• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How is this squat rack?

SteelFlex

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't really have the money nor space for a full out power rack so I was looking at alternatives and this seems like the best bet. Now i realize that this rack only has a limit of 400 pounds, but i'm only 140 pounds and mostly lifting for bjj. I figure it would take a really long time before or ever squat 400 pounds. So what do you guys think?

Amazon.com: Best Fitness BFPR10 Multi Press Rack: Sports & Outdoors

I think you could do better.

The spacing between the holes is ridiculous. It looks like you can only adjust it in 6" increments.

The safety bars look too short to be very effective.

The cross support in the front looks like it would be in the way.

I know you said you have limited space and money, but personally, I would pass on it. Keep an eye out on Cragslist for something better.

Forget it. That cross-piece on the bottom is a deal-breaker.

Remember, for squats, the bar is going to be more or less over your mid-foot at all times. That's true for back squats, front squats and Zercher squats.

The way that rack is built, there's no way to move your feet into that position without stepping over the crosspiece, or stepping on it -- both of which are completely untenable options.

I don't even see how you can lift from that, the support that bridges both arms is in front, where you stand.

edit: flak said it first

Here's a link to a Google page with a low-priced Body Solid Powerline squat rack that you can get for $155 from Amazon.com and $120 from Sam's Club.

It's far from perfect -- for starters, I was unable to find info re: the spacing between holes, or the rated maximum weight it'll hold. But at least you can walk in and out of the fucking thing -- Powerline PSS60X Squat Rack

i think if you flip the first one upside down its fairly usable

Here's a link to a Google page with a low-priced Body Solid Powerline squat rack that you can get for $155 from Amazon.com and $120 from Sam's Club.

It's far from perfect -- for starters, I was unable to find info re: the spacing between holes, or the rated maximum weight it'll hold. But at least you can walk in and out of the fucking thing -- Powerline PSS60X Squat Rack

This is what I've got and have never had any problems with it, have had it for around three years. I'm not sure what the exact spacing between holes is, but it's pretty small, plenty of choices. The only problem with the spacing I can see is if you're pretty tall, I'm about 6'2" with my lifting shoes on and the highest it can go is about perfect. I'd rather have a power rack, but for what it is it's a good rack.

This is what I've got and have never had any problems with it, have had it for around three years. I'm not sure what the exact spacing between holes is, but it's pretty small, plenty of choices. The only problem with the spacing I can see is if you're pretty tall, I'm about 6'2" with my lifting shoes on and the highest it can go is about perfect. I'd rather have a power rack, for what it is it's a good rack.

Cool.

Well the powerline rack would suit your needs well. But for $20 I made these stands from home depot.

60 lbs of concrete in each stand and loaded/racked 300 lbs no problem. They are pretty heavy. I got some 2x4s and measured them to the heights I wanted (squat height about mid scapula). Made the little sections for the bar 1.5" tall and put screws in every layer of the wood. Mine is stained because I had leftover stain from finishing my platform

very very simple to make:
(2) 5 gallon buckets
(2) 60lb bags of concrete
3" Screws
2x4 wood (they cut the wood at home depot for free so you just have to make the measurements)
dsc01538u.jpg

dsc01539v.jpg

dsc01540i.jpg

dsc01541.jpg

I got a sorinex rack now but these have served their purpose for a long time. I live in Cali and I don't use them anymore.

I don't really have the money nor space for a full out power rack so I was looking at alternatives and this seems like the best bet. Now i realize that this rack only has a limit of 400 pounds, but i'm only 140 pounds and mostly lifting for bjj. I figure it would take a really long time before or ever squat 400 pounds. So what do you guys think?

Amazon.com: Best Fitness BFPR10 Multi Press Rack: Sports & Outdoors

I just ordered this: Valor Fitness Combo Squat Stand / Bench Rack

It holds 400 lbs and doubles as a bench rack. I know the safety bars leave something to be desired but it seems alot better then what you are currently thinking about. Also I ordered from the website but have since found it on overstock.com for 155 I think.

Powerline-Power-Rack.jpg

I recently bought this one from sams club and couldnt be happier. Much more stable than it looks and doesnt have any give to it whatsoever. Ive had 190 on the hooks while doin pullups on the built in pullup bar and havent had so much as a squeak. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good rack. My only regret is the shirtless guy didnt come with it.

Well the powerline rack would suit your needs well. But for $20 I made these stands from home depot.

60 lbs of concrete in each stand and loaded/racked 300 lbs no problem. They are pretty heavy. I got some 2x4s and measured them to the heights I wanted (squat height about mid scapula). Made the little sections for the bar 1.5" tall and put screws in every layer of the wood. Mine is stained because I had leftover stain from finishing my platform

very very simple to make:
(2) 5 gallon buckets
(2) 60lb bags of concrete
3" Screws
2x4 wood (they cut the wood at home depot for free so you just have to make the measurements)
dsc01538u.jpg

dsc01539v.jpg

dsc01540i.jpg

dsc01541.jpg

I got a sorinex rack now but these have served their purpose for a long time. I live in Cali and I don't use them anymore.

Good stuff man.

Powerline-Power-Rack.jpg

I recently bought this one from sams club and couldnt be happier. Much more stable than it looks and doesnt have any give to it whatsoever. Ive had 190 on the hooks while doin pullups on the built in pullup bar and havent had so much as a squeak. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good rack. My only regret is the shirtless guy didnt come with it.
+1, I got this one, and it's really good, even if I eventually got a smaller one later. I would add that the pull-ups bar feels really nice to hold.
When/if I get a garage, I'll mount it back and use it for my squats.

Yeah, I was considering those kind of squat racks also. How do you like them? Anyone else have any experiences with them? I was thinking of putting sawhorses on them also as a safety bar.

Yeah, I was considering those kind of squat racks also. How do you like them? Anyone else have any experiences with them? I was thinking of putting sawhorses on them also as a safety bar.

I haven't used one, though SteveR said he has this exact model and likes it. Combining this rack with sawhorses sounds like a good idea.

Powerline-Power-Rack.jpg

I had this rack for a while too. If you have the space, infinitely better than squat stands if you are powerlifting

Back