How many of GSP's title defense victims would Usman beat?

And Usman doesn’t exist without GSP.

If you flip the timelines, GSP beats everyone Usman has..

I like Usman too.

1. Jon Fitch
2. BJ Penn
3. Thiago Alves
4. Dan Hardy
5. Josh Koscheck
6. Jake Shields
7. Carlos Condit
8. Nick Diaz
9. Johny Hendricks

I think he beats Diaz, Condit, Hardy, Alves, Penn but loses to Fitch, Hendricks, Shields, Koscheck.

So 5/9

He beats them all and stops more than GSP

People always saying the sport has evolved but unable to say how. What do you see now that we didn't back then?

If you actually know what you are watching you can clearly see the sport, in general, evolving from the early 90s to the early 2000s then start to plateau in the late 2000s.

Breaking it down by weight class since early 2010s:
HW - Devolved
LHW - Peaked with Jones, DC, Rumble, Gus, Davis
MW - Evolved
WW - Same
LW - Same but the talent is deeper now.
FW - Evolved
BW - Evolved
FlW - Peaked with Mighty Mouse.

How did MW evolved from early '10s when Jacare, TRT Belfort, Weidman, Rockhold, Machida or Romero were all in their prime? Now you have Vettori fighting for the tittle.

Burns has average standup. He likely wouldn’t beat most of the guys GSP beat comfortably. Grapplers don’t really present much of a problem to a fighter like GSP.

Burns struggled at LW, but found some recent success at WW fighting old versions of formerly top fighters. He’s never really beaten a top guy in their prime, let alone GSP.

Burns is good enough in the feet to be a problem for just about any GSP tittle challenger

How did MW evolved from early '10s when Jacare, TRT Belfort, Weidman, Rockhold, Machida or Romero were all in their prime? Now you have Vettori fighting for the tittle.

Yeah. You're right. Moose as well. Kennedy.

Yeah. You're right. Moose as well. Kennedy.

The divisions that have evolved in the last decade are below LW, in both men and women.
Basically because there wasn't barely money in there and now there is a real profesional circuit for the small guys worldwide.
In heavier weightclasses, it barely evolved in recent years, in some cases actually diminished

Shields at his best would be a hell of a problem for Usman.

Pre-USADA prime Hendricks would likely punch his lights out.

So many of these guys are better strikers than Usman has ever faced I have to think a few of them might crack him and finish the job.

“oLd FiGHTeRs wErEnT that GoOd”

Meanwhile journeyman Jorge is a title contender at 36 years old.

in before some half wit says 'new breed' or mma has 'evolved'.

damn too late.
They are telling the truth though, dan hardys don't get title shots anymore mate, the division is far beyond superior but nostalgia is a hell of a drug

LOVE GSP, my absolute favorite fighter during that era. Marty would beat them all.

he legit beats them all and also beats prime GSP

usman is on a different level

Ok....how many top 10 fighters would beat GSP when he was 10 years old?...
Who gives a fuck.....stooopid thread.....

I actually think prime Kos was a dangerous fight for anyone.

Heavy hands and elite wrestling. I could see the best version of Kos decisioning Usman. With that being said, Usman would be heavily favored against all of GSPs opponents.

“oLd FiGHTeRs wErEnT that GoOd”

Meanwhile journeyman Jorge is a title contender at 36 years old.

Yeah and Nate Diaz is competitive against the a top 5 WW while he was being tossed like a ragdoll at WW back then.

Current champ isn't as easy to finish as GSP was, Burns had his shot tho
GSP was ‘easy to finish’? Now you’re just being silly. Usman has a loss to an absolute nobody. Now we can all assume he’s easy to finish too I guess.

1. Jon Fitch (W)
2. BJ Penn (W)
3. Thiago Alves (W)
4. Dan Hardy (W)
5. Josh Koscheck (W)
6. Jake Shields (W)
7. Carlos Condit (?)
8. Nick Diaz (?)
9. Johny Hendricks (?)

I think he'd at the very least beat 6 of them. Diaz brings a style we haven't seen him have to deal with. Carlos Condit in his prime was hard to deal with and Hendricks was on GSPs level at the time. GSP and Usman have similar styles, but GSP was quicker and Usman has more power. Both cardio machines. GSP had a more complete striking arsenal and was more fluid at mixing all aspects of the game up.

Back