How many fighters better than Ronda actually existed in WMMA history?

Ronda had the same problem Blanchfield and Dern have- they don't really have the TD prowess to use their ground game effectively against the best. Except Ronda was even worse off on her feet with her limited striking.

There are a number of people in all of those lists that were more skilled overall than Ronda. It's almost everyone in the first two lists, and several on the bottom list.

Ronda had the same problem Blanchfield and Dern have- they don't really have the TD prowess to use their ground game effectively against the best. Except Ronda was even worse off on her feet with her limited striking.

There are a number of people in all of those lists that were more skilled overall than Ronda. It's almost everyone in the first two lists, and several on the bottom list.
What? The only one who Ronda didn't take down was Nunes
No comparision with Blanchfield or Dern take downs abiltiy

She was very poor advised in fact
She should have run away from any good striker till to win again
She got her jaw broken and her bell rung really hard. The worst thing you can do is go right back into that fire with a power puncher. She should have picked a contender with limited power so she could ease into getting comfortable being hit again. Win back your confidence and take a bigger challenge next. It was pure hubris and she got what she bargained for.

Last edited:
I think you just understimate her (like I used to do).....
Her efficiency was just crazy, I don't think two bad nights define her level

No one more did what she did to Zingano and she was the only one who got Tate submitted (two times)
I don't think the Zingano fight would go that way again. I largely agree with the list, but Cyborg always needs a huge asterick. And JJ may belong in that top tier. If JJ and Ronda at the same weight could be one of the most vicious beatdowns against a champion. She is like Holly, skillset wise, but with a killer instinct.

Holly and Nunes both stymied her TD and KOd her. The rest of her competition was largely lower level.

Did she even get to the point of approaching a takedown against Nunes?

Her throws are a different level to Erin or Big Mac.

Amanda Nunes arguably better? lolr45
No reason to argue at all, Amanda is much more well rounded AND hits like a truck. Rhonda's career IMHO was shortened by having a yes man coach/trainer who fed her BS by telling her she could box.

Early Rhonda Kicked Total Ass - she was a fierce AF warrior that devastated her opponents with her judo/wrestling. For the newer people that missed her reign, when she rushed inside and grabbed hold the fights would end in a hurry.

Her Cat Zangano fight was a perfect example of how good she was.

What a overstatement lol. Appeared pretty much talented girls at lower divisions but at 61 and 66 the level is pretty awful...Past prime Holm is a top 5 of the division even nowaday lol
I'll meet-in-the-middle that the upper-weight women's classes, particularly 66, are borderline non-existent (skill-wise or otherwise). But WMMA as a whole has left blatantly one-dimensional Rhonda in the dust. Which is fine and normal considering how much time has passed. The fact that the upper weights of WMMA are devoid of both skill and bodies is another issue.

Her dominance is comparable to Royce Gracie's dominance in the early days of the UFC. She benefited from having a bunch of weak competition.
And having one dominant skillset that no one (except Cyborg whom she didn't fight) could defend against. In Royce's case, it was BJJ and the fact that none of the strikers could defend against his weak TDs. It's not something anyone taught in 1980s/early 90s boxing/karate/kickboxing.

In Ronda's case, it was strong judo throws/TDs followed by a quick armbar no one could seem to defend. And some actually lost to her on the feet because they were terrified of being taken down (not because Honda's striking was good).

there was nothing like prime Ronda, nothing before, nothing after, with exception of AS. That run was something else.

there are more accomplished fighters now, but none had that run.

Cody McKenzie had the exact some record as Ronda, 12-0, almost all first round finishes with same submission.

I'm not sure how Holly is ranked lower than Ronda by TS since she finished her in a head-to-head fight. Maybe it's a "styles make fights" thing since Holm later lost to the same Meish Tate that Ronda beat. But I think everyone else Holm lost to would probably beat Ronda as well. I'd at least put the in the same category.

I don't think the Zingano fight would go that way again.
I agree. That was a clear case of a fighter being scared and mentally defeated before the fight started. Like an early Royce Gracie, everyone was caught up in the Honda hype and convinced she'd submit you in seconds.

Objectively, I do think Ronda was overall underrated and she got to a point where she stopped evolving.
I think that was due to her shitty gym/trainers and believing her hype too much.

And yea looking at how Tate beat Holm's, I think a non-stagnant Ronda beats Holms too.

Did she even get to the point of approaching a takedown against Nunes?

Her throws are a different level to Erin or Big Mac.
Yes, and Amanda threw her off so easily it was a joke, watch it again.

Her TDs may be on a different level at the Olympics, but not in MMA.

Didn't you notice that once WMMA fighters started to have TD defense, she started getting smashed? She didn't have a prayer at getting them down and couldn't last long enough on the feet to wear them down for later in the fight.

Yes, and Amanda threw her off so easily it was a joke, watch it again.

Her TDs may be on a different level at the Olympics, but not in MMA.

Didn't you notice that once WMMA fighters started to have TD defense, she started getting smashed? She didn't have a prayer at getting them down and couldn't last long enough on the feet to wear them down for later in the fight.

That sounds like haterade talking.

Honda smashed the 3 girls that beat Nunes (2 by stoppage) in a combined 61 seconds.

You hyper focus on 2 of Ronda's fights and putting her at Dern level is crazy.

She has a legit argument as WMMA GOAT.

It's between her, Nunes and Val.

That sounds like haterade talking.

Honda smashed the 3 girls that beat Nunes (2 by stoppage) in a combined 61 seconds.

You hyper focus on 2 of Ronda's fights and putting her at Dern level is crazy.

She has a legit argument as WMMA GOAT.

It's between her, Nunes and Val.
Actually no on the first line, I don't have a dog in this fight and just disagree on the rest. All MMAth aside, I think the top level WMMA fighters of today are just better than Ronda.

This/end thread.

The overall skill level of WMMA has quadrupled or so since Ronda was on top. This is a good thing.
The only ones in this thread who honestly think Ronda is still the best fighter in WMMA history are people who'd love it if she fucked them with a strapon and probably fantasize about it.

She's barely make the top 10 in today's WMMA and almost everyone she fought was a glorified soccer mom. The first time she ran into a fighter who could actually box she got murked, and Holly's always been mediocre at best. Nunes literally almost killed her.

Back