how many days before a tournament do you stop rolling to let your body recover?

FStep

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
by rolling i mean medium or fast pace...

I roll hard 3 days out, lightly 2 days out and not at all the day before (might ride the bike if I need to cut weight).

I only take one day off to rest. I find the more days I take off before a tournament, the more nervous I get.

Also, if I take a couple days off I'm going to gain weight, the temptation to eat is too strong.

I actually build up that week. I roll light on day 1 and I progressively roll harder and harder until the day before. The day before, I spend not training at all. I usually use it for clearing my head and getting my shit together.

If the tournament is on Saturday I'll roll light on Thursday and take Friday off.

I actually build up that week. I roll light on day 1 and I progressively roll harder and harder until the day before. The day before, I spend not training at all. I usually use it for clearing my head and getting my shit together.

i used to do something like that but i found my arms wouldn't fully recover by tournament time.
i usually find i roll best when i come back after a week off because my body is fresh, i wonder if rolling real hard for 2 weeks str8 and then taking off for 5 days before the tourney is a good idea

I'll roll fully on Tuesday before a competition. I'll spar lightly on Wednesday.

Thursday and Friday, I do nothing more than drills.

I wish the real world was like Dragonball, and you could always train to failure, take a nap, eat a big lunch and be completely recovered. You could train hard up until like 4 hours before competitions.

We usually had a light sparring the day of competition in judo and we rolled hard a day before leaving (if it was an outside competition) or a day before competition.

3 days seem too much, you are not supposed to be 100% injury free when on competition. Every professional athlete has lingeries injuries from training.

And if you find yourself weakened before competition, you didn't trained properly.

I do mostly everything I usually do but HARDER M - W. Th I train but don't roll hard. F I take off, and travel, weigh in, etc., eat a big dinner (if I had a cut), then get some rest, and a long night's sleep.

3 days seem too much, you are not supposed to be 100% injury free when on competition. Every professional athlete has lingeries injuries from training.

And if you find yourself weakened before competition, you didn't trained properly.

you're referring to mma, that's a much more physically demanding competition which requires training that is bound to cause some injuries, for submission grappling i think you can avoid that and i don't see how 3 days would effect your technique at all

also i don't mean weakened, i'm referring to your arms just being worn down from training aka you won't be as effective if you have to do a few arm in guillotines for example

Usually 2 days is good for me. I may roll super light or drill a day or two before, but I feel most recharged with two days off.

I only take one day off to rest. I find the more days I take off before a tournament, the more nervous I get.

This. Although I will admit I wish I would have taken an extra day of rest before my last comp. I felt pretty tired by my last (seventh) match of the day.

you're referring to mma, that's a much more physically demanding competition which requires training that is bound to cause some injuries, for submission grappling i think you can avoid that and i don't see how 3 days would effect your technique at all

also i don't mean weakened, i'm referring to your arms just being worn down from training aka you won't be as effective if you have to do a few arm in guillotines for example

Nope, i was referring to my older days of college judo, someone who is injury free actually makes you feel better since they probably didn't trained as hard.

Another thing is that, pardon me if im wrong i can't find the source, that you loss quite a big amount of fine motor skills after such periods of not training, specially on the basics and you pick it right up after doing them for a little while. The problem is that you may lose on the first stages of competition.

We usually had a light training session with light sparring the very day of competition when possible and we had tournament mode sparring the days before.

I think if anything its the volume what needs to be lowered not the intensity, try 1 or 2 high intensity tournamnt mentality sparrings the day before and then have technical sparring with little effort the rest of the class, and if possible do some light cardio and drills the day of competition. I tell you nothing feels as bad as having to warm up your engine during a tournament match, because if you lose and you don't give your 100% you will regret it forever, believe me.

Interesting to read that almost everyone rests one day before they compete.
Are there some sort of other guide lines for what to do when you're about to compete?
( i'm thinking food , excercise , massages etc)

I wish the real world was like Dragonball, and you could always train to failure, take a nap, eat a big lunch and be completely recovered. You could train hard up until like 4 hours before competitions.

I wish the real world was like dragonball and we could go into that place where you go train and time freezes and the gravity is higher so I could go in there with roger gracie and train for 10 years and come out the same age and same belt (white) one day later in real time and completely smash everyone in every tourney and be a complete prodigy (or so they would think) lol

I'll roll hard the day before. I'm usually still cutting weight, so I'll need to put the sweat time in. Guess it goes back to my wrestling days. No lifting for about a week's lead-up, or at least lift light up to a few days before competition.

My high school coach (Michigan and USMC wrestler, Olympic qualifier), told some great stories about his high school competition days. They would have a full practice, what he called a "real barn-burner" immediately before a match. Talk about psyching the other team out with your conditioning.

Last edited:
Interesting to read that almost everyone rests one day before they compete.
Are there some sort of other guide lines for what to do when you're about to compete?
( i'm thinking food , excercise , massages etc)

You may want to carbo-load. You can see what it is in google.

You may want to carbo-load. You can see what it is in google.

yeah... I carb load just on the strength that I've been cutting so my body is usually really starving for carbs at this point... so I usually find the best itialian restaurant in the area and eat BIG! ;-)

Back