How long till you acutally got 'good'?

I started getting a respectable level but by no means good IMO at blue belt.

I've been training for six months. At around 3-4 months newbies around my size could no longer keep up. Now I'm pretty comfortable against any newbie regardless of size. They'll probably get tapped.

I can also compete nicely with our smaller blue belts, trading taps just about evenly or no taps at all. The better blue belts my size can typically do anything they want to me. My main instructor is a purple belt and about 15 lbs lighter. He owns me in any way he see fit.

HTH

Gsoares2 said:
By your 2nd month you should be tapping everyone.... three months and you'll be a black belt....

dont give up.

bjj...not tkd...

what i think. in order to beat someone, you need patience. the key is to contain your energy so you dont get too tired too quickly. now, if you watch a lot of Ground work, then you ll start to realize that you ll end up on both top and bottom, its inevitable. and when you start standing, what i suggest is to study a Stand up martial art for Balance. Balace is really really helpful, not just for stand up, but for the ground too.

one martial art that consists of a lot of balance is tae kwon do. allthough that is not meant for MMa much, its a really good source for Balance, agility, and strength. you get a shitload of stamina and concentration based on decision making.

i did it and i took in Jiu-Jitsu a few months ago, and i tapped out people left and right only because i had balance and speed. im a guy who weighs about 190lbs and i move like a cheetah. my record is pretty good, beating people who've been there for over 2 years and below.

Mr.Jesus said:
what i think. in order to beat someone, you need patience. the key is to contain your energy so you dont get too tired too quickly. now, if you watch a lot of Ground work, then you ll start to realize that you ll end up on both top and bottom, its inevitable. and when you start standing, what i suggest is to study a Stand up martial art for Balance. Balace is really really helpful, not just for stand up, but for the ground too.

one martial art that consists of a lot of balance is tae kwon do. allthough that is not meant for MMa much, its a really good source for Balance, agility, and strength. you get a shitload of stamina and concentration based on decision making.

i did it and i took in Jiu-Jitsu a few months ago, and i tapped out people left and right only because i had balance and speed. im a guy who weighs about 190lbs and i move like a cheetah. my record is pretty good, beating people who've been there for over 2 years and below.
You gotta think about switching schools.

Its funny how everyone on Sherdog becomes a phenom after 3 months. Sadly, not me. I think I just have a good school because our blue belts are faaaaaaaaaaaaaar superior than the white belts.

How can a newbie tap you if they have no idea of what they are doing ?

I'm talking the average newbie, not the newbie who has followed MMA for 5 years and play grappled with his friends for 3, or the guy who is 250 lbs of solid muscle and is a champion wrestler.

I don't consider myself good, but I've been training for close to a year. My instructor (purple belt) still plays with me and I still lose (occasionally) to some of the bigger guys (outweigh me by about 10+ kilos). A higher white belt (instructor's friend, he thinks the guy is ready for blue belt soon and he has placed top three in comp) still was able to have his way with me, but not without giving him a hard time .

takes time about 5-6 months before you tap people

just keep at it- you get better and better as time goes on

Back