how long?

Forgive my newbness but I was under the impression it took an average 3-5 years to get a blue belt and this guy has not been training two year yet.

Average time for a blue belt is between 1 - 2 years for guys that train consistently with a quality instructor. In 2 years of 3-5 times a week training you should be able to master the skills generally required for a blue belt. Different people progress at different speeds, but certainly doing well in tournaments can speed up the time to get promoted. The weight thing seems like bullshit.

Average time for a blue belt is between 1 - 2 years for guys that train consistently with a quality instructor. In 2 years of 3-5 times a week training you should be able to master the skills generally required for a blue belt. Different people progress at different speeds, but certainly doing well in tournaments can speed up the time to get promoted. The weight thing seems like bullshit.

you clearly weigh less than 160#.

He is known to hand those out like they mean nothing.

Yeah i wonder why that might be..........

But IME it doesnt mean a whole lot. I ahve rolled with blues and purples from Relson,Rickson, Pedro Sauer (sp), Royce, Lloyd Irvin,Gustavo Machado, and a few others who i didnt ask where they got their belts from. All the blues were very similar in skill levels, as were the purples.

IME BJJ guys have varying standards for blue, the really rigid ones hold guys back more because of competition viability than a standard skill level. All of them seem to be alot stiffer as to what they expect out of a purple. So when I say blue is no big deal, its what I have seen in the past 11 years training in several places and with people from all over, but of course I know people's experiences will vary. Anyone with a modicum of athletic ability who trains 3 times a week should be blue belt level in 12 months. It seems in the case of the 24 month blues their instructors like to start sandbagging early.....

<----Sneers at Armtriangle

proceeds to

*keep stuffing powdered donuts into my piehole*

THe fact is that different instructor are more or less strict when it comes awarding belts. Ask your instructor, he should tell you if you are ready.

Personally, I could care less what belt a person has. Belt level does not always equal skill or knowledge. I have never cared to test. Back when I trained Karate, I was the only yellow belt in the advanced class. I was training 5 days a week 3-5 hours a day in Karate, Kickboxing and shootfighting (as we called MMA at the time) but I was there to learn not get a pretty belt. I also once had a judo belt just handed to me because I would go for so long with out bothering to test. That is the way belt should be given IMO. When you are ready, you get it. Simple as that.

I train in jacksonville right now, I take it very seriously and dont want my belt handed to me I want it earned....For everyone saying to eat Im 25 years old have a very high ****bolism and eat every 3 hours....I have a fight at 135 so i like to stay at 140-145....thanks for the help though....I do care about belts cause i would like to open a school in the future plus its a reward i believe....But i also believe that their are white belts out there that never got promoted that are awesome fighters and ground fighters....My purple belt instructor says i m ready but he isnt the black belt so that cant get me too far...

If he says you are ready, you are. My guess is when you guy's BB visits, you will get a blue.

this is the funnest shit ever!

I cant believe how many people arent getting the joke...

Wait, its sherdog, so yes i can believe it.

Quick, somebody post the video of BJ Penn as a white belt in a Judo tournament. It just doesn't seem like Sherdog unless the "how do I get a blue belt" thread is followed by that.

this is the funnest shit ever!

I cant believe how many people arent getting the joke...

Wait, its sherdog, so yes i can believe it.

The basic question og "how do I find out if I am ready" is a good one, even if the TS is playing this for a joke.

lord this better than any sitcom on TV right now. I just read these to my son and he's blowing snot bubbles.

Back