how low do YOU go (calories) on a cut?

A

anti_clwntwn**

Just wondering how much you guys restrict cals while cutting, whether it be to drop some fat or prep for a fight. I'm actually surprised at how low I've had to keep my cals to cut to 185. About 5 years ago i was a measly 140lbs (5'9), and now I'm hovering at 187 @ 2000 cals per day. This week i'm going to try dropping it down to around 1500.

depends how fast you have to get rid of the weight (ie: if you've got to make weight for a fight or if you just wanna lose it to look better) and how much weight you wanna lose. cutting 500 a day should drop 1 pound a week so if i were you i'd probably go for a 500-750 a day defecit.

I've read that you should go no lower than 10xBWT.

You need to show your program and complete diet and then we go from there. That's why no one responded.

no, I'm asking about myself. I'm asking about everyone else......how low do YOU personally go on a cut.

no, I'm asking about myself. I'm asking about everyone else......how low do YOU personally go on a cut.

Generally, I don't go lower than 2800 calories a day. While this may seem like alot to most people, I find it is better for me to lose weight through increased physical activity than actual dietary restriction.

I once learned this the hard way, as I ended up losing more muscle than fat by running my cals too low.

it depends on what you're eating more then calories

calories alone means jack squat

I will go from about 205-210 to around 195-200 for tournaments. I usually drop alcohol and general bad food a month or so out and then start tweaking as it gets closer.

I've found as my training increases for tournaments, my weight goes down naturally.

You'll get your information faster by looking up fat-loss strategies of popular/highly-regarded individuals. For instance, I've seen Berardi go as low as 8 x BW (in lbs.) with his Get Shredded diet.

I will go from about 205-210 to around 195-200 for tournaments. I usually drop alcohol and general bad food a month or so out and then start tweaking as it gets closer.

I've found as my training increases for tournaments, my weight goes down naturally.

My weight naturally goes up leading up to a fight

I just seem to be hungry all the time and think because I'm doing so much i can afford to eat more so I can recover. I unfortunately seem to do this quite well

Generally, I don't go lower than 2800 calories a day. While this may seem like alot to most people, I find it is better for me to lose weight through increased physical activity than actual dietary restriction.

I once learned this the hard way, as I ended up losing more muscle than fat by running my cals too low.

Oh yeh? 2800 compared to the usual what? I'm @ 4000 kcal/day right now because I'm bulking. After a few more months though, I'm gonna do a 180 to get rid of any gained fat. I'll research how to do it the proper way when the time comes, but I'm just asking you out of curiosity :p I assume my ****bolism will be going overdrive when I cut out x amount of calories because it's used to consuming so much. I don't know how accurate that assumption is, but I'll find out for sure when the time comes.

Well cutting for dropping fat and prepping for a fight are two entirely different things. When cutting to drop fat I keep my calories around 2500 daily, with daily lifting and H-I-T. If you're lifting and doing intense cardio daily, you can be consuming 3000+ calories daily, as long as they are CLEAN foods (Fruits, veges, lean meats and whole grains) you shouldn't be gaining any fat and will eventually look terrific. Cutting during wrestling is an extremely different and agnozing process however....calories can sink below 1000 on some days =/

Brand Nizzel is right. It depends alot on what you are cutting for.

When I'm just losing weight to be generally leaner, I normally just eat alot cleaner and up my activity. But when you are trying to make weight, you do what it takes. Even if that means all you eat in a day is a can of tuna and a cup of brown rice, or sometimes even nothing... You are never doing that for an extended period of time though, its just an extreme measure to make weight.

I haven't measured calories for a long, long time. I gauge by how hungry I am. It has worked for me so far....

Back