How I Made My Own Medicine Ball In Under 20 Minutes for Under $20*Pics*

A

ASEGSEA

medicineball__large.jpg

Example^

Hey guys, after looking around the series-o-tubes for DIY medicine ball, I decided to just jump in and make one. It's real simple, fully capable of slamming (even on concrete), and weighs up to 25lbs. I decided to make my own after getting the supplies to make my own drag sled. I figured since I was on my way to Home Depot to build my judo floor, and I may as well get the sand and Gorilla tape and put that old basket ball to use. It's a really easy job with a lot of forgiveness for error. And the beauty of this project is that other than the Gorilla tape, you can get this stuff anywhere.

I detailed below my adventure of DIY. Once I get the drag sled going I'll post that up also. After that will be getting an old tractor tire for lift work and sledgehammer smashing, and then maybe a Bulgarian bag.

Let me know if you use this to make your own! And as always, feel free to ask questions or for more pics!

here's the full guide and how-to: http://www.trialbyfiremma.com/do-it-yourself/diy-medicine-ball/

(...continued below)

Last edited by a moderator:
For full steps visit: http://www.trialbyfiremma.com/do-it-yourself/diy-medicine-ball/

4.) Once filled apply tape over the flap several times. I put small strips over the flap first to sort of patch it, then I applied a long piece that circled the entire ball.

5.) And while I said functionality over beauty, I taped over the entire basketball just to make it a little easier to look at. Also, more tape prevents the sand from crashing through the flap upon impact. Granted, I had to slam mine repeatedly over concrete to make it tear, I'd rather be sure it'll last when I slam it on dirt.

5.1) As you can see, even with more tape around it, the ball busts:

6.) The key to taping is focus on the flap. Starting or ending the tape strip on the flap weakens the hold, thus applying the strip's middle onto the flap is key. If that statement is confusing then think of like this: hold each end of the tape in your hand. Now find the middle between your hands on the tape. Now apply the center of that onto the flap, and press the ends against the ball.

7.) Here is my end product!

The ball is almost 25lbs exactly. The camera is angled so the needle doesn't rest on the 25 mark, but believe me, it's close.

And there you have it. Making your own medicine ball is as easy as cutting a ball, filling it with sand, and taping it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a basketball done much the same but I glued the slit I put in it closed and covered the area with superglue,then taped it up.Nice job.

man ive wanted to get a medicine ball for awhile but couldnt find the weight i wanted without throwing down some good cash. this is awesome. thanks man.

man ive wanted to get a medicine ball for awhile but couldnt find the weight i wanted without throwing down some good cash. this is awesome. thanks man.

What weight are you looking for? I haven't seen just yet on medicine balls over 25 lbs, but I'll keep looking.

Nice shoes.

This.

You made this whole medicine ball instructional just as a way to show off your Vibrams, didn't you? DIDNT YOU!!!

jp though, good job. Any ideas on making kettlebells? Those bitches be expensive.

This.

You made this whole medicine ball instructional just as a way to show off your Vibrams, didn't you? DIDNT YOU!!!

jp though, good job. Any ideas on making kettlebells? Those bitches be expensive.

Haha, I knew there would be comments about them.

Dude, kettleballs were up there in my searches for DIY techniques.

Here's a link I may check out later: DIY Kettlebells for under $10

But whatever I make will come nowhere near as close to cool as this: PowerBlock - World''s Best Dumbbell
426.png

thanks for the thread! .. and you use Vibrams!??! haha! me too! my calves killed me the first few weeks. All good now.

My calves are better now that I perform all of my exercises with them. Going to make your medicine ball? Basket balls at Wal-Mart are only $5.

great also made mine just like this also made a bulgarian bag with an old car tube

My calves are better now that I perform all of my exercises with them. Going to make your medicine ball? Basket balls at Wal-Mart are only $5.

Damn right. Sold CoD: Black Ops today on Craigslist (for $60). So tomorrow i'm going out to make my medicine ball! Thanks for the info!

Thanks for getting me hooked on Instructables - Make, How To, and DIY, Law Bob! I'll be making my own farmer's walk handles too. How to make portable farmer's walk handles I didn't come across a guide for this one, but I may try to make my own version of this (strongman logs). Rogue Fitness

If I'm successful, I'll have to post it on there. I've got several acres of trees to choose from, so I don't have much of an excuse not to give it a shot.

Did you ever get started on that project, Bushido?

I've made a couple medicine balls out of basketballs. Gorilla tape is awesome.

One thing I like to do, to improve grip and allow some other exercises, is to buy a basketball net and wrap it around the ball.

Just use some heavy duty plastic zip ties on both ends. I use multiple ties. Leave the long loops, where you'd normally hook the net to the rim, loose and you can zip tie them together and tape them in to a handle.

You end up with a medicine ball with web-like grip running around it, plus it becomes a tornado ball or even a sort of pseudo-kettlebell.

I have two right now. Some times slams will break the zip ties, so I don't swing the same ball I use for slams/throws.

So long as you periodically check the netting for rips (and rips do happen), you're good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back