How long?

whats the deal with stripes? (my school doesnt have them, in fact they give them out as jokes/when you screw up)..my instructor just says....whats the difference? if you have 1 stripe or 5 the goal is to be a black belt, not a blue belt...

5 1/2 months to 1st
4 months to 2nd
2 months to 3rd
2 months to 4th
1 months to blue
4mo to 1
6mo to 2
4mo to 3

Stripes do not belong in BJJ....that should be reserved for Karate and other TMA's.

*puts on flame proof suit*

I know I got stripes in TKD, but in BJJ? There are no stripes given at my BJJ school. I thought stripes were not common in BJJ. I expect to remain a plain old whitebelt for at the very least another six months and probably more like another year or two at the rate I learn stuff (and forget it again), and I've already been a whitebelt for 14 months. The worst thing, I think, would be to get my bluebelt when I'm still making stupid mistakes and not doing basic escapes, takedowns, sweeps, guards, and defenses properly.

It's not like getting a stripe will magically make you a better grappler. The same people who kick your ass will still kick your ass, except you won't have the excuse of rank anymore. Personally, I'd want to stay a white belt for as long as I possibly could, given the same pace of improvement. That way you won't embarrass yourself at tournaments or rolling with higher belts.

I like stripes cuz there is a big difference between a white belt on his first day and one on the verge of blue belt. Same thing with all the belts, we have some blues that I'm better than and some I'm worse than. The guys who are better than me have more stripes than me, so to me it makes sense. It's not like some TMA's were a belt changes color every 3-6 months. Most guys get stuck at blue for like 3 years. The stripes are just a barometer for your progression and a way for your instructor to say "I notice improvement and you are one step closer now to the next level".

I've never gotten a stripe. And it has CRIPPLED my jiu jitsu, not to mention my self esteem.

we have stripes at my gym, but i went straight from white to blue... and i hope to not get any stripes before purple... i hate stripes.

I know it's weird. Just wondering how long did it take before you got a stripe

Exact timing in my case listed here. Although as far as I'm aware, the stripes at RGA are just a matter of how long you've been training. Usage of stripes varies considerably between academies, from what I've seen on threads like this.

jesus christ, just train. If you worry too much about belts, by the time you get it, you'll be mighty shitty. Focus on your game.

In my first tournament, I beat a 5 stripe white belt... Yeah no joke this kid had 5 stripes on his white belt and I won 26-0

lol awesome. We had some TKD guys show up to a BJJ tourney before and had to go against a green belt with 5 stripes or something ridiculous, oh that poor kid.

I have one stripe after almost two years. I roll and keep up with all the blue belts in my class. Sometimes I think my instructor just hates me, I'm not really sure what the deal is.

Then again, I do not go to the "testing" classes (ie, pay more money for a piece of tape).

Back