How legit is Roy Dean?

K

KF1

I was thinking about getting one of his BJJ instructional, particularly the Blue Belt requirement one.

How good is it? I know DVD are no replacement for a real teacher, but its the best I can do at the moment.

So? is it worth it?

I'm not sure how strict you are on the term "Legit?"

He has never been a world champion but he is a legitimate BJJ black belt & from what I have heard, his DVD's are top quality. I still haven't seen them but I have heard nothing but good reviews. I can't wait for him to release a Brown & Black Belt requirement DVD sets.

Very Legit, very technical instructor. All of his dvds are good

He has never been a world champion but he is a legitimate BJJ black belt & from what I have heard, his DVD's are top quality. I still haven't seen them but I have heard nothing but good reviews. I can't wait for him to release a Brown & Black Belt requirement DVD sets.

GSparky, I don't want to be an arsehole. But I think you are forcing me to be. You seem like a nice guy and tried to be helpful to people but you really need to train before you can start commenting on how good their instructionals are. In the end you will love jiu jitsu much more and understand BJJ matches in a way in which only a trained person can.

I don't know if it is true, but I have heard that a university offers a course in surfing that doesn't include actual surfing. The people on that course are never actually going to fully appreciate surfing like someone who actually surfs.

I know you are entitled to your opinion and there have been people that have become good using a lot of instructionals such as Laimon.

Thats just my take on things. You can have perfectly legitimate arguments why a persons points are still valid without having done the sport in question.

I train at a school and also supplement my training with DVDs. The Blue belt essentials is very well done and I would put the level of detail at about an 8.5. The techniques I would give about a 9. His style of Jiu Jitsu is very smooth and is filled with seamless transitions when you begin to chain things together. Roy Dean is the truth, and his passion for BJJ can be felt by simply watching his videos.

How can you possibly know they are top quality without ever viewing them or ever trying the techniques? You are simply a parrot that replays other peoples experiences and opinions and passes them off as your own.

To the op. Roys techniques are very smooth and it is good stuff. 90% of the techniques on the DVD were on my recent blue belt test.

OP, Roy Deans instructionals are an excellent resource and work really well as research between mat time.

+1, Roy Dean markets the vids (imo) exactly as they should be, others seem to think they are instructional's that will take a person from zero training to blue belt level.

For a person with zero training, I would get either gracie combatives or Gracie Barra Fundamentals.

Last edited:
His instructionals are formatted very well, he has nice attention to details. I would highly recommend them. You should also pickup Saulo's book Jiu-jitsu university, its a great read.

How can you possibly know they are top quality without ever viewing them or ever trying the techniques? You are simply a parrot that replays other peoples experiences and opinions and passes them off as your own.

To the op. Roys techniques are very smooth and it is good stuff. 90% of the techniques on the DVD were on my recent blue belt test.

dude is in standup forum posting what muay thai dvds to buy also, do not think he trains MT either.

GSparky, I don't want to be an arsehole. But I think you are forcing me to be. You seem like a nice guy and tried to be helpful to people but you really need to train before you can start commenting on how good their instructionals are.

To be fair, in this instance all he says is that he's heard (presumably from people who do train?) that the DVDs are good. He doesn't actually comment on how good they are based on his own opinion.

I like Professor Dean's DVD's.

The techniques are well explained (I've watched the blue belt and disc 1 of the purple belt DVD). Even more than the techniques I think that his perspective on BJJ is unique and refreshing. You get the sense that he really cares about teaching the art and making sure that people really learn. I like his metaphor that BJJ is like learning a language.

i rented the bluebelt one and made a copy of it so i own it

its a very good dvd but it wont repkace mayt time but i would recomend anyone who is at a bjj school to get a copy to review what they are learning when not in class on the mat

To be fair, in this instance all he says is that he's heard (presumably from people who do train?) that the DVDs are good. He doesn't actually comment on how good they are based on his own opinion.

So he effectively added nothing by posting his opinion then.

He might as well have typed, I have never viewed this DVD or practiced any move from this DVD or any other move so my opinion will not help you in anyway as I have no credentials to answer your question, but I heard it was good.

gsparky, i've known u didn't train for a while but i finally decided to look at your profile now. and although it makes sense now as to why you aren't training, i really think you should go in and get at it.
while reading i realized u were +300lbs, which is a big hurdle, but i have a friend who started over 300 and is now under 200 (this took like a year or two of muay thai).
my school's head instructor and owner is waay bigger than you. so, be certain you're not in a unique situation and if u get in there, even 2-3 times a week, u'll get there so much faster.

I own both the Blue and Purple belt DVDs. Both are frickin' excellent.

sparky.... do.... eeeeeeet.....

it's going to save your life.

it's as simple as that.

Back