How many fighters are introduced using their nickname instead of their last name:

Cheick Kongo. Real name is Cheick Guillaume Ouedraogo, which to me is cooler than his stage name.

gleison tibau's real name is Janigleison Herculano Alves don't know where the tibau comes from but gleison is just a shortened version of his first name I'm guessing

The thing you have to understand about Brazilians is, they have more names than you can shake a stick at, but they only use one and it's usually not even on their birth certificate. For example, Pele's actual name is listed as Edson Arantes do Nascimento.

It was from the ugly ass reebok shirts that I learned Damien Maia isn't actually his name

Ditto about Barao. Just thought that was his real name. TS are you talking about being introduced by the announcers or by Bruce Buffer because even fighters we typically refer to by nickname only get announced with both in full. Can't think of many exceptions. It's always Mauricio SHO-GUN Huuuaaaaa. Not sure if I ever hear Flilpovic called out for Cro Cop though so that one was a good call.

In K1 they did I think.

gleison tibau's real name is Janigleison Herculano Alves don't know where the tibau comes from but gleison is just a shortened version of his first name I'm guessing

Tibau is where he was born.

Edimilson "Kevin" Souza

Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza

Shogun Rua and Rampage Jackson, to an extent; they have their first names in the introduction, but nobody even refers to them as Mauricio or Quinton.

TS said last names

Jussier Formiga's real name is Jussier da Silva but no one calls him that.

First thing about brazil, Silva it's a very very very common name, you HAVE to use a nickname, or it will be fighter will same name.
Second, they usually uses first and second name and its a personal choice, never a event choice.
Finally, many fighters are known in Brazil, and then they arrive at UFC already has a name like Feij

Most Brazilians have long catholic names a lot of them use their middle name as their last name for some reason

probably because 90% of brazilian names are a combination of the following names: Silva, Alves, Thiago, Santos, Antonio, Rafael,

Jussier Formiga's real name is Jussier da Silva but no one calls him that.

The UFC certainly did, at least up to a point.

First thing about brazil, Silva it's a very very very common name, you HAVE to use a nickname, or it will be fighter will same name.
Second, they usually uses first and second name and its a personal choice, never a event choice.
Finally, many fighters are known in Brazil, and then they arrive at UFC already has a name like Feij

Most Brazilians have long catholic names a lot of them use their middle name as their last name for some reason

probably because 90% of brazilian names are a combination of the following names: Silva, Alves, Thiago, Santos, Antonio, Rafael,

Let me help you with that.

We don't use our middle name as last names, just use the middle name only period. We never put last name in front of others names, and usually only say the last name when there's another person with same name. My name is Marcelo, I will only say my last name if another Marcelo is around.

90% of course not! hahahahaha
Silva, Aves and Santos are last names, Thiago, Antonio and Rafael are first names.

It's strange to see "Dos Santos", the name is J

Back