How many more wins does Oliveira need to add to his win streak to pass Khabib as GOAT LW?

How many more wins does Oliveira need to add to his win streak to pass Khabib as GOAT LW?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oliveira has a 8 fight win streak going. He's won the vacant title, defended the title and most likely will fight for the vacant title again. How many more wins does he add to his win streak until he surpasses Khabib in the all-time LW rankings?

For me, I'd say he wins the vacant title and defends it 3 more times, he'll surpass Khabib. So that means he needs 4 more wins imo.

charles-oliveira-khabib-nurmagomedov.jpg

Minimum 5 defenses depends on how dominant he will be.

Oliveira lost and tapped many times, tried to weight bully Featherweights and he failed, he even missed weight on Lightweight title fight now he needs to win more for sure to compensate that.

Khabib's UFC win ratio is %100, Oliveira's like %72, he at least needs to make that %90.

- And those 5 minimum defenses must be against the new guys like Islam, Dariush, Arman, Fiziev (if he wins RDA) etc.

- Defenses against no.9 ranked one legged Conor or unranked washed up Nate Diaz doesn't count.

Because you win against Khabib's leftovers and get dropped by Khabib's leftovers and say you did same. When Khabib fought them they were champ and interim champs and were prime not while Oliveira fought them, they were not prime, they were washed up when Oliveira fought them and still he got dropped every time.

To overcome the dominance Khabib showed (Olives has a boat load of losses and much closer fights) Charles probably needs to string together 8-9 title defenses. He needs to dwarf Khabib's title defenses if he wants to surpass his legacy.

He already has more wins, and better wins (imo). If you dont count Gathje as a defesne, Olivera has 1 defense, so he needs 2 more to match Khabib. If you see beating Gathje as a title defense for him, then he needs one more to match Khabib.

It probably also matters how much you care about dominance, or the overall body of work. How do you see finishes vs decisions.

I think Olivera has already accomplished as much or more than Khabib, but I think Khabib was the more skilled fighter, and retiring undefeated I expect history will remember him as the LW GOAT. It probably won't hurt his legacy that DC is a full blown cheer leader for his teammates on the broadcast.

Because you win against Khabib's leftovers and get dropped by Khabib's leftovers and say you did same. When Khabib fought them they were champ and interim champs and were prime not while Oliveira fought them, they were not prime.

Leftovers? We're talking about a deference of just a few years. Justin and Dustin aren't exactly out of their prime by any means. And furthermore charles beat them just as impressively

I will count the Gaethje fight as his title defense so that's two under his belt. The conundrum is whether I should weigh on his past losses since Khabib not only has a clean record but he only lost like 2 rounds his entire career.

If Oliv beats Islam and Arman - because he is a better fighter than Benny, then for sure he is up for the LW GOAT contention.

doesn't matter. there will still be no doubt in my mind Khabib would do to him what he did to everyone else.

I'm not gonna call a guy Ive seen lose 8ish times the GOAT when I think Khabib would give him another loss head to head.

To overcome the dominance Khabib showed (Olives has a boat load of losses and much closer fights) Charles probably needs to string together 8-9 title defenses. He needs to dwarf Khabib's title defenses if he wants to surpass his legacy.

Delusional. Khabib is 18-0 @ LW and half of them against nobodies that do nothing for legacies.

Charles is 23-3-1 @ LW and avenged one of the 3 losses (and finished the guy he got NC'd against). His win list is already better than Khabib he doesn't even need half that absurd number to overcome Khabib being more dominant on a far weaker schedule. Especially considering Charles has fought a much wider array of fighter styles.

Who says Khabib is actually the LW GOAT?

Benson:
  • Won the title off fellow LW GOAT and reigning champion Frankie Edgar and defended against him as opposed to winning his belt off #11 Iaquinta then defending against previous champ Conor and only beating him once
  • Has just as many UFC defences as him (3x)
  • Was a 3x WEC champion too, where he again won his belt beating the reigning champ, then defended it
  • Only ever lost a UFC/WEC championship fight to Pettis, showing he just kept running into a bad matchup there
  • Is presently the #3 Bellator LW 9 years after he lost his UFC belt
Khabib's argument has always rested on his dominance displayed, and not his actual accomplishments. Like yeah, I agree that I'd probably pick him to win most times against every other LW, but that doesn't mean he's actually the GOAT.

So to me Charles doesn't need much to surpass Khabib, if he hasn't already. He's already on the same streak Khabib's argument rests on, and that doesn't even take into account that Charles has further wins at LW beyond this current streak.

I dunno is Olivera going to "defend" against Nate, Conor, (Dustin, Justin, Chandler) rematch? I think Islam plus another top LW whoever comes on top would be a good match.

He needs several title defenses imo. He’s got several losses on his record and Khabib has none. Khabib also has 3 title defenses and Charles has 1. Charles needs to get the belt back and defend it several times.

Because you win against Khabib's leftovers and get dropped by Khabib's leftovers and say you did same. When Khabib fought them they were champ and interim champs and were prime not while Oliveira fought them, they were not prime, they were washed up when Oliveira fought them and still he got dropped every time.
They were interim champs because Khabib wasn't defending his belt....

How many times did your mama drop you on your head, boy?

Oliveira's lows will always be lower than Khabib's. But the highs he's reaching are IMO higher than Khabibs. If he wins against Islam and the next contender he'll arguably be the best ever. If not he's still top 3.

He needs several title defenses imo. He’s got several losses on his record and Khabib has none. Khabib also has 3 title defenses and Charles has 1. Charles needs to get the belt back and defend it several times.

Khabib should've ended his career in the same position Charles is as we all saw him miss weight against Justin too.

The only reason he didn't is because Abu Dhabi money exists.

If he can beat Islam and two other contenders I think he's done enough and faced tougher competition.

Voted "I have no idea" because it all depends on what is your criteria for GOAT.

Is it the best resume? Or is who you think had the best abilities/skills/whatever?
(and even best resume is a vague concept in this case because you have Charles in one hand fightin killers right of the bat and losing, and Khabib not fighting the same but staying undefeated)

Some could say Charles was the greatest of his time but had Khabib not retired, Charles wouldn't be champion because Khabib was better than him.

LW is really a coin toss.

Khabib should've ended his career in the same position Charles is as we all saw him miss weight against Justin too.

The only reason he didn't is because Abu Dhabi money exists.
Meh, that’s disputed. Khabib does have some legit weight misses though—but so does Oliveira.

Back