How long?

Hit-or-be-hit

Green Belt
Reaction score
HOw long did it take to get a stripe on your belt. I know that sounds weird. I just know i won't be getting a blue belt for a while. But i was just wondering how long befor you at least get a stripe.
Someone that was watching me a couple weeks ago couldn't believe i was a white belt and then someone i was practicing with was basically like saying im basically like rolling with someone with stripes except that i don't have any.
I know it's weird. Just wondering how long did it take before you got a stripe

I hope it's at least another year for you.

Seriously....everyone needs to stop worrying about stripes and belts. If you are training hard and doing what you are supposed to do, these things will come when they come. I know that it feels great to get recognition, but that's not what it's about. It's about perfecting technique and training as much as possible!

A lot of places aren't very strict about the stripes. I didn't have any for 6 months. Then I took 6 months off, and when I came back my instructor saw where I was at and gave me 3.

I never got stripes on my white, but then I got 4 stripes on my blue belt twice because they all fell off between promotion times. Same thing happened with my purple belt, was promoted to 3 stripes twice.

All in all, who gives a fuck? I think stripes are stupid unless you're a black belt anyways.

i know everyone says this. but shut up about belts and stripes...

your instructor knows better than you, it all depends on how fast your progress and when he thinks you're ready.

just train, i consider my belt more as something that keeps my gi together than my rank... i know thats somewhat of a stupid statement, but i don't get hung up on it, sure i'll be ecstatic when i get my next belt, until then, im just going to train.

You get them when your instructor thinks you deserve them.

My first one took me 3 months, but schools do them differently so it really doesnt matter.

People dont understand that YOU HAVE TO BACK UP YOUR STRIPES...seriously, if you ever go to a tournament (doubt you have, no offense), but youll see what being a 1 stripe...2 stripe, etc is REALLY like...

Its better to be a solid white that dominates, then someone who stole or bought a blue belt, and got their ass raped.

Theres a difference between sports tape and a stripe on a belt. One you buy, one your earn.

In my first tournament, I beat a 5 stripe white belt... Yeah no joke this kid had 5 stripes on his white belt and I won 26-0

Just train and read up. I was close to a bb in Karate when I started bjj, honestly I could whoop all the bb's in my school except two and my two instructors, and I went into bjj and started getting my ass handed to me by white belts (especially embarrassing since I was wearing my red belt from karate, not knowing it is only 8th dan and up in bjj). I've trained at two schools, one gave stripes to white belts, one did not give stripes until blue belt, and then a stripe represented AT LEAST 90 hours of mat time. Just get in shape, use your intelligence, read books, go to lockflow.com and similar sites, and drill like crazy. Don't worry about stripes.

I like stripes. You could be a white belt for a long time.

I was a whitebelt for two years. Thats a long road to travel with no recognition.

People act like it shouldnt matter, but BJJ is a physical activity, and improvement should be acknowledged.

Just train and read up. I was close to a bb in Karate when I started bjj, honestly I could whoop all the bb's in my school except two and my two instructors, and I went into bjj and started getting my ass handed to me by white belts (especially embarrassing since I was wearing my red belt from karate, not knowing it is only 8th dan and up in bjj). I've trained at two schools, one gave stripes to white belts, one did not give stripes until blue belt, and then a stripe represented AT LEAST 90 hours of mat time. Just get in shape, use your intelligence, read books, go to lockflow.com and similar sites, and drill like crazy. Don't worry about stripes.

thanks 4 the tips:D
but um just wondering what was the whole red belt thing about??? This might sound stupid but i honestly thought there was no such thing as a red belt... so by what u r saying does an 8th degree black belt become a red belt??? im confused on that

I like stripes. You could be a white belt for a long time.

I was a whitebelt for two years. Thats a long road to travel with no recognition.

People act like it shouldnt matter, but BJJ is a physical activity, and improvement should be acknowledged.

well i mean i don't expetct 2 get them soon cuz the place i train at hardly ever gives anything out. Like the instructor said one day u could be a white the next a blue and then the next a purple. I mean they don't like 2 give out anything thats kinda y i was wondering.
I mean some people have been there 4 ever and dominate me and they don't even have any stripes. I know it will be probably at least 6 more months b4 i even get one if even that soon.

Stripes are for Zebras.

I agree, I actually forgot how many I have because they fell off my belt in the wash and I never put them back on. I'm confident my instuctor will promote me based on my ability and not on stripe progression when I desrve it.

I agree, I actually forgot how many I have because they fell off my belt in the wash and I never put them back on. I'm confident my instuctor will promote me based on my ability and not on stripe progression when I desrve it.

You should never wash your belt.

Back