How likely is fight between Gus and DC for interim title?

ScriptReadsMe

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Apparently Jones has 5 more fights under his contract and last I checked Joe Silva was the matchmaker. If Jones refuses to fight who his employer tells him to fight, can the UFC decide to make Gus vs DC for the interim title and force Jones to take on the winner or cede the belt?

Of course they can. Jon has zero leverage and if the UFC cuts him he will be a forgotten man within a year or two. Like who is gonna pay to watch Jon beat up Tito and tell everyone how great he is? And imagine when Dana rips into him with the eyepokes, ducking etc. As soon as Gus beats Cormier or vice verca people will start going "yeah Jon was decent but he did get beat up by Gus and..."

You'd have to be deluded to think Jon has any real power in this.

I swear ppl on Sherdog take wild speculation and breathe full life into it

The fight is completely unlikely, they wont make an Interim title when the champ is still healthy and active.

The fight is completely unlikely, they wont make an Interim title when the champ is still healthy and active.

I wouldn't consider a fighter active if he's not facing the adversity that is put ahead of him by his promotion.

Of course they can. Jon has zero leverage and if the UFC cuts him he will be a forgotten man within a year or two. Like who is gonna pay to watch Jon beat up Tito and tell everyone how great he is? And imagine when Dana rips into him with the eyepokes, ducking etc. As soon as Gus beats Cormier or vice verca people will start going "yeah Jon was decent but he did get beat up by Gus and..."

You'd have to be deluded to think Jon has any real power in this.
I disagree. Jones is the man to beat. Sure they can do an interim title, but there will always be question "could they have beaten Jones?"
People like to watch Jones fight, so he does have real power, because even if he went to another organisation he would take fans with him.

What other choice do they have if the champ refuses to fight contenders and starts making crazy demands? There's been other far more respected champs than Jon who's tried to tussle with the UFC and they all got their asses kicked. The UFC just isn't going to hand over their leverage to a guy like Jon, that would be absurd.

I disagree. Jones is the man to beat. Sure they can do an interim title, but there will always be question "could they have beaten Jones?"
People like to watch Jones fight, so he does have real power, because even if he went to another organisation he would take fans with him.

You mean all 5 of them??

Ultimately the UFC brand is stronger than any individual fighter and not even Fedor with some pretty good HW comp could breathe life into Affliction and Strikeforce. Jon sure as hell isn't going to do it with Bellator and Tito.

I wouldn't consider a fighter active if he's not facing the adversity that is put ahead of him by his promotion.

What other choice do they have if the champ refuses to fight contenders and starts making crazy demands? There's been other far more respected champs than Jon who's tried to tussle with the UFC and they all got their asses kicked. The UFC just isn't going to hand over their leverage to a guy like Jon, that would be absurd.

He's not injured or anything, it will all get sorted out and he'll be in the cage later this year.

Well, neither is Nick Diaz and he was released from the UFC

Not released. More like stuck in limbo since he's still under contract with the UFC and can't compete for another org until he's fulfilled it (see; Couture drama).

Just like Jon. He'd have 5 non championship, non ppv fights he'd have to do before he could go to Bellator and fight Tito for scraps.

Back