strength training, and sets of 8-12 or higher is hypertrophy training or endurance training. Usually you do compound movements for lower reps and isolation work for higher rep ranges. It's retarded to do 5x5 of curls is what I'm saying.

cool thanks for the help guys guess ill just have to plan out what the best option is for each excercise i do

See the chart below. If you have a basic question like this then you will probably benefit from reading the FAQ even if this question isn't specifically answered.

repetitioncontinuum.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back