How is Chandlers cardio?

Marko Polo

Thank you Jurgen
@Black
Reaction score
It’s crazy, the older and more knowledgable I get about the fighters and mixed martial arts, it never becomes any easier to make predictions how a fight will turn out. How I imagine this fight turning out is they sort of cancel eachother on the feet and then Chandler maybe starts to take more risks and either a) gasses himself out or b) catches Oliveira. Charles has grown into a great striker, but he’s still primarily a submission artist and is hittable.

It’s crazy, the older and more knowledgable I get about the fighters and mixed martial arts, it never becomes any easier to make predictions how a fight will turn out. How I imagine this fight turning out is they sort of cancel eachother on the feet and then Chandler maybe starts to take more risks and either a) gasses himself out or b) catches Oliveira. Charles has grown into a great striker, but he’s still primarily a submission artist and is hittable.
They're both front runners. Chandler's 35. I'm going with the younger less attritioned fighter

Last edited:
He's the most dangerous during the first 2 rounds and will look for a finish during that period.
After that he doesn't necessarily fade out, but starts to cruise throughout the last 3 rounds and won't try as much to finish his opponent.

He throws so much and so hard that no matter how good his cardio is he can't keep it up for 5. He generally takes breather rounds and then goes hard the next.

That being said, its really fucking good. If he paced himself like a Diaz does, he would be known as a cardio machine.

As he has gotten older he has paced himself much better as well. He used to use much more energy because his striking wasn't nearly as developed as it is now.

Chandlers cardio is outstanding. He got tired in round 5 of the Bendo fight after going 130 mph for 20 mins. I can’t recall him gassing besides that tho.
I guess you haven't seen the Eddie fight where he was dying of exhaustion. Or the will brooks fight particularly the second one.

If he is forced to defend grappling transitions which Charles is capable of making him do, he will gas. He'll still throw but he'll gas

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if this fight goes past the 2nd round. I predict Chandler is going to get another 1st round ko because he seems to have really developed the right technique to deliver his power and I don't think Oliveira's defense is good enough to avoid that. If I'm wrong about Oliveira's defense, and he can avoid the power, then he should be able to land enough of his own to put Chandler away in the second.

As far as I can tell, Chandler's cardio has never been an issue--at least, not a significant one--for him in fights. He fought Alvarez, Primus, and Bendo very hard in the championship rounds of their fights. MAYBE you can look at the Will Brooks fight as an example of him showing poor cardio, but I think that had more to do with Brooks wearing him down rather than Chandler gassing out. I would've loved to see a Chandler vs Khabib fight a couple of years ago, because that could've been very interesting.

I've definitely seen Oliveira gas a lot more times than I've seen Chandler gas. Having said that, most of Oliveira's cardio issues were at 145 when he was cutting a huge amount of weight. At 155 he hasn't had an issue. Although he hasn't really been in any lengthy wars, even the Tony fight which went the distance wasn't really a war as he controlled every second of that fight.

They're both front runners. Chandler's 35. I'm going with the younger less attritioned fighter
Which is why this fight is so exciting. I can see either of them winning. I’m going with Chandler’s just cause I can’t see Charles surviving if Chandler manages to land clean. But we’ll see

I guess you haven't seen the Eddie fight where he was dying of exhaustion. Or the will brooks fight particularly the second one.

If he is forced to defend grappling transitions which Charles is capable of making him do, he will gas. He'll still throw but he'll gas

The Eddie fight where he subbed him in the 4th? That rematch was close as hell too. His pace is insane, it’s a pace issue not a cardio issue. It’s not like he’s conor.

That's not really the best way to gauge cardio, the record holders in marathons, ultra marathons, iron mans, etc are by older competitors.

Eliud Kipchoge set the record for 26.2 miles under 2 hours in 2019 and he's 36. An average pace of just under 4:35 per mile.

I think it deals more with fighters that get older don't train as hard as they used to as they get older. These marathon runners train just as hard or harder as they get older. From what it seems like the older the fighters get the more they focus on family life and that becomes their focus compared to their training and fighting.

Last edited:
Chandlers cardio and mental edge makes this a very interesting fight considering how much reach he is giving up.

Back