How important is for you Bjj competition?

Heck not only teammates in my experience.

Sure there has been some animosity with certain clubs when I have went to BJJ comps. some ref issues and whatnot but it is a minority that behave poorly and the majority bond over the sillyness of it at all

I take part in a SW league and it is the best atmopshere ever. I played and attended teamsports growing up and it was way more hostile. Everybody is positive, you met cool new people with a passion

I agree with your about the winning thou:icon_chee

I can say I am a the biggest and baddest whitebelt around!

yeah... I agree with you there!

For me BJJ is a sport so competition is an integral part of BJJ for me. I compete as often as possible, typically 2 times a month, and focus all my training around competitions.

Not that important to me, I do maybe two a year. I do BJJ for fun and the camaraderie. I train pretty much the same way all year but then I'm much older than a lot of the guys here.

Competition is where you go 100% and really test yourself and your jiu jitsu. I compete in about 6-8 tournaments a year, it's fun plus winning is awesome. Medals, belts, trophies are physical manifestations of a point in time where you and your jiu jitsu won the day.

Not very important. I do them, and I'd like to do them more often because they're always fun. On the other hand they're often expensive for what they are.

I think its important for the development of BJJ, but I really don't take competitions very seriously. I don't cut weight, or do specific training. I just show up to have fun, hopefully get a sub.

Its importance and non-importance are of equal value.

I compete a few times per year just to know if I am legit or not. That's somewhat important to me.

I also want to be a good role model for the younger guys. "Don't be scared, homey."

I am not afraid to put it all on the line once and a while.

However, I don't want to be in constant comp mode. I want to just chill once and a while and reap the benefits of my consistent training.

To be honest, I would probably not be doing bjj if it were not for competitions. They are the reason why I train and I think that if you want to get good they are extremely important for everyone. My motivation for training is the next competition that is coming up. I always have a competition that I am preparing for. It makes me get in the gym as much as I can and keep my diet clean year round. It is hard to deny that the best grapplers all compete often. I highly doubt that their are guys who would give cobrinha, marcello, roger, etc trouble that we just don't know about because they don't compete. Even at the lower belts that same is true, it is very unlikely that there are random blues, purples, or browns that are going to beat the world champions in their divison. There are several purple belt world champs at my school so I can tell you first hand that they are on a whole different level compared to your average purple who doesn't compete or rarely competes.

Not as much as it should be, but I don't have big enough pockets for it to be otherwise. I compete as often as I can. I think it's something very important because you have to put all excuses and goals to the side and actively search for the submission, and that really reveals the holes you might have on your skills.

Should be vital to everyones training, once you win gold you cant go without it!

Competition is not the end all be all but it is really helpful to go to a few comps. I can't really say much that hasn't already been said, but competition is essential to maximizing your game. Just my $.02..

To be honest, I would probably not be doing bjj if it were not for competitions. They are the reason why I train and I think that if you want to get good they are extremely important for everyone. My motivation for training is the next competition that is coming up. I always have a competition that I am preparing for. It makes me get in the gym as much as I can and keep my diet clean year round. It is hard to deny that the best grapplers all compete often. I highly doubt that their are guys who would give cobrinha, marcello, roger, etc trouble that we just don't know about because they don't compete. Even at the lower belts that same is true, it is very unlikely that there are random blues, purples, or browns that are going to beat the world champions in their divison. There are several purple belt world champs at my school so I can tell you first hand that they are on a whole different level compared to your average purple who doesn't compete or rarely competes.
This.

One of the reasons I like to compete in tournaments (e.g., NAGA and Grapplers Quest) is for the opportunity to grapple against people of other styles. This is especially true of no gi divisions. For example, I have had the opportunity to grapple against pure wrestlers, sambo artists and judokas. Each tends to focus on different areas of grappling and it is enlightening to experience the strategies of each type of artist. This has been quite an eye opener for me and is not an opportunity I would get just rolling at my brazilian jiu jitsu school.

For me, I have absolutely zero interest in competing. I am not saying this is right for everyone else. But, it works for me. I started in 1993 with Rickson in Laguna Niguel. My goals are to be consistent and keep training hopefully always improving a little bit in the process.

For me, it is all about the journey. Steady and slow.

For me, I have absolutely zero interest in competing. I am not saying this is right for everyone else. But, it works for me. I started in 1993 with Rickson in Laguna Niguel. My goals are to be consistent and keep training hopefully always improving a little bit in the process.

For me, it is all about the journey. Steady and slow.

wow!
you should be one of th first bjj guys here if you started in 1993.
black belt? do you fight in a competition?

1) I train to train.
2) I train to measure myself against other people.
3) I train to measure myself against myself.

It's not really that important to me, but I do it from time to time just to get to roll with different people almost similar to a larger seminar.

It was important up to my Black Belt, since then I have focused more on teaching. I still like to hit a few events a year if possible, but I'm not going to kill myself to get there.

Back