How important is for you Bjj competition?

genkisudo69

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
i just want to know how important is for you guys bjj competition.
for some people is just a face of bjj and not the most important.
for others competition is all and they travel around the world to win titles.
some just get obsesion with victories, titles and medals.

i mean, which is your aproach to competition?
is so important to you or is just another art of bjj?

thank you!

i just want to know how important bjj competition is for you guys
for some people is just a face of bjj and not the most important. ???
for others competition is everything and they travel around the world to win titles.
some just get obsessed with victories, titles and medals.

i mean, what is your aproach to competition?
is it the most important to you or is just another art of bjj?

thank you!

fixed to be readable. It took me a few minutes to understand what I just read. Not bad since english obviously isnt your 1st language. (not being a dick just saying. My english sucks too lol)

I havent competed yet but am going to soon. I have a feeling all my focus will end up around competing. I loved wrestling tourneys in HS some of the most fun events ive ever taken part in. Ill probably love BJJ just as much.

How long do you guys think is enough before I start competing? Im closing in on 3 months training in the gym 6 days a week. Id like to start soon even though I still feel useless rolling in class except with other whitebelts who show up way less often than i do

I was never a big competitor but I am joining our competiton team.

I want to prove myself to myself. To know that I stepped up and stopped making excuses for why I didn't like to compete or why I would miss this tournament for xyz reason.

Competitng shows you where you are in your progression, it shows you holes in your game you otherwise might not see due to rolling agaisnt the same guys over and over in the gym.

It gives you people to chase, things to work for etc. It's not the end all be all of bjj but I think it is beneficial to conquer the nerves and fears and train hard to step on the mat and compete.

For me it's not very important right now. I feel like I benefit just as much from visiting other schools and training, or training with people who visit the school I train at. I do enjoy competing from time to time as well, though, and do it mostly for fun.

All I have to say is, I don't go to BJJ class to rack up "gym wins." I train to compete and get to black with as much technique/skill as possible and fast as possible.

for my 2nd competition I started training 3 months out, was putting in 12 hours a week of training because I really wanted to compete and win. of course i lost in my first fight.

i was disappointed, but my jiu jitsu, conditioning, focus and work ethic all improved over those 3 months. and that's when i became less worried about winning, as opposed to just focusing on getting better.

if you approach competitions with a healthy attitude, the side effect is that you WILL get better regardless of whether you win or lose.

competitions will expose your weaknesses. focus on how you lost, why you lost in order to learn. even if you win, figure out what you could have done better. work on those after the competition and those lessons will stick with you for sure. (video footage should be meant for helping you learn

competition will also build mental strength. being able to deal with fear, anxiety, nervousness is all very important. becoming familiar with these feelings will help you deal with them in the future with a calm state of mind. there will also be a point where you will be exhausted, and feel like you've got nothing left. learning to not quit, and learning to fight through that feeling where your body is telling you to give up, is probably one of the most important things a man can learn in these modern times (in my opinion). and i don't mean 'dont tapout no matter what' i just mean fight to the point where regardless of whether you win or not, you can walk away with self respect.

i think it's reasonable to compete 4-5 times a year for a hobbyist. even just committing to a tournament, will motivate/force you to go to class consistently, and that in itself will help you improve.

in short, i think it's very important, if not essential, if you want to see your jiu jitsu improve quickly.

to the poster above: i think competing right away will definitely help you deal with the nerves of competing so there's nothing wrong with competing early on...i guess, my advice is be careful not to get hurt

i like competing but i don't need to compete.

this works for me but i approach every competition as if i am woefully unprepared, i don't have to win and i just want to have fun (all of which feel somewhat true to me sometimes). what usually happens is i exceed my expectations exponentially, perform well and sometimes win. i don't keep my record because its not that important to me.

i dunno why but this approach works for me and i usually feel better for having competed than not. im just not all that interested in becoming a world champ or anything like that, though that may change one day

It's not my #1 focus, but it's something I am trying to do more, and get better at. I use it as more of a test and measuring stick.

i used to think to myself bjj was something that started out as a style of fighting but is now just an aspect of fighting.

i want to be able to compete for a few reasons. for myself and to represent my team

Just mentioning to my team that I want to go to a Judo competition makes my game better. Everyone will randori with me, everyone will give me tips, everyone will take falls so I can work throws. It's beautiful. Competitors get more intense training and the better training partners.

Most of the guys I know that don't compete make excuses not to because they're scared. Tournaments are boring if you have to sit around all day to compete, expensive to register, too far of a drive, blah, blah and blah.

I dont think competitions are the only important thing, and I dont even think winning is THE most important thing. But knowing a bunch of people are going to watch you potentially get destroyed by a complete stranger really lights a fire under my ass to fix the holes in my game. And knowing that I'm not too scared to use what I pay so much and train so hard to learn is an awesome feeling.

I just like to have fun competing. I mainly do tournaments that are local, however being in southern california the pan ams and the worlds are local.... I don't go crazy preparing for a tournament, my training is the same year round pretty much.

I'm putting a very heavy emphasis on competition right now. I think it helps my game, it also helps with the self defense aspect as your dealing with a person who is going at you 100%, and it's an amazing feeling to do well in competition.

I'm a firm believer in the importance of stepping out of your comfort zone whenever possible and BJJ comps are a great way to do just that.

well... it's VERY important to me. why??? because of the camaraderie it builds amongst team mates, learning more about the art / culture, being able to interact with the greats of our art (I actually get recognized by Cobrihna now), watching great competitors with SICK jiu jitsu, testing your skills against new people, the support you get from your team, oh yeah... winning :),

it keeps me in line, less drinking, less smoking, not eating trash as much and it is fun as hell, I am better at comps then class, it is like I got a mental block in training

I would like to compete more but there aren't really that many comps avaible here, and as a super super heavy weight I don't get as many matches as other guys

well... it's VERY important to me. why??? because of the camaraderie it builds amongst team mates, oh and winning

Heck not only teammates in my experience.

Sure there has been some animosity with certain clubs when I have went to BJJ comps. some ref issues and whatnot but it is a minority that behave poorly and the majority bond over the sillyness of it at all

I take part in a SW league and it is the best atmopshere ever. I played and attended teamsports growing up and it was way more hostile. Everybody is positive, you met cool new people with a passion

I agree with your about the winning thou:icon_chee

I can say I am a the biggest and baddest whitebelt around!

Knowledge is useless without application.

It's why I went from weightlifting/strongman gym obsession, to MMA.

I know hobby'ists would disagree with me, they are entitled to. Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

It's not my #1 focus, but it's something I am trying to do more, and get better at. I use it as more of a test and measuring stick.

Same here. I am not a big comp guy, but I do compete a few times a year to test my game against other schools and styles of BJJ. I learn something everytime I compete whether I win or lose. Rolling against the same guys at my school we all figure out each others game and sometimes it's harder to push each other if you have the same skill level. Just my take on it.:D

I really don't care for tourneys all that much. Mostly because I take Saturdays and Sundays off to do other things but also because I just don't want to do them : D. I do atleast one tournament a year just because I'm the only person in my weight class at my academy so I chose the tournament that most of the guys are going to and hopefully do well and help the school gain some more publicity. Other then that I'm fine being an in-house warrior.

Like everyone has said. I like to test myself to see where I am compared to other people. I also like to see how my instructor's/ school's way of bjj compares to the other schools. Every school is different in it's methology when it comes to teaching so it really interests me to see what other schools are about. It also helps me live a healthier lifestyle when I know I want to compete again.

Back