how long?

moochpb

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I ve been training gi and no gi jiu jitsu for about a year and four months....I ve placed in 6 of the 7 tournaments i ve been too and the latest one's i have won first...I am only 140 pds and everyone in our school is big...the second smallest guy is 155 then everyone else is above 170...I beat everyone except for my purple belt instructor which I have beaten twice but I m sure he wasnt trying to hard, and a few good but a lot bigger blue belts...I have tapped about 3 bluebelts in tournaments in no-gi....We finally have our blackbelt come down in about three weeks to test us and see if we are ready....Do you think I am ready to be a blue belt?....Does it matter how big or small you are compared to your gym mates when you get tested?

yes weight matters alot.

the basic rule is that if you weigh under 160, then white belt for 24 months.

160-200 pounds, white belt for 12 months.

200+, white belt for 6 months.

also, if you placed in 6/7 tourney, but only won 1... you probably need to add weight.

hope this helps!

yes this helps....i kinda figured weight does matter.....the big guys muscle out of a lot of stuff i throw at them, however they cant submit me either....i triangle all the big guys that is the move that works...i also train 6 days a week....twice a day also a few times a week...thanks for the responses

Just eat a big breakfast before you test.

Many new schools now have a 36 month wait period for blue belt if you weight 142 or under. Just to make sure I would eat/drink as much as possible over the next 3 weeks.

The weight thing is fucking bullshit if you ask me. Why shoudl it matter?

I think you shoudl be very very close to a blue belt. If you were at our school, I bet our instructor would have you fight all th eblues back to back, then he would figh tyou and slip the blet on you after rag dolling you a bit :)

Keep at it bro, its all you!!!!

Just skipp the next 3 weeks training and eat fastfood 3 times a day.

That way you can gain all the weight you need to get the blue!

Glad we could help.

yes weight matters alot.

also, if you placed in 6/7 tourney, but only won 1... you probably need to add weight.

hope this helps!

:icon_twis

I ve been training gi and no gi jiu jitsu for about a year and four months....I ve placed in 6 of the 7 tournaments i ve been too and the latest one's i have won first...I am only 140 pds and everyone in our school is big...the second smallest guy is 155 then everyone else is above 170...I beat everyone except for my purple belt instructor which I have beaten twice but I m sure he wasnt trying to hard, and a few good but a lot bigger blue belts...I have tapped about 3 bluebelts in tournaments in no-gi....We finally have our blackbelt come down in about three weeks to test us and see if we are ready....Do you think I am ready to be a blue belt?....Does it matter how big or small you are compared to your gym mates when you get tested?

You might be ready, but instead of thinking about it as, "How do I get to blue belt," you should be thinking, "How do I get to black belt?" You usually shouldn't be concerned with getting rank. It will happen when it happens. So worry about perfecting your technique instead. Belts are meaningful achievements that come when you least expect it. You'll be ready when you stop caring about blue belt. Then one day, BAM! And you're like "WTF I didn't get super-awesome jiu-jitsu superpowers!" It feels like you didn't improve, but you did when you didn't notice.

You might be ready when your black belt comes to town, so start asking about holes in your game. Make sure you can escape all the positions or perform at least 2-3 moves from each one (in both offensive and defensive positions). See other instructor's criteria and see if you can meet most of it (even though it doesn't apply to you, it can only help). You should be doing all of this anyway. Even if you aren't promoted - and you might not be promoted and there is nothing wrong with that - it is a good idea to use the black belt's seminar as an excuse to go over the basics again.

Have fun at your seminar!

hes not bma mat, bma mat taps out blackbelts, TS only tapped out a purple......

dont EVER disrespect BMA mat....or he will
pull guard and armbar
pull guard and armbar
pull guard and armbar
pull guard and armbar
pull guard and armbar
pull guard and armbar
pull guard and armbar
pull guard and armbar

Blue belt doesnt mean too much. Royce when he does a seminar more or less hands one to everyone who has a year on the mat, so long as they look like they have trained for a year.

Where are you training moochpb?

Blue belt doesnt mean too much. Royce when he does a seminar more or less hands one to everyone who has a year on the mat, so long as they look like they have trained for a year.

Where I come from a blue belt means a lot. Our instructor doesn't hand them out, you fucking earn them.

Where I come from a blue belt means a lot. Our instructor doesn't hand them out, you fucking earn them.

Well Royce gives them to guys with a good year on the mat who look like they have spent a good year on the mat. That does not mean much to me, and neither does blue belt, its a grasp of basic techniques and positions. Purple is when belts really mean more than mat time.

I would not use Royce Gracie's promotional methods as a good barometer for what a blue belt should be. He is known to hand those out like they mean nothing.

Based on that one paragraph description of your grappling experience, you will be ready for blue belt in 6.35 months assuming you continue to train an average of 7.85 hours per week. I am in a solid position to know your skill level now.

yes weight matters alot.

hope this helps!

You bastard...I nearly spat coffee on my computer, and all my co-workers are looking at me like I'm fucking handicapped.

Same here.

You can't use a blanket statement like "blue belt doesn't mean a lot". Maybe it doesn't for Royce Gracie affiliates, I can't say, but not every school just hands them out for good attendance.

Back